    Is that correct? Please advise & comment.

    Thanks!!

    , Nov 18, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I want to clarify the concept of submitting the form to the web server.
    > PHP is just an example here, it applies to any web programming
    > languages.

    Since I'm replying from clpmisc, and before somebody else says it: Perl
    is used for more than web programming. Many seasoned Perl programmers
    are not doing web programming at all.

    > On page1.php,
    > <form name="myform" action="otherpage.php" method="post">
    >
    > means 2 steps here:
    > 1) submit the form called "myform" on page1.php to the web server using
    > HTTP POST method.

    Almost agreed. Rather than submitting the form you submit a set of data
    by help of the form.

    > 2) open otherpage.php

    I'd say: "ask otherpage.php to do something with the submitted data".

    > Also, otherpage.php can be page1.php itself,

    Yes.

    > that means post the page to itself,

    No. You don't post "the page", you post some data. Neither do you post
    the data to "the page", you post them to the server, asking the server
    to let _the script_ handle the data.

    > or this is called POST BACK.

    Have never heard that expression.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Nov 18, 2005

  3. wrote:
    > I want to clarify the concept of submitting the form to the web
    > server. PHP is just an example here, it applies to any web programming
    > languages.

    Ah, ok, thanks for clarifying that you are _not_ talking about Perl.

    [...]
    > Is that correct? Please advise & comment.

    Don't know. Do you have a question about Perl, too?

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Nov 18, 2005
  4. Erwin Moller Guest

    wrote:

    > I want to clarify the concept of submitting the form to the web server.
    > PHP is just an example here, it applies to any web programming
    > languages.
    >
    > On page1.php,
    > <form name="myform" action="otherpage.php" method="post">
    >
    > means 2 steps here:
    > 1) submit the form called "myform" on page1.php to the web server using
    > HTTP POST method.
    > 2) open otherpage.php
    >
    > Also, otherpage.php can be page1.php itself, that means post the page
    > to itself, or this is called POST BACK.
    >
    > Is that correct? Please advise & comment.
    >
    > Thanks!!

    Hi struts,

    Please do not post to a zillion newsgroups.
    That is annoying.
    And now I am annoying everybody in groups I never visit too by replying to
    them all.

    It is a common mistake to expect faster answers by posting to all groups
    that possibly might have something to do with your problem.
    Many people get irritated when you do that, as you maybe noticed.

    If you post to 1 active group, you will get your answer.
    Posting to many groups will lead to broken threads, and thus discussions
    become impossible to follow.
    Especially simple questions like this one will be answered in no time in any
    respectable group..

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller

    Erwin Moller, Nov 18, 2005
  5. [ Followups set ]

    <> wrote:

    > it applies to any web programming
    > languages.

    Then posting to a programming language newsgroup is inappropriate.

    Also, how is a "web programming language" different from
    a "programming language"?

    > Please advise & comment.

    Don't make off-topic postings.

    --