subprocess.Popen not creating a pipe

Discussion in 'Python' started by Andrew Parker, Feb 1, 2009.

  1. I'm having some fun with Popen. I have the following line:

    process = subprocess.Popen(command, stdout=subprocess.PIPE,
    stderr=subprocess.STDOUT)
    print process.stdout

    Under normal circumstances, this displays:

    <open file '<stdout>', mode 'w' at 0xb7f8e068>

    However, I have a binary that I use to kick off this script, and when
    that runs, it displays:

    None

    So, two questions:

    1. What the heck is this binary doing that upsets Popen so much?
    2. What can *my script* do to get around this problem.

    Unfortunately I'm stuck using this binary, so its the python where I
    have to solve this.

    Any ideas?

    Andrew Parker, Feb 1, 2009