    How do you do this with ASP.Net?

    Thanks!
    ---Selden

    Selden, Nov 4, 2006

  2. Selden

    clintonG Guest

    Yes, that form of addressing is called a subweb and requires the use of host
    headers. Its an IIS configuration.

    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
    MAP http://wikimapia.org/#y=43038073&x=-88043838&z=17&l=0&m=h

    clintonG, Nov 4, 2006

  3. Selden,
    Actually, it's not really a subweb. A "subweb" would be
    http://smccabe.net/somepage/ in IIS terminology. Usually when IIS refers to
    a subweb it is referring to a logical entity packed as a FrontPage subweb,
    which is basically a directory that has been compartmentalized for use by
    the FrontPage Server Extensions and FrontPage publishing.

    What you are referring to is a subdomain. You would first have to setup
    the DNS settings in order to handle the subdomain so it points somewhere.
    It's possible that you could have the server automatically point the entry
    so that it exists within your site, but at a directory different from the
    root. In orther words http://somepage.smccabe.net would map to
    http://smccabe.net/somepage/ In some scenarious this becomes unstable
    because you would have subdirectories of your root web being seen by the
    application possibly as the root level of the site.

    Basically, this is a server setup that you wouldn't do in ASP.Net.
    Has to be configured through DNS and IIS itself.

    --
    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Nov 4, 2006