    and how the webmaster accesses that info. Is there special software I need?
    Does anyone know of a good form tutorial that can help? Thanks.

    JC

    John Russell, Apr 18, 2006

  2. John Russell

    ironcorona Guest

    The easiest way to get form information is by using

    <form method="post" action="mailto:">

    in the form tags. [Where the email address is your email address.]
    This will open up the users default mail client and ask them to send
    you an email with the form information in it. This isn't exactly
    useful though, try it and you'll see why. It sends the information as
    a mess.

    Probably what you REALLY want to be doing is sending the form data to a
    programme on the server that interprets what the form sends you and
    turns it into useful information. One of the common ways to do this is
    by sending the data to a script (in a scripting language of your
    choice).

    I'm not really sure where you can get these from but just ask google
    about server-side form scripts. I just quickly took a look there seems
    to be some useful information
    http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/php/6

    ironcorona, Apr 18, 2006

  3. ironcorona wrote:
    > The easiest way to get form information is by using
    >
    > <form method="post" action="mailto:">

    Oh God. Please don't do that. It doesn't work.

    --
    Hywel

    Hywel Jenkins, Apr 18, 2006
  4. John Russell

    Debbie Guest

    Debbie, Apr 18, 2006
  5. Yes it does. Exactly as I've described. It sends the raw plaintext version
    of the form data, by email, to the email address specified. It's designed
    so that you can email the data to your CGI programme (or read it if thats
    floats your boat).

    Brian O'Connor, Apr 19, 2006
  6. [Top Posting corrected]

    Brian O'Connor wrote:
    > Yes it does. Exactly as I've described. It sends the raw plaintext version
    > of the form data, by email, to the email address specified. It's designed
    > so that you can email the data to your CGI programme (or read it if thats
    > floats your boat).

    No it doesn't. At least NOT dependably. Here is one of MANY links that
    explain why.

    http://www.apptools.com/rants/mailto.php
    Using Mailto in a Form Action

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 19, 2006
  7. John Russell

    ironcorona Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > No it doesn't. At least NOT dependably. Here is one of MANY links that
    > explain why.
    >
    > http://www.apptools.com/rants/mailto.php
    > Using Mailto in a Form Action

    Okay, okay, I see what you mean. I never thought of it that way because
    I've always had a mail client set up. Anyway, I wouldn't advise using
    mailto anyway (even if everything was set up properly). There's easier
    ways to get it to a CGI and it's pretty unfriendly to read by itself.

    ironcorona, Apr 19, 2006
  8. ironcorona wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> No it doesn't. At least NOT dependably. Here is one of MANY links that
    >> explain why.
    >>
    >> http://www.apptools.com/rants/mailto.php
    >> Using Mailto in a Form Action

    > Okay, okay, I see what you mean. I never thought of it that way because
    > I've always had a mail client set up. Anyway, I wouldn't advise using
    > mailto anyway (even if everything was set up properly). There's easier
    > ways to get it to a CGI and it's pretty unfriendly to read by itself.

    Absolutely agree, as much as I prefer Perl, PHP makes it pretty easy.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 19, 2006
  9. Brian O'Connor wrote:
    > "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    >> ironcorona wrote:
    >>> The easiest way to get form information is by using
    >>>
    >>> <form method="post" action="mailto:">

    >> Oh God. Please don't do that. It doesn't work.

    > Yes it does. Exactly as I've described. It sends the raw plaintext

    version
    > of the form data, by email, to the email address specified. It's

    designed
    > so that you can email the data to your CGI programme (or read it if

    thats
    > floats your boat).

    There are two types of people with whom I refuse to have a battle of
    wits: those who top-post and those who are unarmed. Pick a category.

    --
    Hywel

    Hywel Jenkins, Apr 20, 2006
  10. On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Hywel Jenkins wrote:

    > > > Oh God. Please don't do that. It doesn't work.

    > > Yes it does. Exactly as I've described.

    It might do that from a subset of browsers and configurations.
    You've already been advised, quite correctly, that it is not a
    responsible thing to offer on the WWW.

    The only specified protocol for a form action attribute is http.
    Whatever happens when you use something else is, well, whatever
    happens.

    > > It sends the raw plaintext version of the form data, by email, to
    > > the email address specified.

    So it's not even in one of the defined form submission formats.
    Even worse.

    > > It's designed so that you can email the data to your CGI programme

    Now you're putting words together without achieving any coherent
    sense. The CGI is a defined software interface between a web server
    and your server-side "script" (using the term "script" in the generic
    sense in which it's commonly used in the relevant context).

    If you don't submit the form to a web server - using one of the
    submission formats defined in the HTML specification - then you
    haven't got the circumstances where the CGI software interface comes
    into play. So your talk of a "CGI programme"(sic) seems to be out of
    place.

    In short, you're on your own. Which might be fine if you were only
    doing it to yourself; but it appears you're proposing to do it to the
    web, which isn't nice.

    Alan J. Flavell, Apr 20, 2006