Suggestions for learning resources

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by sebadinoist, Aug 22, 2007.

  1. sebadinoist

    sebadinoist Guest

    Hello,

    I am a classic ASP developer and have also coded desktop applications
    in VB.NET. I have been using ASP.NET for a while for some simple
    administration tools for our Intranet.

    I have read a few books in order to get a good understanding of the
    ASP.NET controls (Framework 2.0 at the moment) and this has helped me
    to create these simple admin websites.

    However, I want to get my teeth into ASP.NET properly now and am
    finding that I am unsure of the "Correct way to do things in
    ASP.NET". For example, I am using Master Pages, separating my content
    from code (using code-behind), separating my DB work into a separate
    object, using an OO approach etc.

    I am finding it difficult to know if I am using the correct ASP.NET
    controls though - I seem to find myself using the Repeater object far
    too much! Some of the books I have read do have sections on
    structuring your site, but I find that too many are using the "<asp:"
    controls for database work etc and are not particularly scalable.

    I guess what i'd like to know is if anyone can recommend a good
    resource (book, website, etc) which gives good professional examples
    of how to structure large complicated websites.

    Any advice would be very welcome!

    Thanks!

    sebadinoist, Aug 22, 2007

  2. Hello,

    Advanced books for further reading on ASP .net 2.0:

    Programming ASP.NET 2.0 Core Reference (Paperback)
    by D. Esposito (Author)

    Programming Microsoft ASP.NET 2.0 Applications: Advanced Topics (Paperback)
    by D. Esposito (Author)

    About scaling large sites, you should take a look at Web Client Software
    Factory:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/07/08/ExtremeASPNET/Default.aspx?

    About how to make your site really interactive, take a look at AJAX ASP .net

    http://www.asp.net/ajax/

    HTH
    Braulio

    /// ------------------------------
    /// Braulio Diez
    ///
    /// http://www.tipsdotnet.com
    /// ------------------------------

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJhdWxpbyBEaWV6?=, Aug 22, 2007

  3. sebadinoist

    Guest Guest

    Keep your eye on .NET 3.5/VS.NET 2008: based on experience, it will change
    the way you implement some very common patterns. Download the betas and get
    rolling. For the most part the changes are great.

    Try to get a very solid handle on databound controls and using their
    templating systems effectively.

    -KF

    Guest, Aug 22, 2007