Suggestion for Web App

Discussion in 'Python' started by Harlin Seritt, Mar 24, 2006.

  1. I want to make a recommendation to a group of internal customers where
    I work concerning a Python web framework. They are seeking to build a
    portal that can handle around 5000 total users but probably no more
    than 100-200 simultaneous users. This is supposed to serve mainly
    static content - the content will hold references, tutorials and
    examples for different technologies, a forum (similar probably to
    phpbb) and podcasts (rss and mp3 files). Also I believe it will
    definitely need a decent DB server for this.

    They have some other suggestions ranging from Websphere/JSP's to PHP. I
    personally don't think the PHP will scale well for growth and I also
    think that using Java/JSPs will be too slow for this sort of thing.

    I normally work as system and application admin and use Python in a
    number of ways to get the job done. Naturally, I am naturally inclined
    to suggest something that uses Python or something "Pythonic". I wanted
    to suggest Zope but there are also other ones I'm thinking of as well
    like CherryPy and Karrigell. Which one of these (or other ones you guys
    know of) would do the best job in this situation?

    Also do you guys know if MySQL would work with this or should they use
    something more robust like DB2 (IBM shop)?

    Any suggestions are welcome.

    Thanks,

    Harlin Seritt
    Harlin Seritt, Mar 24, 2006

  2. Harlin Seritt

    Fuzzyman Guest

    Harlin Seritt wrote:
    > I want to make a recommendation to a group of internal customers where
    > I work concerning a Python web framework. They are seeking to build a
    > portal that can handle around 5000 total users but probably no more
    > than 100-200 simultaneous users. This is supposed to serve mainly
    > static content - the content will hold references, tutorials and
    > examples for different technologies, a forum (similar probably to
    > phpbb) and podcasts (rss and mp3 files). Also I believe it will
    > definitely need a decent DB server for this.

    Django. :)

    Why not just use static HTML for the static content ? You can serve RSS
    and mp3s as static content too. Do you need CMS capabilities via the
    web interface ?

    Then you can just use a separate forum program.

    Fuzzyman

    Fuzzyman, Mar 24, 2006

  3. "Why not just use static HTML for the static content ?"

    Makes sense... now, what about for having the portal capabilities
    (users log in, save profiles, etc)... what would be best for that? I
    really don't think though that a CMS is necessary. Does anyone know of
    a Python forum package similar to phpBB?

    thanks,

    Harlin
    Harlin Seritt, Mar 24, 2006
  4. Harlin Seritt

    Magnus Lycka Guest

    Harlin Seritt wrote:
    > I want to make a recommendation to a group of internal customers where
    > I work concerning a Python web framework. They are seeking to build a
    > portal that can handle around 5000 total users but probably no more
    > than 100-200 simultaneous users. This is supposed to serve mainly
    > static content - the content will hold references, tutorials and
    > examples for different technologies, a forum (similar probably to
    > phpbb) and podcasts (rss and mp3 files). Also I believe it will
    > definitely need a decent DB server for this.
    >
    > They have some other suggestions ranging from Websphere/JSP's to PHP. I
    > personally don't think the PHP will scale well for growth and I also
    > think that using Java/JSPs will be too slow for this sort of thing.

    There are certainly big PHP sites (Wikipedia?) and I'm not sure
    Python is faster than Java/JSP (given enough memory on the server).
    I'd use Python too, but that's more due to maintainablility and
    rapid development than performance.

    > I normally work as system and application admin and use Python in a
    > number of ways to get the job done. Naturally, I am naturally inclined
    > to suggest something that uses Python or something "Pythonic". I wanted
    > to suggest Zope but there are also other ones I'm thinking of as well
    > like CherryPy and Karrigell. Which one of these (or other ones you guys
    > know of) would do the best job in this situation?

    I never felt Zope was very pythonic... You certainly get a lot out
    of the box with Zope, but there seems to be a big learning curve as
    soon as you go beyond the most obvious things. Knowing Python won't
    mean that you feel at home in Zope. Zope 3 seems to improve things,
    but almost all existing Zope products today are Zope 2 thingies, so
    it seems a year early or so to jump onto the Zope 3 train if you don't
    want a lot of work.

    It seems the popular tool kits these days are Django and Turbo Gears.
    I have heard a lot of good things about both. I think both have video
    tutorials and other introduction docs that are easy to digest.

    > Also do you guys know if MySQL would work with this or should they use
    > something more robust like DB2 (IBM shop)?

    Typically, I warn people about MySQL, since it's not very mature in
    the role as a full RDBMS, but it's been very successful for use as
    container for web site content. This role, with lots of simple reads,
    no complex transactions and relatively few updates is just where
    MySQL shines. Don't use it for mission critical OLTP applications
    such as booking or accounting systems though. I think MySQL is robust.
    Magnus Lycka, Mar 28, 2006