Suggestion for the PythonDevelopment for next version

azrael

You know, sometimes it annoys me to write a for loop in Python. If we
use a list a=[1,2,3,4], and want to loop through it, Python offers the
next option1
2
3
4

I love this. So simple and smooth. But what happens if we need also
the position of an object in a list. Then there comes this annoying
writing.
for i in range(len(a)):
print a, i

1 0
2 1
3 2
4 3

I think that it would be great if the Python language, which is a
totaly OOP language, could also use the index variable from the first
example and consider it as an object with a Object variable. I mean
the following.
1 0
2 1
3 2
4 3

I think that this would be great and we cou pass by this annoying
"range(len(a))" functions

Bruno Desthuilliers

azrael a écrit :
You know, sometimes it annoys me to write a for loop in Python. If we
use a list a=[1,2,3,4], and want to loop through it, Python offers the
next option1
2
3
4

I love this. So simple and smooth. But what happens if we need also
the position of an object in a list. Then there comes this annoying
writing.
for i in range(len(a)):
print a, i

1 0
2 1
3 2
4 3

for index, obj in enumerate(any_sequence):
print "obj %s is at position %s" % (obj, index)

print "And I might read the FineManual(tm) some day..."

HTH !-)

Oh, and while we're at it:
I think that it would be great if the Python language, which is a
totaly OOP language, could also use the index variable from the first
example and consider it as an object with a Object variable. I mean
the following.

Python is 100% OO in that everything (at least everything you can bind
to a name) is an object. But it doesn't mean everything has to be done
using the dotted syntax...