    Is that correct? Please advise & comment.

    Thanks!!
    , Nov 18, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I want to clarify the concept of submitting the form to the web server.
    > PHP is just an example here, it applies to any web programming
    > languages.

    Since I'm replying from clpmisc, and before somebody else says it: Perl
    is used for more than web programming. Many seasoned Perl programmers
    are not doing web programming at all.

    > On page1.php,
    > <form name="myform" action="otherpage.php" method="post">
    >
    > means 2 steps here:
    > 1) submit the form called "myform" on page1.php to the web server using
    > HTTP POST method.

    Almost agreed. Rather than submitting the form you submit a set of data
    by help of the form.

    > 2) open otherpage.php

    I'd say: "ask otherpage.php to do something with the submitted data".

    > Also, otherpage.php can be page1.php itself,

    Yes.

    > that means post the page to itself,

    No. You don't post "the page", you post some data. Neither do you post
    the data to "the page", you post them to the server, asking the server
    to let _the script_ handle the data.

    > or this is called POST BACK.

    Have never heard that expression.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Nov 18, 2005

    wrote:
    > I want to clarify the concept of submitting the form to the web server.
    > PHP is just an example here, it applies to any web programming
    > languages.

    Maybe so, but this is a forum that is dedicated to talking about Perl
    programming issues. We don't discuss generalities. In addition, this
    forum encourages the use of guidelines which have been agreed upon by
    the active community; violating these guidelines (as your post did in
    many respects) will not help you get helpful answers. You may review
    the guidelines at:
    http://mail.augustmail.com/~tadmc/clpmisc.shtml

    The Perl module that is most commonly used for HTML and form processing
    is called CGI and may be found on CPAN. If you read the documentation
    for that module and have questions which are specific to the use of the
    module (and not to the HTML which it generates) you are welcome to ask
    questions here. You might even get answers if you follow the posting
    guidelines.
    , Nov 18, 2005
  4. wrote:
    > We don't discuss generalities.

    I'd say we do. Very often.

    > In addition, this
    > forum encourages the use of guidelines which have been agreed upon by
    > the active community; violating these guidelines (as your post did in
    > many respects)

    In a narrow sense you are right, I suppose. Still, I like the original
    post. If more newbies made efforts to actually understand the CGI
    concept before they start coding CGI apps, we'd be spared a lot of
    unnecessary questions here. ;-)

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Nov 18, 2005

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > We don't discuss generalities.

    > I'd say we do. Very often.

    Well, you've got me there.

    > Still, I like the original post. If more newbies made efforts to actually
    > understand the CGI concept...

    You seem to be in a very generous mood today. The post was a
    scattershot question (to four very different newsgroups) which
    illustrated the question with html/php. The OP showed no indication
    that s/he knows anything about Perl at all, nor does the OP indicate
    that s/he has made the slightest effort to discover that such a thing
    as the CGI module exists.

    I did not regard the question as a sincere overture to understanding
    Perl CGI programming.
    , Nov 18, 2005
  6. wrote:
    > I want to clarify the concept of submitting the form to the web
    > server. PHP is just an example here, it applies to any web programming
    > languages.

    Ah, ok, thanks for clarifying that you are _not_ talking about Perl.

    [...]
    > Is that correct? Please advise & comment.

    Don't know. Do you have a question about Perl, too?

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Nov 18, 2005
  7. wrote:
    > Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
    >>Still, I like the original post. If more newbies made efforts to actually
    >>understand the CGI concept...

    > You seem to be in a very generous mood today.

    Maybe. I just woke up, and it's a wonderful morning where I live
    (Goteborg, Sweden). :)

    <snip>

    > I did not regard the question as a sincere overture to understanding
    > Perl CGI programming.

    What I mean is that _before_ you attempt to understand Perl CGI
    programming (or PHP programming etc.) you'd better try to get a basic
    understanding of the HTTP protocol, and I saw the question as a step in
    the right direction as regards the latter.

    Off-topic in clpmisc? Probably. Still this group would receive
    significantly fewer off-topic and/or unnecessary posts from Perl CGI
    programming newbies if more of them chose to do what the OP is currently
    doing.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Nov 18, 2005
  8. Erwin Moller Guest

    wrote:

    > I want to clarify the concept of submitting the form to the web server.
    > PHP is just an example here, it applies to any web programming
    > languages.
    >
    > On page1.php,
    > <form name="myform" action="otherpage.php" method="post">
    >
    > means 2 steps here:
    > 1) submit the form called "myform" on page1.php to the web server using
    > HTTP POST method.
    > 2) open otherpage.php
    >
    > Also, otherpage.php can be page1.php itself, that means post the page
    > to itself, or this is called POST BACK.
    >
    > Is that correct? Please advise & comment.
    >
    > Thanks!!

    Hi struts,

    Please do not post to a zillion newsgroups.
    That is annoying.
    And now I am annoying everybody in groups I never visit too by replying to
    them all.

    It is a common mistake to expect faster answers by posting to all groups
    that possibly might have something to do with your problem.
    Many people get irritated when you do that, as you maybe noticed.

    If you post to 1 active group, you will get your answer.
    Posting to many groups will lead to broken threads, and thus discussions
    become impossible to follow.
    Especially simple questions like this one will be answered in no time in any
    respectable group..

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller
    Erwin Moller, Nov 18, 2005
  9. Erwin Moller Guest

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
    >>>Still, I like the original post. If more newbies made efforts to actually
    >>>understand the CGI concept...

    >> You seem to be in a very generous mood today.

    > Maybe. I just woke up, and it's a wonderful morning where I live
    > (Goteborg, Sweden). :)

    It is rainy day here in Rotterdam, Netherlands. :p

    > <snip>
    >
    >> I did not regard the question as a sincere overture to understanding
    >> Perl CGI programming.

    > What I mean is that _before_ you attempt to understand Perl CGI
    > programming (or PHP programming etc.) you'd better try to get a basic
    > understanding of the HTTP protocol, and I saw the question as a step in
    > the right direction as regards the latter.
    >
    > Off-topic in clpmisc? Probably. Still this group would receive
    > significantly fewer off-topic and/or unnecessary posts from Perl CGI
    > programming newbies if more of them chose to do what the OP is currently
    > doing.

    Allow me to drop in here.
    (I just followed a random group the OP posted to, from comp.lang.php. :p)

    Of course the OP is doing the right thing trying to understand how CGI
    works, or HTTP-protocol, forms, etc. (which is probably all the same to him
    at the moment)
    Problem is that posting to many ng is just considered rude.
    Don't you hate it to see many 'RE: blabla' in your ng without any threads to
    follow? (Yes you can follow them if you start a dective-agency)
    I do.

    It has been years since I did any Perl.
    (Since I only did web/databasestuff, I switched to PHP.)

    Good to see you are all still alive and kicking! :)

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller
    Erwin Moller, Nov 18, 2005
  10. [ Followups set ]

    <> wrote:

    > it applies to any web programming
    > languages.

    Then posting to a programming language newsgroup is inappropriate.

    Also, how is a "web programming language" different from
    a "programming language"?

    > Please advise & comment.

    Don't make off-topic postings.

    --