Suggestion to the Pragmatic Programmers

Shannon Fang

Hi Andy and Dave,

I recently purchased the PickAxe 2 PDF edition. I intended to use it to
replace the bundled help...

Although the book is very well written, even better than the first edition,
I still feel regreted that it is not in CHM... I use this book very
frequently when working, so I have a suggestion for you guys that is to
provide CHM edition for the next edition. I think PDF is not necessary, at
least for me, because it is not easy to use as a reference, and it also does
not give you the feeling of a real book.

PickAxe is a very good learning book, but it is much better used as a
reference book. I love this book and it introduced the fantastic ruby world
to me.

Thanks,
Shannon

James Edward Gray II

Hi Andy and Dave,

I recently purchased the PickAxe 2 PDF edition. I intended to use
it to replace the bundled help...

Although the book is very well written, even better than the first
edition, I still feel regreted that it is not in CHM... I use this
book very frequently when working, so I have a suggestion for you
guys that is to provide CHM edition for the next edition. I think
PDF is not necessary, at least for me, because it is not easy to
use as a reference, and it also does not give you the feeling of a
real book.

PickAxe is a very good learning book, but it is much better used as
a reference book. I love this book and it introduced the fantastic
ruby world to me.

You mailed this to a Ruby mailing list, but I think you wanted:

(e-mail address removed)

James Edward Gray II

Hans Fugal

While I don't have pickaxe2, I do have the rails book and I find the
PDF very easy to use as a reference in Apple's Preview app (their PDF
viewer), thanks to the drawer and search box. CHM - is that the windows
help format? If it were to be in some plain-text hypertext format I
would say a better bet would be HTML.

I haven't really used Acrobat in several versions (since 4 I think);
does it not have the table of contents and text searching?

cyberco

Totally agree. I also bought PickAxe II recently and even mailed the
authors asking whether I could obtain an HTML version as well. For the
same reasons you mention. The answer was unfortunately 'no'.