    By the way, Gmail plays in many differnt purposes of personal storage,
    such as gallery, can we use it in the way of subversioning?

    Any ideas or comments are appriciated.
    =?iso-8859-1?B?bW9vcJk=?=, Oct 17, 2005

  2. moop™ wrote:
    > I am working on my individual project and looking for a version control
    > system. When I switch from office and home I want to work on the
    > project whenever is possible. So if there is a free hosting server to
    > store and manage my project sources, that may be wonderful for me. The
    > space is not need to be large, 10M is pretty enough.

    If I am not mistaken, then tigris.org offers Subversion hosting
    (tigris.or is also where the Subversion project hosts). So if your
    project qualifies (e.g. is open source) you could try there.

    /Thomas
    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:
    Thomas Weidenfeller, Oct 17, 2005

  3. what if i dont want my project open source? I am not sure it is
    suitable for it to be open source so I want to keep it private, is it
    possible?
    =?iso-8859-1?B?bW9vcJk=?=, Oct 17, 2005
  4. moop™ wrote:

    > what if i dont want my project open source? I am not sure it is
    > suitable for it to be open source so I want to keep it private, is it
    > possible?

    At tigris.org?

    Quoting the first sentence of their homepage..
    "Tigris.org is a mid-sized open source community (..bla, blah)."

    The homepage title is..
    "Tigris.org: Open Source Software Engineering"

    So ..guess.
    Andrew Thompson, Oct 17, 2005
  5. =?iso-8859-1?B?bW9vcJk=?=

    Timbo Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > moop™ wrote:
    >
    >> what if i dont want my project open source? I am not sure it is
    >> suitable for it to be open source so I want to keep it private, is it
    >> possible?

    > At tigris.org?
    >
    > Quoting the first sentence of their homepage..
    > "Tigris.org is a mid-sized open source community (..bla, blah)."
    >
    > The homepage title is..
    > "Tigris.org: Open Source Software Engineering"
    >
    > So ..guess.

    I think he means is there an alternative to tigris for non-open
    projects.
    Timbo, Oct 17, 2005
  6. =?iso-8859-1?B?bW9vcJk=?=

    Guest

    , Oct 17, 2005
  7. =?iso-8859-1?B?bW9vcJk=?=

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 17 Oct 2005 05:32:53 -0700, "moop™" <> wrote or
    quoted :

    >what if i dont want my project open source? I am not sure it is
    >suitable for it to be open source so I want to keep it private, is it
    >possible?

    You want then cheap web hosting. See
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ispvendors.html

    Another option is to buy a bigger drive.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Oct 17, 2005
  8. Roedy Green wrote:
    > You want then cheap web hosting. See
    > http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ispvendors.html
    >
    > Another option is to buy a bigger drive.

    Huh? Are you suggesting the OP run his own server?

    [ Pretty daunting prospect, open to few. Even at my current ISP
    I have ..no permanent address, and an upload limit that would only
    accommodate a 'toy/test' site. ]
    Andrew Thompson, Oct 18, 2005
  9. Thomas Weidenfeller, Oct 18, 2005
  10. Use http://javaforge.com/.

    Zsolt

    Zsolt Koppany, Oct 18, 2005
  11. Zsolt Koppany wrote:

    > Use http://javaforge.com/.

    a) Please refrain from top-posting*, and..
    b) Note that the description "JavaForge is a free
    service provided by the Javalobby Network for hosting
    your open source projects", pretty much brings as to
    the same question as 'tigris.org'
    'What if the project is *closed* source?'..

    * <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#netiquette>
    Andrew Thompson, Oct 18, 2005
  12. =?iso-8859-1?B?bW9vcJk=?=

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 05:01:16 GMT, Andrew Thompson
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >Huh? Are you suggesting the OP run his own server?

    A repository server for his use sounds like not a heavy load. If it
    is on his local lan it will be faster than if it lives out on some
    ISP.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Oct 18, 2005
  13. Roedy Green wrote:

    > On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 05:01:16 GMT, Andrew Thompson
    > <> wrote or quoted :
    >
    >>Huh? Are you suggesting the OP run his own server?

    > A repository server for his use sounds like not a heavy load. If it
    > is on his local lan it will be faster than if it lives out on some
    > ISP.

    Good point, I did not consider a LAN.

    Me hear 'server', think 'internet'.

    But.. now I reread the OP's original post, re requirements,
    and add the other bits of info. gleaned in the meantime..

    - supports subversion
    - provides files to home or office
    - closed source project
    - free
    - <10 Mbytes storage required.
    - single user (low bandwidth?)

    I'd say the OP has two chances of finding that combination..
    "nil, and buckley's" (Australian slang for 'no chance').

    To the OP, have you considered developing the project on a lap-top?
    ...or synchronizisng the two machines using an USB(/whatever) drive?

    [ ..and why are you working on this (apparently) non-work
    project at work, or if you are working on a work project
    at home as well, then a) are you insane? and.. b) get the
    company to install whatever (freakin') server and software
    required for you to log in from home - and be done with it!

    We have solutions every which way. ;-) ]
    Andrew Thompson, Oct 18, 2005
  14. Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > Huh? Are you suggesting the OP run his own server?
    >
    > [ Pretty daunting prospect, open to few. Even at my current ISP
    > I have ..no permanent address, and an upload limit that would only
    > accommodate a 'toy/test' site. ]

    I have seen low-traffic, low-spec dedicated Linux server offerings with
    root access for 20€/Month. They are popular with gamers for clan game
    servers.

    The headache of managing the security of such a dedicated server at an
    ISP or of managing a server at home (connected e.g. via DSL to the
    Internet) is almost the same. But if you are lucky your ISPs backbone
    performs better than your DSL connection.

    /Thomas
    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:
    Thomas Weidenfeller, Oct 18, 2005
  15. =?iso-8859-1?B?bW9vcJk=?=

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:48:01 GMT, Andrew Thompson
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >I'd say the OP has two chances of finding that combination..

    If he has a cable connection, he can host the server on some old
    clunker on an home or office LAN or a corner of his development
    machine. He need not even have it up all the time.

    He can then access it locally very fast or from home/office with
    respectable time.

    Lots of people have CVS servers without even any Internet connection.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Oct 18, 2005
  16. =?iso-8859-1?B?bW9vcJk=?=

    Hemal Pandya Guest

    moop™ wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am working on my individual project and looking for a version control
    > system. When I switch from office and home I want to work on the
    > project whenever is possible. So if there is a free hosting server to
    > store and manage my project sources, that may be wonderful for me. The
    > space is not need to be large, 10M is pretty enough.
    >
    > By the way, Gmail plays in many differnt purposes of personal storage,
    > such as gallery, can we use it in the way of subversioning?

    Have you looked at "gmail drive"?

    Hemal Pandya, Oct 19, 2005
  17. Hi there,

    i'm offering Subversion Hosting for comercial projects if you need this.
    Just get in contact with me via mail or via phone if you like.

    Kind regards.
    Karl Heinz Marbaise
    --
    Software Entwicklungs- und Beratungs Service http://www.soebes.de
    Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl Heinz Marbaise email:
    Karl Heinz Marbaise, Oct 19, 2005