    Can anyone suggest a USB to RS232 adapter that does its job perfectly
    100% of the time under Microsoft Windows, i.e. it trully behaves
    exactly just like any other serial port?
    Tomás Ó hÉilidhe, Jun 13, 2008

  2. Sorry I realise the post's off-topic, I meant to send it to
    comp.arch.embedded
    Tomás Ó hÉilidhe, Jun 13, 2008

  3. In article <>,
    Tomás Ó hÉilidhe <> wrote:
    >I've purchased one already made by "Cypress Semiconductor" but it
    >doesn't work. The VID is 04b4 and the PID is 5500.
    >
    >Can anyone suggest a USB to RS232 adapter that does its job perfectly
    >100% of the time under Microsoft Windows, i.e. it trully behaves
    >exactly just like any other serial port?

    I'm curious - since I use these devices (USB serial ports) fairly
    regularly - what doesn't work?
    Kenny McCormack, Jun 13, 2008
  4. On Jun 13, 2:11 am, (Kenny McCormack)
    wrote:

    > I'm curious - since I use these devices (USB serial ports) fairly
    > regularly - what doesn't work?

    I can't get it to work with a program called GTROM Loader (a program
    used for re-flashing firmware). I haven't tested whether it works for
    more mundane tasks such as using Hyperterminal to let two PC's talk to
    each other.

    Could I ask what model you use? Or could you even point me to the
    relevant link on eBay? Here's the particular one I bought:

    http://cgi.ebay.ie/USB-To-Serial-CO...ryZ41995QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    but it just plain doesn't work. I paid 5euro for a device off eBay
    which lets you hook up IDE hard disks via USB, and it works absolutely
    perfectly and it's lightning fast, so I don't see why I shouldn't be
    able to get a USB to RS232 adapter for dirt cheap that works.

    Are you certain that your own device(s) can do every serial port job
    perfectly?
    Tomás Ó hÉilidhe, Jun 13, 2008
  5. Tomás Ó hÉilidhe <> writes:
    > On Jun 13, 2:11 am, (Kenny McCormack)
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I'm curious - since I use these devices (USB serial ports) fairly
    >> regularly - what doesn't work?

    > I can't get it to work with a program called GTROM Loader (a program
    > used for re-flashing firmware). I haven't tested whether it works for
    > more mundane tasks such as using Hyperterminal to let two PC's talk to
    > each other.

    [snip]

    You are (a) feeding a notorious troll and (b) carrying on a blatantly
    off-topic discussion. You've already said you meant to post to
    comp.arch.embedded. Please continue this discussion there.

    Nokia
    Keith Thompson, Jun 13, 2008
  6. In article <>,
    Keith Thompson <> wrote:
    >Tomás Ó hÉilidhe <> writes:
    >> On Jun 13, 2:11 am, (Kenny McCormack)
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm curious - since I use these devices (USB serial ports) fairly
    >>> regularly - what doesn't work?

    >> I can't get it to work with a program called GTROM Loader (a program
    >> used for re-flashing firmware). I haven't tested whether it works for
    >> more mundane tasks such as using Hyperterminal to let two PC's talk to
    >> each other.

    >[snip]
    >
    >You are (a) feeding a notorious troll and (b) carrying on a blatantly
    >off-topic discussion. You've already said you meant to post to
    >comp.arch.embedded. Please continue this discussion there.

    Keithy, weithy, please shove it directly up you know where.

    What right do you have to interrupt a perfectly sensible, rational
    conversation?

    Also, you might want to google the term "killfile". It might help.
    Kenny McCormack, Jun 13, 2008
  7. In article <>,
    Tomás Ó hÉilidhe <> wrote:
    >On Jun 13, 2:11 am, (Kenny McCormack)
    >wrote:
    >
    >> I'm curious - since I use these devices (USB serial ports) fairly
    >> regularly - what doesn't work?

    >I can't get it to work with a program called GTROM Loader (a program
    >used for re-flashing firmware). I haven't tested whether it works for
    >more mundane tasks such as using Hyperterminal to let two PC's talk to
    >each other.

    I make no claims one way or the other. I've heard that the USB
    emulation of serial (and parallel) ports doesn't really work, but IMVLE,
    it seems to work OK. So, I really am just asking out of curiosity.

    As I said, I've done only very little testing; it sounds like you've
    done quite a bit more with it and I'm curious as to which things don't
    work. I've never heard of GTROM, of course.

    (I know this must be hard to believe, this being CLC and all, where any
    question of the form "What makes you think that?" is loaded with so much
    hatred and venom and a clear implication that you are friggin' out of your
    mind...)

    >Could I ask what model you use? Or could you even point me to the
    >relevant link on eBay? Here's the particular one I bought:

    I wouldn't know - all pretty much generic - I do know that I've been
    playing with 3 of them lately, and, as I said, they all seem to work OK.

    >http://cgi.ebay.ie/USB-To-Serial-CO...ryZ41995QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    >
    >but it just plain doesn't work. I paid 5euro for a device off eBay
    >which lets you hook up IDE hard disks via USB, and it works absolutely
    >perfectly and it's lightning fast, so I don't see why I shouldn't be
    >able to get a USB to RS232 adapter for dirt cheap that works.
    >
    >Are you certain that your own device(s) can do every serial port job
    >perfectly?

    No, not at all. See above.
    Kenny McCormack, Jun 13, 2008
  8. Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

    Richard Guest

    (Kenny McCormack) writes:

    > In article <>,
    > Keith Thompson <> wrote:
    >>Tomás Ó hÉilidhe <> writes:

    >>> I can't get it to work with a program called GTROM Loader (a program
    >>> used for re-flashing firmware). I haven't tested whether it works for
    >>> more mundane tasks such as using Hyperterminal to let two PC's talk to
    >>> each other.

    >>[snip]
    >>
    >>You are (a) feeding a notorious troll and (b) carrying on a blatantly
    >>off-topic discussion. You've already said you meant to post to
    >>comp.arch.embedded. Please continue this discussion there.

    > Keithy, weithy, please shove it directly up you know where.
    >
    > What right do you have to interrupt a perfectly sensible, rational
    > conversation?
    >
    > Also, you might want to google the term "killfile". It might help.

    I already posted the code which can kill an entire thread in Gnus. He is
    somewhat tiresome with his topicality whining. Here it is again:

    ,----

    `----
    Richard, Jun 13, 2008