    I am using JSVN 0.8, but I can't commit on windows to save my life. So
    that is out.

    Anyone?
    Berlin Brown, Aug 31, 2006

  2. Berlin  Brown

    Gerbrand Guest

    For Windows TortoiseSVN is great. See http://tortoisesvn.net
    Gerbrand, Aug 31, 2006

  3. Berlin  Brown

    Berlin Brown Guest

    "Ideally, I cant install it using an installer; so something out of a
    zip file."

    I can't install due to admin restrictions (that will never change).

    Berlin Brown, Aug 31, 2006
  4. Berlin  Brown

    Berlin Brown Guest

    Berlin Brown, Aug 31, 2006
  5. Berlin  Brown

    Karl Tauber Guest

    Try SmartSVN from http://www.syntevo.com/

    It is pure Java ;)

    Karl Tauber, Aug 31, 2006
  6. Berlin  Brown

    Guest

    Berlin Brown wrote:
    > Anybody know of a good subversion gui, I ask in a java forum because I
    > know you guys use svn.
    >
    > Ideally, I cant install it using an installer; so something out of a
    > zip file. Ideally, all I need is something that does the basic
    > commands and is more than the command-line client.
    >
    > I am using JSVN 0.8, but I can't commit on windows to save my life. So
    > that is out.
    >
    > Anyone?

    Get NetBeans 5.5 (you can download as a zip) and it has subversion
    integration.
    , Sep 1, 2006
  7. Berlin  Brown

    IchBin Guest

    wrote:
    > Berlin Brown wrote:
    >> Anybody know of a good subversion gui, I ask in a java forum because I
    >> know you guys use svn.
    >>
    >> Ideally, I cant install it using an installer; so something out of a
    >> zip file. Ideally, all I need is something that does the basic
    >> commands and is more than the command-line client.
    >>
    >> I am using JSVN 0.8, but I can't commit on windows to save my life. So
    >> that is out.
    >>
    >> Anyone?

    > Get NetBeans 5.5 (you can download as a zip) and it has subversion
    > integration.

    Same goes for Eclipse. There is a Subclipse plugin for Subversion. You
    can install through the update manager or just unzip unto Eclipse structure.

    http://subclipse.tigris.org

    --
    Thanks in Advance...
    -William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)
    IchBin, Sep 1, 2006
  8. Berlin  Brown

    Berlin Brown Guest

    Strange, with the version of wsad I was using Eclipse-2.x. it didnt
    work. I didnt feel like correcting it.

    I like the SmartSVN, not bad. Dont get wrong. The command-line is
    great for commits/adds just not that great for repo-browsing or see
    revisions of a file.

    Berlin Brown, Sep 1, 2006
  9. Berlin  Brown

    IchBin Guest

    Berlin Brown wrote:
    > Strange, with the version of wsad I was using Eclipse-2.x. it didnt
    > work. I didnt feel like correcting it.
    >
    > I like the SmartSVN, not bad. Dont get wrong. The command-line is
    > great for commits/adds just not that great for repo-browsing or see
    > revisions of a file.
    >
    > IchBin wrote:
    >> wrote:

    >>> Get NetBeans 5.5 (you can download as a zip) and it has subversion
    >>> integration.
    >>>

    >> Same goes for Eclipse. There is a Subclipse plugin for Subversion. You
    >> can install through the update manager or just unzip unto Eclipse structure.
    >>
    >> http://subclipse.tigris.org
    >>
    >> --
    >> Thanks in Advance...
    >> IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA http://weconsultants.phpnet.us
    >> 'If there is one, Knowledge is the "Fountain of Youth"'
    >> -William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

    Berlin, please learn how to post in a newsgroup thread. TOP POSTING
    makes it hard to read, as you can tell by this thread! I would fix this
    top post but I am to tired of people posting anyway they want! Well at
    least it is not as bad as the PHP newsgroups.

    As for Eclipse and Subclipse: Well, Eclipse 2.X is going back a year and
    a half to two years ago. Both Eclipse and the Subclipse plugin have
    matured greatly.

    IchBin, Sep 1, 2006
  10. Berlin  Brown

    IchBin Guest

    Berlin Brown wrote:
    > Strange, with the version of wsad I was using Eclipse-2.x. it didnt
    > work. I didnt feel like correcting it.
    >
    > I like the SmartSVN, not bad. Dont get wrong. The command-line is
    > great for commits/adds just not that great for repo-browsing or see
    > revisions of a file.
    >
    > IchBin wrote:
    >> wrote:

    >>> Get NetBeans 5.5 (you can download as a zip) and it has subversion
    >>> integration.
    >>>

    >> Same goes for Eclipse. There is a Subclipse plugin for Subversion. You
    >> can install through the update manager or just unzip unto Eclipse structure.
    >>
    >> http://subclipse.tigris.org
    >>
    >> --
    >> Thanks in Advance...
    >> IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA http://weconsultants.phpnet.us
    >> 'If there is one, Knowledge is the "Fountain of Youth"'
    >> -William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

    Berlin, please learn how to post in a newsgroup thread. TOP POSTING
    makes it hard to read, as you can tell by this thread! I would fix this
    top post but I am to tired of people posting anyway they want! Well at
    least it is not as bad as the PHP newsgroups.

    As for Eclipse and Subclipse: Well, Eclipse 2.X and WTO is going back a
    year and a half to two years ago. Both Eclipse and the Subclipse plugin
    have matured greatly.

    You can always use RapidSVN or TortoiseSVN both from the developers at
    tigris.org

    http://subversion.tigris.org
    http://rapidsvn.tigris.org
    http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org

    IchBin, Sep 1, 2006
  11. On 01.09.2006 15:18 IchBin wrote:
    > Berlin, please learn how to post in a newsgroup thread. TOP POSTING
    > makes it hard to read, as you can tell by this thread!

    And bottom posting without proper trimming the quotes makes it even
    harder to read!

    Thomas

    --
    It's not a RootKit - it's a Sony
    Thomas Kellerer, Sep 1, 2006
  12. Berlin  Brown

    IchBin Guest

    Thomas Kellerer wrote:
    > On 01.09.2006 15:18 IchBin wrote:
    >> Berlin, please learn how to post in a newsgroup thread. TOP POSTING
    >> makes it hard to read, as you can tell by this thread!

    > And bottom posting without proper trimming the quotes makes it even
    > harder to read!
    >
    > Thomas

    First time anyone mention it. What is or point me to the correct format...

    IchBin, Sep 1, 2006
  13. Berlin  Brown

    Berlin Brown Guest

    I dont know, I am use google groups; I am pretty sure I didnt
    top-post:

    Anyway:

    I am running subversion local. I have been able to access the repo
    mostly with for example:
    (on Win32)

    "file:///C:/repo"

    etc. It works fine with the command line client, but I am trying to run
    some of the gui's out there.

    A lot of them dont support 'file:'?

    Is the 'svn' protocol synonmous with file or are there other ways to
    get to the repos that for example 'SmartSVN' GUI might support.

    Berlin Brown, Sep 1, 2006
  14. IchBin wrote on 01.09.2006 16:31:
    >>> Berlin, please learn how to post in a newsgroup thread. TOP POSTING
    >>> makes it hard to read, as you can tell by this thread!

    >> And bottom posting without proper trimming the quotes makes it even
    >> harder to read!
    >>

    > First time anyone mention it. What is or point me to the correct format...

    If you repeat a lot of lines where the quote level is 2 or 3, the whole things
    gets really confusing. In such cases I very much prefer top posting because I
    don't have to scroll down 40,50 maybe even a hundred lines, just to see a single
    line answer.

    In modern times, where nearly everyone is using a threaded newsreader and can
    read the postings sequentially, I believe it is much more efficient to either
    top quote (I know it is froned upon) or only quote those parts that are relevant
    for the answer.

    Thomas
    Thomas Kellerer, Sep 1, 2006
  15. Berlin  Brown

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Berlin Brown wrote:

    > I dont know, I am use google groups; I am pretty sure I didnt
    > top-post:

    You ARE top-posting! Just read your ****ing posts. Where are your words ? At
    the top...

    And the fact that you are posting via the brain-dead Google interface to Usenet
    in no way means that you are not part of Usenet. (Although it does call for a
    certain amount of sympathy)

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Sep 1, 2006
  16. Berlin  Brown

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Thomas Kellerer wrote:

    > In modern times, where nearly everyone is using a threaded newsreader and
    > can read the postings sequentially, I believe it is much more efficient
    > to either top quote (I know it is froned upon) or only quote those parts
    > that are relevant for the answer.

    You are assuming that people's newsreaders display the topmost text by default.
    If the newsreader scrolls to the bottom by default, then top-posting is
    particularly obnoxious.

    Mind, I use a top-first newsreader and top-posting irritates me -- first I
    scroll all the way to the bottom to find out what the idiot who can't be
    bothered to trim has said, and then I realise that the bastard has written
    whatever few lines of input he has to offer at the top instead...

    Selective quoting is the /only/ technique which respects your audience's time,
    convenience, and patience.

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Sep 1, 2006
  17. Berlin  Brown

    Berlin Brown Guest

    Chris Uppal wrote:
    > Berlin Brown wrote:
    >
    > > I dont know, I am use google groups; I am pretty sure I didnt
    > > top-post:

    > You ARE top-posting! Just read your ****ing posts. Where are your words ? At
    > the top...
    >
    > And the fact that you are posting via the brain-dead Google interface to Usenet
    > in no way means that you are not part of Usenet. (Although it does call for a
    > certain amount of sympathy)
    >
    > -- chris

    Oh...I got ya. Blah, who cares. Get a life.
    Berlin Brown, Sep 1, 2006
  18. Sympathy for users of Google groups? - Was: Subversion GUI, maybe in java

    Chris Uppal wrote:
    <veering off-technical topic>
    > And the fact that you are posting via the brain-dead Google interface to Usenet
    > in no way means that you are not part of Usenet. (Although it does call for a
    > certain amount of sympathy)

    Why? I have been posting through Google groups for
    some months now, and while it has some disadvantages,
    it also has it's upside.

    *Users* of Google groups may need a little prompting to
    read the documentation of their web interface*, but to
    Google's credit, most of the relevant advice is mentioned
    somewhere, in some form.

    * Note that I am not implying Google groups docs. get it
    right all the time, nor that Google is any sort of authority
    on Usenet - but they have improved the documentation
    relevant to their web-interface, and the things it connects
    to (like usenet).
    </veering off-technical topic>

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Sep 2, 2006
  19. Top-post/Bottom Post - Was: Subversion GUI, maybe in java

    IchBin wrote:
    > Thomas Kellerer wrote:
    > > On 01.09.2006 15:18 IchBin wrote:
    > >> Berlin, please learn how to post in a newsgroup thread. TOP POSTING
    > >> makes it hard to read, as you can tell by this thread!

    > > And bottom posting without proper trimming the quotes makes it even
    > > harder to read!

    Agreed.

    > First time anyone mention it.

    That does not surprise me. Top-posting is much more common.

    I regularly ask people not to top-post, but have not seen
    enough 'bottom-posts' to justify bringing it up.

    OTOH, when I ask people not to top-post, I try to
    make sure I word it in a way that (hopefully)
    communicates that the best is way it to put replies
    'immediately after the relevant comment'
    (which hardly rolls off the tongue, and does not actually
    mention the advice to *trim* text no longer relevant)

    >..What is or point me to the correct format...

    'correct'?

    I'd say there is no 'correct' way, since problems have
    been raised and resolved using all three posting styles.

    OTOH - I would say that 'inline with trim' posting is the
    most *optimal* way to get to the solution, with minimum
    use of bandwidth.

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Sep 2, 2006
  20. Berlin  Brown

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Re: Sympathy for users of Google groups?

    Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > > And the fact that you are posting via the brain-dead Google interface
    > > to Usenet in no way means that you are not part of Usenet. (Although
    > > it does call for a certain amount of sympathy)

    > Why? I have been posting through Google groups for
    > some months now, and while it has some disadvantages,
    > it also has it's upside.

    Well, it is definitely harder to /read/ posts in Google; and (judging by most
    posters) it's harder to /write/ posts in Google (while conforming to half-way
    decent standards).

    I'm not convinced that there's all that much left for Google's upside to
    exhibit itself in...

    BTW, if you don't mind the question, why /do/ you choose to post via Google ?

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Sep 2, 2006