suggest good material

Discussion in 'C++' started by yang__lee@ausi.com, Feb 21, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Dear Gurus,

    I have been programming since 4 years and I am not a computer science
    literate. I am basically a Mechanical engineer. I am working in GIS
    field
    I do c++, C and VC++ programming well basically our projects do not
    involve that much std procedures .. I am not working in CMM level
    company. But basically programming is complex involving CAD. we design
    roughly and start working and then there is application testing and
    maintenance. I was considering myself a good developer. know little
    bit about UML. was able to do development without any much of the
    designing.

    But recently I am trying for more non GIS companies . In India GIS
    companies are very less. SO better to go to known bigger names for
    better compensation experience and future.

    So I attended two interview.. I was through first technical round
    invovling coding. But then next round was involving <b>Design patterns
    in c++, code review, life cycle, defect management, how to test
    applications, procedures, approach in case new modification comes to
    the existing online application.</b> basically for 4 years they were
    considering team lead position with all these questions..I was really
    unaware these things but basically I answered roughly remembering some
    things while working then I checked on net then there was huge shock
    these all are software engg things .. water fall model etc etch.. I
    felt so inferior.

    Could someone suggest me great book on these things (useful for my
    second technical round) . It can be useful for me to get a new
    approach to whole development work and improve personally and for my
    company as well and hopefully get better future with more confidence.

    So please suggest good books, links..

    Thanks,

    Atwal

    (writing on yang lee's account to speed up the posting, i will
    subscribe soon)

    , Feb 21, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > Dear Gurus,
    >
    > I have been programming since [..]
    >
    > But recently I am trying for [..]
    >
    > So I attended two interview.. [..] I
    > felt so inferior.
    >
    > Could someone suggest me great book on these things [..]
    >
    > So please suggest good books, links.. [..]

    Can you say "google"? You have all the key words, "design",
    "test", "lifecycle", "defect management"... Now get on the
    search engine of your choice and find something.

    Also, consider posting to 'comp.software-eng' since the stuff
    you're asking about has really nothing to do with C++. It is
    plainly not language specific.

    Good luck!

    Victor Bazarov, Feb 21, 2007