subversion hosting

?

=?iso-8859-1?B?bW9vcJk=?=

Hi,
I am working on my individual project and looking for a version control
system. When I switch from office and home I want to work on the
project whenever is possible. So if there is a free hosting server to
store and manage my project sources, that may be wonderful for me. The
space is not need to be large, 10M is pretty enough.

By the way, Gmail plays in many differnt purposes of personal storage,
such as gallery, can we use it in the way of subversioning?

Any ideas or comments are appriciated.

Thomas Weidenfeller

moop™ said:
I am working on my individual project and looking for a version control
system. When I switch from office and home I want to work on the
project whenever is possible. So if there is a free hosting server to
store and manage my project sources, that may be wonderful for me. The
space is not need to be large, 10M is pretty enough.

If I am not mistaken, then tigris.org offers Subversion hosting
(tigris.or is also where the Subversion project hosts). So if your
project qualifies (e.g. is open source) you could try there.

/Thomas

?

=?iso-8859-1?B?bW9vcJk=?=

what if i dont want my project open source? I am not sure it is
suitable for it to be open source so I want to keep it private, is it
possible?

Andrew Thompson

moop™ said:
what if i dont want my project open source? I am not sure it is
suitable for it to be open source so I want to keep it private, is it
possible?

At tigris.org?

Quoting the first sentence of their homepage..
"Tigris.org is a mid-sized open source community (..bla, blah)."

The homepage title is..
"Tigris.org: Open Source Software Engineering"

So ..guess.

Timbo

Andrew said:
At tigris.org?

Quoting the first sentence of their homepage..
"Tigris.org is a mid-sized open source community (..bla, blah)."

The homepage title is..
"Tigris.org: Open Source Software Engineering"

So ..guess.

I think he means is there an alternative to tigris for non-open
projects.

Andrew Thompson

Roedy Green wrote:
You want then cheap web hosting. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ispvendors.html

Another option is to buy a bigger drive.

Huh? Are you suggesting the OP run his own server?

[ Pretty daunting prospect, open to few. Even at my current ISP
I have ..no permanent address, and an upload limit that would only
accommodate a 'toy/test' site. ]

Roedy Green

Huh? Are you suggesting the OP run his own server?

A repository server for his use sounds like not a heavy load. If it
is on his local lan it will be faster than if it lives out on some
ISP.

Andrew Thompson

Roedy said:
A repository server for his use sounds like not a heavy load. If it
is on his local lan it will be faster than if it lives out on some
ISP.

Good point, I did not consider a LAN.

Me hear 'server', think 'internet'.

But.. now I reread the OP's original post, re requirements,
and add the other bits of info. gleaned in the meantime..

- supports subversion
- provides files to home or office
- closed source project
- free
- <10 Mbytes storage required.
- single user (low bandwidth?)

I'd say the OP has two chances of finding that combination..
"nil, and buckley's" (Australian slang for 'no chance').

To the OP, have you considered developing the project on a lap-top?
...or synchronizisng the two machines using an USB(/whatever) drive?

[ ..and why are you working on this (apparently) non-work
project at work, or if you are working on a work project
at home as well, then a) are you insane? and.. b) get the
company to install whatever (freakin') server and software
required for you to log in from home - and be done with it!

We have solutions every which way. ;-) ]

Thomas Weidenfeller

Andrew said:
Huh? Are you suggesting the OP run his own server?

[ Pretty daunting prospect, open to few. Even at my current ISP
I have ..no permanent address, and an upload limit that would only
accommodate a 'toy/test' site. ]

I have seen low-traffic, low-spec dedicated Linux server offerings with
root access for 20€/Month. They are popular with gamers for clan game
servers.

The headache of managing the security of such a dedicated server at an
ISP or of managing a server at home (connected e.g. via DSL to the
Internet) is almost the same. But if you are lucky your ISPs backbone
performs better than your DSL connection.

/Thomas

Roedy Green

I'd say the OP has two chances of finding that combination..
If he has a cable connection, he can host the server on some old
clunker on an home or office LAN or a corner of his development
machine. He need not even have it up all the time.

He can then access it locally very fast or from home/office with
respectable time.

Lots of people have CVS servers without even any Internet connection.

Hemal Pandya

moop™ said:
Hi,
I am working on my individual project and looking for a version control
system. When I switch from office and home I want to work on the
project whenever is possible. So if there is a free hosting server to
store and manage my project sources, that may be wonderful for me. The
space is not need to be large, 10M is pretty enough.

By the way, Gmail plays in many differnt purposes of personal storage,
such as gallery, can we use it in the way of subversioning?

Have you looked at "gmail drive"?

Karl Heinz Marbaise

Hi there,

i'm offering Subversion Hosting for comercial projects if you need this.
Just get in contact with me via mail or via phone if you like.

Kind regards.
Karl Heinz Marbaise