successor function for STL lists

Christian Christmann

Hi,

I've some old code which I would like to replace by STL.
It's a self-written double linked list which consists of instances
of another class Element which contains the information as
void* (I'm going to replace the void* by a template but that's
not an issue here).

The class Element is defined as:
class Element
{
void* value;
Element* nextelem, *prevelem;
[snip]
};

The class List is defined as:
class List
{
private:
Element* first;
Element* last;
// used as forward iterator
Element* forward_iterator ;
// used as backward iterator
Element* backward_iterator;
[snip]
public:
void* NextElement();
[snip]
};

and the function NextElement() is defined as:

void* List::NextElement()
{
// isEmpty() checks wheather list empty
if (!forward_iterator || isEmpty())
return NULL;

// value is the void* content of Element
void *next = forward_iterator->value;
forward=forward->nextelem;
return next;
}

What would be the best and most efficient way to replace
this function by a function using STL lists?

If the function NextElement would require an Element
as parameter to find its successor like

void* List::NextElement(void* currentElement)

I would first use the algorithm find() and than
increment the iterator. Something like

return *(++(find(begin(), end(), currentElement)));

(hope the syntax is ok ;) )

Thank you for your help in advance

Regards,
Chris

Victor Bazarov

Christian said:
I've some old code which I would like to replace by STL.

Instead of attempting a piece-by-piece replacement, and mostly because
the functionality is not compatible, you'd be better off rewriting the
whole thing using iterators (and templatizing it while reimplementing).

Stephen Howe

I've some old code which I would like to replace by STL.
It's a self-written double linked list which consists of instances
of another class Element which contains the information as
void* (I'm going to replace the void* by a template but that's
not an issue here).

A few points:

1) Your class is intrusive in that it Element defines pointers to
previous/next elements.
std::list is non-intrusive. The redesigned class would be

class Element
{
// some data types
};

and therefore this newly designed Element could be placed in any of the
containers, not just linked lists. std::list supplies the pointers to
next/previous elements not class Element.

2) There is no such thing as "the current element" for std::list.

As Victor says, I would replace the equivalent functionality with std::list
and not seek to implement some kind of auxiliary functions to std::list that
basically replicate your old class.

Stephen Howe

[...]

Christian Christmann

Instead of attempting a piece-by-piece replacement, and mostly because the
functionality is not compatible, you'd be better off rewriting the whole
thing using iterators (and templatizing it while reimplementing).

Generally I agree with you. But the problem is, that the functions of the
list class are used frequently in some other programs. Thus, when I
just replace the body of the function and keep the prototype definition
of that function I don't need to change all the programs using the
list class.

Kai-Uwe Bux

Christian said:
Generally I agree with you. But the problem is, that the functions of the
list class are used frequently in some other programs. Thus, when I
just replace the body of the function and keep the prototype definition
of that function I don't need to change all the programs using the
list class.

So, if you insist, what about something like this:

class bad_list {
private:

typedef void* void_p;
typedef std::list< void_p > void_p_list;

void_p_list the_list;
void_p_list::iterator the_cursor;

public:

void_p NextElement ( void ) {