    programs to see anything on
    the computer display screen
    www.SeeScreen.com

    Peter Olcott, Oct 10, 2006

  2. Peter Olcott

    woods Guest

    In article <rYUWg.6644$eZ4.6154@dukeread06>,
    "Peter Olcott" <> wrote:

    > www.SeeScreen.com

    if you mean that one, it's impossible to provide suggestions. it's like
    asking for a quick fix and there isn't one.

    hire a designer and work with them to find the right solution.

    woods, Oct 10, 2006

  3. Peter Olcott

    Peter Olcott Guest

    "woods" <> wrote in message
    > In article <rYUWg.6644$eZ4.6154@dukeread06>,
    > "Peter Olcott" <> wrote:
    >
    >> www.SeeScreen.com

    > if you mean that one, it's impossible to provide suggestions. it's like
    > asking for a quick fix and there isn't one.
    >
    > hire a designer and work with them to find the right solution.

    What kinds of ideas could be used to make this page look more professional? One
    of the suggestions was to make the buttons indicate which one was selected.
    Another suggestion was to change how styles are handled to better conform with
    recommended practices.

    Peter Olcott, Oct 10, 2006
  4. Peter Olcott

    woods Guest

    In article <RvVWg.6667$eZ4.757@dukeread06>,
    "Peter Olcott" <> wrote:

    > "woods" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <rYUWg.6644$eZ4.6154@dukeread06>,
    > > "Peter Olcott" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> www.SeeScreen.com

    > > if you mean that one, it's impossible to provide suggestions. it's like
    > > asking for a quick fix and there isn't one.
    > >
    > > hire a designer and work with them to find the right solution.

    > What kinds of ideas could be used to make this page look more professional?
    > One
    > of the suggestions was to make the buttons indicate which one was selected.
    > Another suggestion was to change how styles are handled to better conform
    > with
    > recommended practices.

    re read what I wrote.

    woods, Oct 11, 2006
  5. Peter Olcott

    Peter Olcott Guest

    "woods" <> wrote in message
    > In article <RvVWg.6667$eZ4.757@dukeread06>,
    > "Peter Olcott" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "woods" <> wrote in message

    >> > if you mean that one, it's impossible to provide suggestions. it's like
    >> > asking for a quick fix and there isn't one.
    >> >
    >> > hire a designer and work with them to find the right solution.

    >> What kinds of ideas could be used to make this page look more professional?
    >> One
    >> of the suggestions was to make the buttons indicate which one was selected.
    >> Another suggestion was to change how styles are handled to better conform
    >> with
    >> recommended practices.

    > re read what I wrote.

    I have already hired a designer and want to provide him with more ideas. You
    indicated that the kind of advice that I was asking for can not be reasonably be
    provided, I have refuted this statement by providing two valid counter examples
    of the advice that you said could not be provided.

    Peter Olcott, Oct 11, 2006
  6. Peter Olcott

    mark r Guest

    Peter Olcott wrote:
    > "woods" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <RvVWg.6667$eZ4.757@dukeread06>,
    > > "Peter Olcott" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "woods" <> wrote in message

    > >> What kinds of ideas could be used to make this page look more professional?
    > >> One
    > >> of the suggestions was to make the buttons indicate which one was selected.
    > >> Another suggestion was to change how styles are handled to better conform
    > >> with
    > >> recommended practices.

    > > re read what I wrote.

    > I have already hired a designer and want to provide him with more ideas. You
    > indicated that the kind of advice that I was asking for can not be reasonably be
    > provided, I have refuted this statement by providing two valid counter examples
    > of the advice that you said could not be provided.

    if you're having to give him ideas then hes not a very good designer -
    just ask him "i want the best possible website for £X" then see what
    he comes up with - listen to their suggestions (they should have lots
    of suggestions) and if they know what theyre on about take their advice
    and change your online business model to suit - then you will have an
    amazing website...

    you would if you hired me anyway :)

    www.newmediadesigns.co.uk

    mark r, Oct 11, 2006
  7. Peter Olcott

    Glorywest Guest

    Peter Olcott wrote:
    > I have already hired a designer and want to provide him with more ideas. You
    > indicated that the kind of advice that I was asking for can not be reasonably be
    > provided, I have refuted this statement by providing two valid counter examples
    > of the advice that you said could not be provided.

    Your designer should be providing the ideas. All you should have to do
    is communicate the goals of the site, problems you are having, who the
    audience is, long range considerations and your budget range. The
    designer's job is to create a website that addresses and solves the
    problems put forth-creatively and within your budget.

    You should review your designer's work to see if that is how they have
    performed in the past. Your designer should also be interviewing you
    for what you know is not working and why you think it's not working.
    Not for suggestions about how to fix it.

    Example: Our clients cannot find the prices and we are still getting
    calls about pricing when all that info is on the site. We want to be
    able to get more qualified leads from the site, but all we get are
    shoppers, not buyers. We have not been able to get into the first 10
    results for our keyword phrases.

    Designer: To solve these issues I suggest we...

    If you have to ask us, your designer is not doing his/her job. What are
    you paying for? It sounds like you want to design instead. You may want
    to consider another designer or perhaps just find a production person
    so you can give all the instructions to them. It should be less
    expensive than hiring a designer.

    Glorywest, Oct 11, 2006
  8. Peter Olcott

    woods Guest

    In article <>,
    "mark r" <> wrote:

    > if you're having to give him ideas then hes not a very good designer -

    2nd that.

    > you would if you hired me anyway :)

    but he needs a very good designer. :p

    woods, Oct 11, 2006
  9. Peter Olcott

    woods Guest

    In article <>,
    "Glorywest" <> wrote:

    >or perhaps just find a production person
    > so you can give all the instructions to them. It should be less
    > expensive than hiring a designer.

    clients should never DIY design. bad suggestion.

    woods, Oct 11, 2006
  10. Peter Olcott

    Peter Olcott Guest

    "Glorywest" <> wrote in message

    > Peter Olcott wrote:
    >> I have already hired a designer and want to provide him with more ideas. You
    >> indicated that the kind of advice that I was asking for can not be reasonably
    >> be
    >> provided, I have refuted this statement by providing two valid counter
    >> examples
    >> of the advice that you said could not be provided.

    > Your designer should be providing the ideas. All you should have to do
    > is communicate the goals of the site, problems you are having, who the
    > audience is, long range considerations and your budget range. The
    > designer's job is to create a website that addresses and solves the
    > problems put forth-creatively and within your budget.
    >
    > You should review your designer's work to see if that is how they have
    > performed in the past. Your designer should also be interviewing you
    > for what you know is not working and why you think it's not working.
    > Not for suggestions about how to fix it.
    >
    > Example: Our clients cannot find the prices and we are still getting
    > calls about pricing when all that info is on the site. We want to be
    > able to get more qualified leads from the site, but all we get are
    > shoppers, not buyers. We have not been able to get into the first 10
    > results for our keyword phrases.
    >
    > Designer: To solve these issues I suggest we...
    >
    > If you have to ask us, your designer is not doing his/her job. What are
    > you paying for? It sounds like you want to design instead. You may want
    > to consider another designer or perhaps just find a production person
    > so you can give all the instructions to them. It should be less
    > expensive than hiring a designer.

    I am looking for suggestions pertaining to style, not functionality. What are
    the kinds of things that can be done to a site like mine that look good.

    Peter Olcott, Oct 11, 2006
  11. "Peter Olcott" <> schreef in bericht

    > "Glorywest" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Peter Olcott wrote:
    >>> I have already hired a designer and want to provide him with more ideas.
    >>> You
    >>> indicated that the kind of advice that I was asking for can not be
    >>> reasonably be
    >>> provided, I have refuted this statement by providing two valid counter
    >>> examples
    >>> of the advice that you said could not be provided.

    >> Your designer should be providing the ideas. All you should have to do
    >> is communicate the goals of the site, problems you are having, who the
    >> audience is, long range considerations and your budget range. The
    >> designer's job is to create a website that addresses and solves the
    >> problems put forth-creatively and within your budget.
    >>
    >> You should review your designer's work to see if that is how they have
    >> performed in the past. Your designer should also be interviewing you
    >> for what you know is not working and why you think it's not working.
    >> Not for suggestions about how to fix it.
    >>
    >> Example: Our clients cannot find the prices and we are still getting
    >> calls about pricing when all that info is on the site. We want to be
    >> able to get more qualified leads from the site, but all we get are
    >> shoppers, not buyers. We have not been able to get into the first 10
    >> results for our keyword phrases.
    >>
    >> Designer: To solve these issues I suggest we...
    >>
    >> If you have to ask us, your designer is not doing his/her job. What are
    >> you paying for? It sounds like you want to design instead. You may want
    >> to consider another designer or perhaps just find a production person
    >> so you can give all the instructions to them. It should be less
    >> expensive than hiring a designer.
    >>

    > I am looking for suggestions pertaining to style, not functionality. What
    > are the kinds of things that can be done to a site like mine that look
    > good.

    Hire another designer if you don`t like the design now?
    I didn`t like the small letters, they annoyed me.

    salami met bami, Oct 12, 2006
  12. Peter Olcott

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "mark r" <> wrote:

    > if you're having to give him ideas then hes not a very good designer -

    .... and if they know what theyre on about take their advice
    > and change your online business model to suit - then you will have an
    > amazing website...
    >
    > you would if you hired me anyway :)
    >
    > www.newmediadesigns.co.uk

    Am I developing a 6th sense? I can often smell a tables-layout
    from 3 miles away. Yup!

    (Relax, mark r... I am not saying it isn't nice...)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 12, 2006
  13. Peter Olcott

    John Hosking Guest

    Re: Suggestions for improving the quality of the design of this site???

    Peter Olcott wrote (regarding http://www.seescreen.com/):

    > I am looking for suggestions pertaining to style, not functionality. What are
    > the kinds of things that can be done to a site like mine that look good.

    Okay, I'll bite (my websites do, so why not?).

    I'm no designer, but I would point out:

    The text sizes are too small. (And specifying them in px isn't too
    cool. Thank &deity; I have Firefox.) (Ooh, this just in: the text in the
    middle of the Unique page is even tiiinier. Are you afraid someone might
    read this stuff?)

    The page requires that my browser viewport be 820 px wide. Any more than
    that and I have wasted browser real estate left and right; any less and
    I get a horiz. scrollbar because of the logo image (and I can't see all
    the text). Fluid design would be friendlier.

    The logo image is all you have to capture the visitor's imagination, and
    mine, for one, got away. It doesn't do too much for me (*yawn*. Oh
    sorry.). What do you mean to communicate with it?

    The bodytext itself could be better formatted; it's heavy and dull, with
    nothing breaking it up or inciting any interest. The closest it gets is
    at the bottom with a two-item list. If this is really the exciting part
    of your product, put it in a box, up higher, with maybe a slightly
    different coloring or something, up *next* to the boring technical
    explanation.

    The nav links up top look almost like register tabs, but they don't
    quite go all the way, and they look cheap. Like an imitation leather
    wallet you got at the dime store. See other websites for comparison.

    Your links to "Home" in the nav doesn't do anything useful. Is your
    index.html a pure white page? (Hint: yes.)

    I have the feeling something is missing in the blue, uh, area in the
    upper-right corner. Is there supposed to be text there? A linky?

    Apart from all of that, I have other criticisms regarding the
    construction of the site (HTML & CSS). Things like:

    SeeScreen Provides Two Unique Capabilities:<br>
    </b></font>

    and the entire table-based design tell me the site should be recoded
    from scratch as part of the redesign. But you didn't ask about that, I
    think, so I'll just hope I've helped a little with my paltry suggestions
    concerning the look. Good luck.

    --
    John

    John Hosking, Oct 12, 2006
  14. Peter Olcott

    Jim Douglas Guest

    Re: Suggestions for improving the quality of the design of this site???

    Move the tabs closer to each other so they look like tabs.....
    Top right of screen is missing something...............,
    Since you have a software product how about some screen shots.....
    How about some customer comments, if you have any, if not give the
    product to a few potential customers so you can get their feedback.......
    SeeScreen logo text in upper left possible larger, next to impossible to
    read the "tag line".........
    Boost your business section smaller so you can get to the meat below it
    quicker...........

    Believe me there are sites much worse than this one. Check out other
    sites and get ideas of what you like, colors, design patterns, etc.
    Remember the saying "Opinions are like $33holes, everyone has one"

    Good luck with your business.

    Jim Douglas, Oct 12, 2006
  15. Peter Olcott

    Glorywest Guest

    Peter Olcott wrote:
    > I am looking for suggestions pertaining to style, not functionality. What are
    > the kinds of things that can be done to a site like mine that look good.

    Anything is possible. What do you think it should look like? Sorry to
    sound like a shrink.

    Before I start work with a client I assign homework for them. I have
    them prepare a set of adjectives to describe their business or what
    they would like the site to convey, i.e. Hi Tech, conservative, cool,
    friendly, superior, welcoming. Doesn't matter what the words are, just
    that they pertain to their site, mission or product. At least 5-10
    words. Then I ask them to show me 3-4 websites that appeal to them.
    Doesn't matter what the subject is, I just want to know what they like.
    I also ask that they be able to tell me why they like the sites. Style,
    color, content, pizazz. Then if it seems they really have no idea what
    they like (as you do right now) I ask that they cruise some template
    sites and then email me the numbers so I can get a feel for what they
    like.

    It's your site and your company. It has to have a sense of you. At
    least that's how I approach it. And many times it's very hard for
    clients to communicate what they want or why. By going through these
    steps together it give us a way to talk about what is appealing.

    Glorywest, Oct 12, 2006