Suggest tools/methods for efficient C++ development

Discussion in 'C++' started by Sachin Garg, Jun 6, 2004.

  1. Sachin Garg

    Sachin Garg Guest

    Hi,

    Can you please suggest some tools (except an IDE like Visual
    Studio/Borland C Builder etc...) which can help me
    refactor/reengineer/redesign my programs/classes easily and
    efficiently?

    Also, as the number of modules/projects I have handeled is increasing,
    my collection of code I have written is expanding, what do you think
    is the best way to manage all this code to maximize the ease of
    finding components from among all the code I have written which can be
    reused in my current projects?

    I find myself wasting a lot of time doing above tasks using simple
    "find and replace", "copy-paste", "find in files" techniques, and am
    sure there must be better ways to improve my efficiency.... please
    suggest.

    Thanks.

    Sachin Garg

    Sachin Garg, Jun 6, 2004

  2. Sachin Garg

    Phlip Guest

    Sachin Garg wrote:

    > Can you please suggest some tools (except an IDE like Visual
    > Studio/Borland C Builder etc...) which can help me
    > refactor/reengineer/redesign my programs/classes easily and
    > efficiently?

    CppUnit, CppUnitLite, or my clone:
    http://www.xpsd.org/cgi-bin/wiki?NanoCppUnit

    > Also, as the number of modules/projects I have handeled is increasing,
    > my collection of code I have written is expanding, what do you think
    > is the best way to manage all this code to maximize the ease of
    > finding components from among all the code I have written which can be
    > reused in my current projects?

    Put all of it under test, and test all of it as often as possible. Then
    refactor it in common, not separately.

    > I find myself wasting a lot of time doing above tasks using simple
    > "find and replace", "copy-paste", "find in files" techniques, and am
    > sure there must be better ways to improve my efficiency.... please
    > suggest.

    Uh, yeah. You need to read /Refactoring/, and "find and replace" is either
    renaming a variable, or its a sign you are still doing Code-and-Fix, and
    have many similar functions that should be the same. Read the /Test-Driven
    Development/ books (as recommended by www.swebok.org

    --
    Phlip

    Phlip, Jun 6, 2004

  3. Sachin Garg

    Tabrez Iqbal Guest

    (Sachin Garg) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can you please suggest some tools (except an IDE like Visual
    > Studio/Borland C Builder etc...) which can help me
    > refactor/reengineer/redesign my programs/classes easily and
    > efficiently?

    A good refactoring tool is hard to find for C++(one is in development
    state hosted on sourceforge.net) but limited support is available in
    the
    Visual SlickEdit Version 9.0.

    Download a trial version here :

    http://www.slickedit.com/purchase/pu_regtrial.php