    true, will it be extended to win64 in teh future?
    thanks in advance
    wk
    wukong, Mar 31, 2010

  2. wukong

    Chris Rebert Guest

    On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 2:26 PM, wukong <> wrote:
    > subprocess works fine on my win pro 32-bit, but not on vista 64-bit.
    > am i doing some wrong, or it just won't work for win64?  If that's
    > true, will it be extended to win64 in teh future?

    Please characterize exactly how it is not working for you.
    Include any error message and/or exception traceback.

    Cheers,
    Chris
    --
    http://blog.rebertia.com
    Chris Rebert, Mar 31, 2010

  3. wukong

    wukong Guest

    On Mar 31, 2:33 pm, Chris Rebert <> wrote:
    > On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 2:26 PM, wukong <> wrote:
    > > subprocess works fine on my win pro 32-bit, but not on vista 64-bit.
    > > am i doing some wrong, or it just won't work for win64?  If that's
    > > true, will it be extended to win64 in teh future?

    > Please characterize exactly how it is not working for you.
    > Include any error message and/or exception traceback.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Chris
    > --http://blog.rebertia.com

    thanks for checking in, here's the error msg.
    """
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:/GUI/mainFunc.py", line 230, in OnSolve
    subprocess.call([filename])
    File "C:\Program Files (x86)\python26\lib\subprocess.py", line 470,
    in call
    return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
    File "C:\Program Files (x86)\python26\lib\subprocess.py", line 621,
    in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
    File "C:\Program Files (x86)\python26\lib\subprocess.py", line 830,
    in _execute_child
    startupinfo)
    WindowsError: [Error 14001] The application has failed to start
    because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the
    application event log for more detail
    """

    also subprocess.py clearly says
    """
    import sys
    mswindows = (sys.platform == "win32")
    """

    thanks
    wk
    wukong, Mar 31, 2010
  4. wukong

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 3/31/2010 5:26 PM, wukong wrote:
    > subprocess works fine on my win pro 32-bit, but not on vista 64-bit.

    You are more likely to get a helpful answer if you give a minimal
    example and explain exactly what 'not [works fine]' means. What did
    happen? Include full error traceback if there was one.
    Terry Reedy, Mar 31, 2010
  5. > WindowsError: [Error 14001] The application has failed to start
    > because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the
    > application event log for more detail

    This is a configuration error on your system. The application you are
    trying to start is incorrectly installed - it's not only that Python
    can't start it, but nobody can.

    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin v. Loewis, Mar 31, 2010
  6. wukong

    wukong Guest

    On Mar 31, 3:47 pm, "Martin v. Loewis" <> wrote:
    > > WindowsError: [Error 14001] The application has failed to start
    > > because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the
    > > application event log for more detail

    > This is a configuration error on your system. The application you are
    > trying to start is incorrectly installed - it's not only that Python
    > can't start it, but nobody can.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    but python runs happy otherwise, only this call to subprocess resulted
    in an err. does anyone know for sure subprocess runs on win64? or
    any others like, popen does?
    thanks
    wk
    wukong, Apr 1, 2010
  7. wukong

    wukong Guest

    On Mar 31, 3:47 pm, "Martin v. Loewis" <> wrote:
    > > WindowsError: [Error 14001] The application has failed to start
    > > because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the
    > > application event log for more detail

    > This is a configuration error on your system. The application you are
    > trying to start is incorrectly installed - it's not only that Python
    > can't start it, but nobody can.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    nad also as i mentioned previously, it runs great on win32.
    wukong, Apr 1, 2010
  8. wukong

    Steve Holden Guest

    wukong wrote:
    > On Mar 31, 3:47 pm, "Martin v. Loewis" <> wrote:
    >>> WindowsError: [Error 14001] The application has failed to start
    >>> because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the
    >>> application event log for more detail

    >> This is a configuration error on your system. The application you are
    >> trying to start is incorrectly installed - it's not only that Python
    >> can't start it, but nobody can.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Martin

    > but python runs happy otherwise, only this call to subprocess resulted
    > in an err. does anyone know for sure subprocess runs on win64? or
    > any others like, popen does?
    > thanks
    > wk

    Subprocess runs another program. It's the program you are running that's
    giving the error, Python is merely reporting it.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
    See PyCon Talks from Atlanta 2010 http://pycon.blip.tv/
    Steve Holden, Apr 1, 2010
  9. Hi!

    > side-by-side configuration is incorrect

    Others have given you an explanation.

    A possibility: you use a DLL directly, without having installed.
    That is OK with some DLL, and no OK with others DLL.

    @-salutations
    --
    Michel Claveau
    Michel Claveau - MVP, Apr 1, 2010
  10. >>>>> wukong <> (w) wrote:

    >w> also subprocess.py clearly says
    >w> """
    >w> import sys
    >w> mswindows = (sys.platform == "win32")
    >w> """

    It may sound strange, but even in 64-bit Python on Win64,
    sys.plattform=="win32".

    You can check that subprocess is working, e.g. with
    subprocess.call('dir', shell=True)
    --
    Piet van Oostrum <>
    WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/