Suggest USB to RS232 that works perfectly

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

I've purchased one already made by "Cypress Semiconductor" but it
doesn't work. The VID is 04b4 and the PID is 5500.

Can anyone suggest a USB to RS232 adapter that does its job perfectly
100% of the time under Microsoft Windows, i.e. it trully behaves
exactly just like any other serial port?

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

Sorry I realise the post's off-topic, I meant to send it to
comp.arch.embedded

Kenny McCormack

I've purchased one already made by "Cypress Semiconductor" but it
doesn't work. The VID is 04b4 and the PID is 5500.

Can anyone suggest a USB to RS232 adapter that does its job perfectly
100% of the time under Microsoft Windows, i.e. it trully behaves
exactly just like any other serial port?

I'm curious - since I use these devices (USB serial ports) fairly
regularly - what doesn't work?

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

I'm curious - since I use these devices (USB serial ports) fairly
regularly - what doesn't work?

I can't get it to work with a program called GTROM Loader (a program
used for re-flashing firmware). I haven't tested whether it works for
more mundane tasks such as using Hyperterminal to let two PC's talk to
each other.

Could I ask what model you use? Or could you even point me to the
relevant link on eBay? Here's the particular one I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/USB-To-Serial-CO...ryZ41995QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but it just plain doesn't work. I paid 5euro for a device off eBay
which lets you hook up IDE hard disks via USB, and it works absolutely
perfectly and it's lightning fast, so I don't see why I shouldn't be
able to get a USB to RS232 adapter for dirt cheap that works.

Are you certain that your own device(s) can do every serial port job
perfectly?

Keith Thompson

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:
I can't get it to work with a program called GTROM Loader (a program
used for re-flashing firmware). I haven't tested whether it works for
more mundane tasks such as using Hyperterminal to let two PC's talk to
each other.
[snip]

You are (a) feeding a notorious troll and (b) carrying on a blatantly
off-topic discussion. You've already said you meant to post to
comp.arch.embedded. Please continue this discussion there.

Kenny McCormack

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:
I can't get it to work with a program called GTROM Loader (a program
used for re-flashing firmware). I haven't tested whether it works for
more mundane tasks such as using Hyperterminal to let two PC's talk to
each other.
[snip]

You are (a) feeding a notorious troll and (b) carrying on a blatantly
off-topic discussion. You've already said you meant to post to
comp.arch.embedded. Please continue this discussion there.

Keithy, weithy, please shove it directly up you know where.

What right do you have to interrupt a perfectly sensible, rational
conversation?

Also, you might want to google the term "killfile". It might help.

Kenny McCormack

I can't get it to work with a program called GTROM Loader (a program
used for re-flashing firmware). I haven't tested whether it works for
more mundane tasks such as using Hyperterminal to let two PC's talk to
each other.

I make no claims one way or the other. I've heard that the USB
emulation of serial (and parallel) ports doesn't really work, but IMVLE,
it seems to work OK. So, I really am just asking out of curiosity.

As I said, I've done only very little testing; it sounds like you've
done quite a bit more with it and I'm curious as to which things don't
work. I've never heard of GTROM, of course.

(I know this must be hard to believe, this being CLC and all, where any
question of the form "What makes you think that?" is loaded with so much
hatred and venom and a clear implication that you are friggin' out of your
mind...)
Could I ask what model you use? Or could you even point me to the
relevant link on eBay? Here's the particular one I bought:

I wouldn't know - all pretty much generic - I do know that I've been
playing with 3 of them lately, and, as I said, they all seem to work OK.
http://cgi.ebay.ie/USB-To-Serial-CO...ryZ41995QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but it just plain doesn't work. I paid 5euro for a device off eBay
which lets you hook up IDE hard disks via USB, and it works absolutely
perfectly and it's lightning fast, so I don't see why I shouldn't be
able to get a USB to RS232 adapter for dirt cheap that works.

Are you certain that your own device(s) can do every serial port job
perfectly?

No, not at all. See above.

Richard

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:
On Jun 13, 2:11 am, (e-mail address removed) (Kenny McCormack)
wrote:

I'm curious - since I use these devices (USB serial ports) fairly
regularly - what doesn't work?

I can't get it to work with a program called GTROM Loader (a program
used for re-flashing firmware). I haven't tested whether it works for
more mundane tasks such as using Hyperterminal to let two PC's talk to
each other.
[snip]

You are (a) feeding a notorious troll and (b) carrying on a blatantly
off-topic discussion. You've already said you meant to post to
comp.arch.embedded. Please continue this discussion there.

Keithy, weithy, please shove it directly up you know where.

What right do you have to interrupt a perfectly sensible, rational
conversation?

Also, you might want to google the term "killfile". It might help.

I already posted the code which can kill an entire thread in Gnus. He is
somewhat tiresome with his topicality whining. Here it is again:

,----

`----