suggest good material

yang__lee

Dear Gurus,

I have been programming since 4 years and I am not a computer science
literate. I am basically a Mechanical engineer. I am working in GIS
field
I do c++, C and VC++ programming well basically our projects do not
involve that much std procedures .. I am not working in CMM level
company. But basically programming is complex involving CAD. we design
roughly and start working and then there is application testing and
maintenance. I was considering myself a good developer. know little
bit about UML. was able to do development without any much of the
designing.

But recently I am trying for more non GIS companies . In India GIS
companies are very less. SO better to go to known bigger names for
better compensation experience and future.

So I attended two interview.. I was through first technical round
invovling coding. But then next round was involving <b>Design patterns
in c++, code review, life cycle, defect management, how to test
applications, procedures, approach in case new modification comes to
the existing online application.</b> basically for 4 years they were
considering team lead position with all these questions..I was really
unaware these things but basically I answered roughly remembering some
things while working then I checked on net then there was huge shock
these all are software engg things .. water fall model etc etch.. I
felt so inferior.

Could someone suggest me great book on these things (useful for my
second technical round) . It can be useful for me to get a new
approach to whole development work and improve personally and for my
company as well and hopefully get better future with more confidence.

So please suggest good books, links..

Thanks,

Atwal

(writing on yang lee's account to speed up the posting, i will
subscribe soon)

Victor Bazarov

Dear Gurus,

I have been programming since [..]

But recently I am trying for [..]

So I attended two interview.. [..] I
felt so inferior.

Could someone suggest me great book on these things [..]

So please suggest good books, links.. [..]

Can you say "google"? You have all the key words, "design",
"test", "lifecycle", "defect management"... Now get on the
search engine of your choice and find something.

Also, consider posting to 'comp.software-eng' since the stuff
you're asking about has really nothing to do with C++. It is
plainly not language specific.

Good luck!