substitute list sign

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Markus Wichmann, Aug 16, 2006.

  1. Hi all,
    sorry if I'm asking a question that has been answered 5000 times before,
    but I didn't find a thing on that in Google. I want to do the following:
    If I use subordinating lists, each ordered list counts for itself (which
    is good), but I'd like to prepend the other numbers. So that it looks
    like this:
    Now:
    1. bar
    1. foo
    2. foobar
    Then:
    1. bar
    1.1. foo
    1.2. foobar

    The other thing I'd like to do, is to remove the sign completely in
    unordered lists. Is there a way to do this with css? Or without, but
    without using a deprecated method? I wanted to append a "valid
    HTML"-picture on my file, when it's done. And because I'm using the
    "strict" dialect that is only possible with undeprecated methods.
    tia and cu
    nullplan
    --
    To err is human. To forgive is divine.
    To forget is also human...

    Markus Wichmann, Aug 16, 2006

  2. Markus Wichmann

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Markus Wichmann
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > If I use subordinating lists, each ordered list counts for itself (which
    > is good), but I'd like to prepend the other numbers.

    This would be possible using CSS counters, but browser support is very
    poor.

    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html#counters

    Other than that you would probably have to use some sort of
    pre-processing to generate the numbers.

    > The other thing I'd like to do, is to remove the sign completely in
    > unordered lists.

    ul {list-style-type: none;}

    --
    Mark Parnell
    My Usenet is improved; yours could be too:

    Mark Parnell, Aug 17, 2006

  3. Mark Parnell schrieb:
    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Markus Wichmann
    > <> declared in alt.html:
    >
    >> If I use subordinating lists, each ordered list counts for itself (which
    >> is good), but I'd like to prepend the other numbers.

    > This would be possible using CSS counters, but browser support is very
    > poor.
    >
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html#counters
    >
    > Other than that you would probably have to use some sort of
    > pre-processing to generate the numbers.
    >
    >> The other thing I'd like to do, is to remove the sign completely in
    >> unordered lists.

    > ul {list-style-type: none;}

    Well, that one with ul worked, thanks for that. And I finally got it
    right with the counters. I used the following:

    ol {counter-reset: item}
    ol li { display:block }
    ol li:before {content: counters(item,".") " ";
    counter-increment: item;
    }
    ul li:before { content: normal;
    counter-increment: none;
    }

    This works fine with my list. It has multiple nested ordered lists, but
    there are a few unordered list, which should be displayed with text and
    markup (hyperlinks, e.g.) only.
    Thanks again and
    cu,
    nullplan

    Markus Wichmann, Aug 17, 2006
  4. Markus Wichmann

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Markus Wichmann
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Well, that one with ul worked, thanks for that.

    You're welcome.

    > And I finally got it right with the counters.

    In what browsers? I'd be very surprised if it worked in IE - IIRC IE
    doesn't support counters at all.

    Mark Parnell, Aug 18, 2006