substitute for frames

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven aa:

[Beau said (attribute stripped by aa's ancient news reader):]
Who decided that and where it is fixed? Where Ian one read the
terms and conditions of using this resource?

http://www.html-faq.com/alt.html/?ontopic

<sigh> I suppose we need a new bullet point on this page, just for the
likes of you, who don't seem to catch on. Probably under:

"Things you are likely to get flamed about:"

* No posting in HTML; text only please
Readability of your post:

Sorry, my message is not intended for those who use Notepad to read
newsgroups.

We'll have to teach you how to read headers. Then you would discover
that my newsreader is over three years newer than yours.
I think I am talking to people who do HTML for OE6 which mean my
target audience have and use IE and OE.

HTML for OE6? Most of us write HTML for browsers.
Are you on an MS-DOS computer?

No. If you knew how to read headers... go ahead, read the header.
If you can afford Windows, use OE - it is included with the
installation disk.

I do not wish to regress to that ancient email client masquerading as
a news reader.
Many thanks. I eariler said that I take thinks like that from
people like rf and his likes as a compliment. Now I should append
that name-list with brucie and your honorable self. And I feel
this list is going to reach gigabyte size quickly.

Hah, as long as you continue to be a dickhead, I'm sure it will.
Good to know that. I do not need people like you neither read or
reply my messages. That is why I keep posting in HTML

...and pissing everyone off. Good for you.
Take care

You too.

Michael Winter

Who decided that and where it is fixed? Where Ian one read the terms
and conditions of using this resource?

It's usually stated in the group FAQ. Oddly enough, it's in the unofficial
FAQ, but not the official one. Nevertheless, this group is not in the
binaries hierarchy, so you simply don't transmit multi-part messages.
Readability of your post:

Sorry, my message is not intended for those who use Notepad to read
newsgroups.

No, of course it isn't. For a start, Notepad is a text editor, not a news
reader.

Your message is for this group which means it should be posted in plain
text only.
I think I am talking to people who do HTML for OE6 which mean my target
audience have and use IE and OE.
What?

Are you on an MS-DOS computer? If you can afford Windows, use OE - it is
included with the installation disk.

Why? I use Opera. It's far better than any of Microsoft's products. If you
must recommend a news reader, at least recommend a decent one.

[snip]
And I feel this list is going to reach gigabyte size quickly.

I take you don't know what a gigabyte is then.
Good to know that. I do not need people like you neither read or reply
my messages. That is why I keep posting in HTML

Mine doesn't show it either, but because I choose not to. I also use a
news server that limits what is posted to it (again by choice - why use a
slower binary server when I can use a fast text-only one?). It's a shame
though that it does propagate your posts.

Mike

Leif K-Brooks

aa said:
Sorry, my message is not intended for those who use Notepad to read
newsgroups. I think I am talking to people who do HTML for OE6 which
mean my target audience have and use IE and OE. Are you on an MS-DOS
computer?

Most of us author HTML for working browsers but have employers who force
us to make it work with broken browsers like IE.
If you can afford Windows, use OE - it is included with the
installation disk.

I can afford Windows, but I choose not to use Microsoft products because
they're harder to develop on, more evil, and buggier. I run Firefox and
Thunderbird on Fedora Core GNU/Linux.

My newsreader is perfectly capable of viewing HTML email, but I choose
to disable that feature.

aa

Your target audience:
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]
30% (i.e. a minority) of the posts to this newsgroup last week were posted
with Outlook Express.

I am catering for these 30% and do not care about the rest 70 because they
are made of people gathered in "Brucie of Brucie's Buttons" (my friend
brucie is a non-disputed champion on producing garbage) - the most
facinating thread I ever seen in a professional forum.
I could not force myself to read past first five posts, but the list of
posts there takes two full screen and made mainly of my opponents in other
thread who, among others, relentlessly keep accusing me of clogging the
Group.
An impressive collection for a psycoanalyst !

aa

Who decided that and where it is fixed? Where can one read the terms and conditions of using this resource?
It's usually stated in the group FAQ. Oddly enough, it's in the unofficial
FAQ, but not the official one.

Whatever is written in those FAQ not necessarily applies to here. Let me try to explain you in terms which are used by my opponents here and which seem to be accepted by the others:

You see "****" written on the wall. You come closer, touch it but...alas, no **** there - just bricks :-(

That FAQ has the same relevance to this NG as a word written on a wall.

this group is not in the binaries hierarchy

I do not post binaries, do I? HTML is a text

so you simply don't transmit multi-part messages.

Excuse me my ignorance, my I do not know what multi-part messages are. If I knew perhaps I would not transmit them.

No, of course it isn't. For a start, Notepad is a text editor, not a news
reader.

Thank you very much for the most valuable info. I thought that sense of humour was allowed in NG but not I see how wrong I was.

Your message is for this group which means it should be posted in plain
text only.

Could you please elaborate a bit on how you deduced the second half of that axioma from the first one?

I thought that people here are intellegent enough to see an elementary slip of pen. Now again I see how wrong I was. You seem to need clarifications.

Why? I use Opera.

You are using a web browser to read newsgroup?
And this browser does not support HTML tags?
Well I do not know how Opera is suited for NG. If you view a NG like just a webpage then it is not the most convenient. But one might like Opera, whereas the other ballet or beer.

It's far better than any of Microsoft's products.

I have naver been a MS fun, and think that Opera is a good product, but after you think about what you've just said you will be unpleasently surprised to see how many stupid thing one can say if does not think before saying.
must recommend a news reader, at least recommend a decent one.

Unlike my oponents I do not recommend anything unles I am asked to.

aa

CSS is a presentational tool.
HTML is a structural tool.

You may think this if it makes you feel better, Steve
I explained my view in more details in "From 'HTML' -> 'XML' -Why?" above

Michael Winter

[Quotes fixed]
Whatever is written in those FAQ not necessarily applies to here.

They are the FAQs for this group. How could they not apply?

[snip]
I do not post binaries, do I? HTML is a text

To an extent.
Excuse me my ignorance, my I do not know what multi-part messages are.
If I knew perhaps I would not transmit them.

A multi-part message is the result of including some form of an
attachment. When you send a message in HTML format, there are two copies
of your message. The first is in plain text and the second is a HTML
document. Some clients don't understand multi-part message (though that
does not necessarily make them out-of-date!), so they see a mess.
Could you please elaborate a bit on how you deduced the second half of
that axioma from the first one?

If you post to this group, you should be aiming to get your responses
across to the largest audience possible. To achieve this, you should post
in a format that can be understood by everyone - plain text.

If you want to write HTML e-mail messages, fine, but it isn't appropriate
for Usenet. Outlook allows you to make this distinction, so take advantage
of that.
I thought that people here are intellegent enough to see an elementary
slip of pen. Now again I see how wrong I was. You seem to need
clarifications.

Even if you meant that you author mainly for IE, my response would have
been the same. The vast majority of people here author for the Web, which
encompasses a lot more than the world of Microsoft. Providing answers that
are only relevant to Microsoft's products is likely to lessen the
usefulness of your posts.
You are using a web browser to read newsgroup?

Yes. Opera offers more than just browsing. It provides IRC, e-mail and
Usenet capabilities, too.
And this browser does not support HTML tags?

It does support HTML formatted mail and news, but I choose to display it
as text only. I find most formatted messages to be less readable than
plain text ones.

[snip]
I have naver been a MS fun, and think that Opera is a good product, but
after you think about what you've just said you will be unpleasently
surprised to see how many stupid thing one can say if does not think
before saying.

Before you accuse me of saying "stupid things", perhaps you should have
researched Opera's capabilities.

[snip]

Mike

Steve Pugh

You may think this if it makes you feel better, Steve
I explained my view in more details in "From 'HTML' -> 'XML' -Why?" above

You're clearly the stubbornest, stupidest troll we've had since, hmm,
Richard.

*Plonk*

Steve

aa

Thanks, Michael,
Althought you did not convince me completely, you are the only person here
who is capable of speaking logically. I undersatnd you view, and thought I
do not share it, as it is presented reasonably, I respect it.