    I might end up getting both eventually, but to start with I'm not sure
    which to choose.

    Thanks!

    John Salerno, Oct 26, 2005

  2. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Correction: LP covers 2.3. The other covers 2.4.

    John Salerno, Oct 26, 2005

  3. John Salerno

    Curt Finch Guest

    Curt Finch, Oct 26, 2005
  4. John Salerno

    Guest

    Both of these books are great. Youc an't go wrong with either one.

    The Beginning Python has an itroduction to the language and then also
    some projects. Learning Python doens't have projects but is a great
    introduction to the language.

    Ron
    John Salerno wrote:
    > Hi all. I'm fairly new to programming and I thought I'd like to try
    > Python. I'm trying to decide between these two books:
    >
    > Learning Python (O'Reilly)
    > Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional (APress)
    >
    > and I was hoping you might have some suggestions. LP seems to be a good
    > intro, but the other was published only a month ago and covers 2.4. So
    > one question would be, is 2.2 different enough from 2.4 to warrant
    > getting the newer book for that reason?
    >
    > I might end up getting both eventually, but to start with I'm not sure
    > which to choose.
    >
    > Thanks!

    , Oct 26, 2005
  5. John Salerno

    Guest

    Many different opinions on books. But if you are learning programming
    and learning Python, you can't beat the online book: How To Think Like
    A Computer Scientist: Learning Pythong

    http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/

    It's concise and well-written.

    rd

    , Oct 26, 2005
  6. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I should mention that I misspoke
    when I said I'm new to programming. I've actually been learning C# for
    the past few months, and I'm fairly familiar with a lot of programming
    basics. I just wanted to make sure no one recommended an "Expert" level
    book! :)

    Basically I'd like an intro to the Python language/syntax. I don't
    necessarily need to know how everything works under the hood just yet.
    It seems Learning Python might be good for that. I get the feeling that
    Beginning Python starts out with the basics but quickly escalates.

    John Salerno, Oct 26, 2005
  7. On Oct 26, John Salerno wrote:
    > Hi all. I'm fairly new to programming and I thought I'd like to try
    > Python. I'm trying to decide between these two books:
    >
    > Learning Python (O'Reilly)
    > Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional (APress)

    Consider first reading the tutorial. If you prefer to read from paper
    there is a PDF version
    <http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.2/download.html>.

    There is also the "Python in a Nutshell" book which only covers Python
    2.2 but has a very concise language intro, and will become an
    invaluable reference. I wish I had started with this book; then I
    wouldn't have needed to buy some of the others.

    --
    _ _ ___
    |V|icah |- lliott http://micah.elliott.name
    " " """

    Micah Elliott, Oct 26, 2005
  8. John Salerno

    hrh1818 Guest

    I suggest you widen your search and you take a look at Chris Fehily's
    Python book. It is one of Peachpit Press's Visual Quickstart Guide
    books. The reason I suggest this book is it provides a lot more short
    examples of basic Python code than the two in your list.

    Howard

    hrh1818, Oct 26, 2005
  9. Micah Elliott <> wrote:

    > On Oct 26, John Salerno wrote:
    > > Hi all. I'm fairly new to programming and I thought I'd like to try
    > > Python. I'm trying to decide between these two books:
    > >
    > > Learning Python (O'Reilly)
    > > Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional (APress)

    > Consider first reading the tutorial. If you prefer to read from paper
    > there is a PDF version
    > <http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.2/download.html>.

    ....but both of the quoted books have added value.

    Well, I don't actually KNOW that about the APress one, since my good
    friend Magnus Hetland didn't think of sending me a review copy (hint,
    hint, Magnus, if you want any more recommendations;-), but its
    predecessor "Pratical Python" was good indeed.

    > There is also the "Python in a Nutshell" book which only covers Python
    > 2.2 but has a very concise language intro, and will become an
    > invaluable reference. I wish I had started with this book; then I
    > wouldn't have needed to buy some of the others.

    Why, thanks! I'm working on a new edition to cover 2.3 and 2.4 (and
    perhaps 2.5 by the time I'll be done, as progress is being quite slow --
    as uber technical lead at Google, I'm pretty busy these days!-), but I
    do agree that the current edition is still quite useful.

    Alex

    Alex Martelli, Oct 29, 2005