Suggestion needed for huge DataGrid

Hardy Wang

Hi all:
Our web site uses 3-tier structure, the middle tier is a web service. We
also use Microsoft Data Access Application Block to access sql server.
Now I have to display a DataGrid with huge amount of data on web page,
of course the DataGrid has pager. But even though, the web service still
will return full DataSet to web server, and let web server to handle pages.
Since Microsoft Data Access Application Block does not support
SqlDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet, startReocrd, maxRecord, tableName) to reduce
the size of DataSet. Do you think there is a better way to improve
performace?
Yes, I can always extend Microsoft Data Access Application Block and
build my own pager.

AW

Hi Hardy,

May I suggest two solutions:
-if the full set of lines is going to be requested sooner or later, fill the
DataSet and place it in the Cache for the first time, then read it from the
Cache.
-if you don't need the full set of lines, you may use the SqlDataReader
combined with a TOP N command in your SQL query.