Suggestions needed for list of links

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Corn Flakes, Aug 12, 2007.

  1. Corn Flakes

    Corn Flakes Guest

    Hello All:

    I have a small site under development, I was trying to make a tag-
    cloud page and it can be accessed (for testing purposes, not complete
    yet!) at

    http://www.stutimandal.com/tags.php

    I am disappointed with the look and feel of links. I want to increase

    Also, it would be good if I can put the links in a "text-align:
    justified" manner. IE seems to fail there.

    Finally, when I click the links in Firefox, the line-spacing changes
    on click which is bugging me. I tried validation and only got a few
    warnings related to a-styling (and I could not understand it either :)
    This onclick spacing adjustment does not happens in Opera or IE.

    So any feedback on these issues will be deeply appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Animesh
    Corn Flakes, Aug 12, 2007

  2. Scripsit Corn Flakes:

    > I was trying to make a tag-cloud page

    Why? Web pages are supposed to be useable, not puzzles.

    > I am disappointed with the look and feel of links.

    What links? Are there links on the page? There is nothing that looks like a
    link.

    > I want to increase the line spacing,

    So it's not a cloud, it's just a sequence of lines with font size variation
    inside them.

    Why would you do that? You have no <p>aragraph there.

    > Also, it would be good if I can put the links in a "text-align:
    > justified" manner.

    No it wouldn't.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 12, 2007

  3. Corn Flakes

    Corn Flakes Guest

    On Aug 12, 2:57 pm, "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:
    > Scripsit Corn Flakes:
    >
    > > I was trying to make a tag-cloud page

    > Why? Web pages are supposed to be useable, not puzzles.

    I don't want to argue why tags or tag-clouds are useful.

    If you are having a bad sunday, you can buy those "hit me" balloon-
    toys.
    Corn Flakes, Aug 12, 2007
  4. Corn Flakes

    Animesh K Guest

    On Aug 12, 2:46 pm, Corn Flakes <> wrote:
    > Hello All:
    >
    > I have a small site under development, I was trying to make a tag-
    > cloud page and it can be accessed (for testing purposes, not complete
    > yet!) at
    >
    > http://www.stutimandal.com/tags.php
    >
    > I am disappointed with the look and feel of links. I want to increase
    >
    > Also, it would be good if I can put the links in a "text-align:
    > justified" manner. IE seems to fail there.
    >
    > Finally, when I click the links in Firefox, the line-spacing changes
    > on click which is bugging me. I tried validation and only got a few
    > warnings related to a-styling (and I could not understand it either :)
    > This onclick spacing adjustment does not happens in Opera or IE.
    >
    > So any feedback on these issues will be deeply appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Animesh

    Ok I got the answers to this question using google. Ignore the
    question.
    Animesh K, Aug 12, 2007
  5. Scripsit Corn Flakes:

    >>> I was trying to make a tag-cloud page

    >> Why? Web pages are supposed to be useable, not puzzles.

    > I don't want to argue why tags or tag-clouds are useful.

    Nobody asked you to.

    You posted to a public discussion forum. I explained why your idea is wrong.
    That's how discussions go. If they sometimes happen to answer the question
    you asked, stay alert: there is no guarantee that the answer is correct, or
    that it makes anything any better.

    If you're dissatisfied with this service, you can discontinue your
    subscription and ask for a refund.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 13, 2007
  6. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Scripsit Corn Flakes:

    >>> Why? Web pages are supposed to be useable, not puzzles.

    >> I don't want to argue why tags or tag-clouds are useful.

    > Nobody asked you to.
    >
    > You posted to a public discussion forum. I explained why your idea is
    > wrong. That's how discussions go.

    With all respect Yukka, you didn't explain or discussed why tag-clouds
    are wrong. You said that web-pages are supposed to be useable, which is
    true, but a tag-cloud can help to make a web-site very useable. So
    tag-clouds are very helpful to access the content on a web-site. Please
    note the difference between a page and a site, and the OP is using a
    tag-cloud in a similar manner as a sitemap: as an element belonging to
    the metanavigation. This has nothing to do with the webpages being
    'puzzles' as you argued.

    cheers
    bernhard

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply
    Bernhard Sturm, Aug 13, 2007
  7. Corn Flakes

    Animesh K Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Scripsit Corn Flakes:

    >>> Why? Web pages are supposed to be useable, not puzzles.

    >> I don't want to argue why tags or tag-clouds are useful.

    > Nobody asked you to.

    What is your "why" doing up there?
    Animesh K, Aug 13, 2007
  8. Scripsit Animesh K:

    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >> Scripsit Corn Flakes:

    >>> I don't want to argue why tags or tag-clouds are useful.

    >> Nobody asked you to.

    > What is your "why" doing up there?

    It's a question about motivation. If you take it as a request to argue,
    that's your choice, but nobody asked you, or "Corn Flakes", to argue.

    (I don't expect a person claiming "Corn Flakes" to be his or her full name
    to be _able_ to argue.)

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 14, 2007
  9. Corn Flakes

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 14 Aug 2007 07:04:20
    GMT Jukka K. Korpela scribed:

    > Scripsit Animesh K:

    >>> Nobody asked you to.

    >> What is your "why" doing up there?

    > It's a question about motivation. If you take it as a request to
    > argue, that's your choice, but nobody asked you, or "Corn Flakes", to
    > argue.
    >
    > (I don't expect a person claiming "Corn Flakes" to be his or her full
    > name to be _able_ to argue.)

    Perhaps you should let the lad vent. The last thing we need is another
    cereal killer.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Aug 14, 2007
  10. Corn Flakes

    rf Guest

    "Neredbojias" <> wrote in message
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 14 Aug 2007 07:04:20
    > GMT Jukka K. Korpela scribed:

    >> (I don't expect a person claiming "Corn Flakes" to be his or her full
    >> name to be _able_ to argue.)

    > Perhaps you should let the lad vent. The last thing we need is another
    > cereal killer.

    <groan/>

    And I was going to say that lots of good stuff [1] comes out of cornflake
    packets.

    You _must_ search the tag cloud for one that leads to a 404 (anything past
    the first page). They *demand* your email address before they let you tell
    them about it. Don't they ever look at error.log? :)

    [1] HTML degrees, drezigner licences, tag clouds, ...

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Aug 14, 2007
  11. Corn Flakes

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 14 Aug 2007 08:05:02
    GMT rf scribed:

    >>> (I don't expect a person claiming "Corn Flakes" to be his or her
    >>> full name to be _able_ to argue.)

    >> Perhaps you should let the lad vent. The last thing we need is
    >> another cereal killer.

    > <groan/>

    <he he/>

    > And I was going to say that lots of good stuff [1] comes out of
    > cornflake packets.

    Yeah. Probably dorayme, fer instance...

    > You _must_ search the tag cloud for one that leads to a 404 (anything
    > past the first page). They *demand* your email address before they let
    > you tell them about it. Don't they ever look at error.log? :)
    >
    > [1] HTML degrees, drezigner licences, tag clouds, ...

    Do you realize that I have absolutely no idea what a "tag cloud" is?
    Somebody was talking about a "cron job" the other day, too, and -phffft!
    But ignorance is bliss, -at least in the sense that I hardly need any more
    things to cause me aggravation.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Aug 14, 2007
  12. Corn Flakes

    Animesh K Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Scripsit Animesh K:
    >
    >> Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >>> Scripsit Corn Flakes:

    >>> Nobody asked you to.

    >> What is your "why" doing up there?

    > It's a question about motivation. If you take it as a request to argue,
    > that's your choice, but nobody asked you, or "Corn Flakes", to argue.
    >
    > (I don't expect a person claiming "Corn Flakes" to be his or her full
    > name to be _able_ to argue.)

    Your why followed with an explanation that web pages are supposed to be
    useful. Which basically means (to a random reader, not you) that you are
    telling tag clouds are not useful (or at least you don't know why it is
    useful).

    If names did the trick, precious.com should be the leading website ---
    rather than google or orkut. Such useless generalizations don't lead
    anyone anywhere.
    Animesh K, Aug 14, 2007
  13. Corn Flakes

    Animesh K Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 14 Aug 2007 07:04:20
    > GMT Jukka K. Korpela scribed:
    >
    >> Scripsit Animesh K:
    >>> What is your "why" doing up there?

    >> It's a question about motivation. If you take it as a request to
    >> argue, that's your choice, but nobody asked you, or "Corn Flakes", to
    >> argue.
    >>
    >> (I don't expect a person claiming "Corn Flakes" to be his or her full
    >> name to be _able_ to argue.)

    > Perhaps you should let the lad vent. The last thing we need is another
    > cereal killer.

    That lad is me. I was toying with google groups a few month ago and took
    that as a handle. I forgot to change it. I changed it as soon as I
    noticed it.

    I am not venting any anger. You should see what Jukka's replies were to
    my questions. Either he was unaware of the answers, or he was wasting
    his time.
    Animesh K, Aug 14, 2007
  14. Corn Flakes

    Animesh K Guest

    rf wrote:
    > "Neredbojias" <> wrote in message
    >> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 14 Aug 2007 07:04:20
    >> GMT Jukka K. Korpela scribed:

    >>> (I don't expect a person claiming "Corn Flakes" to be his or her full
    >>> name to be _able_ to argue.)

    >> Perhaps you should let the lad vent. The last thing we need is another
    >> cereal killer.

    > <groan/>
    >
    > And I was going to say that lots of good stuff [1] comes out of cornflake
    > packets.
    >
    > You _must_ search the tag cloud for one that leads to a 404 (anything past
    > the first page). They *demand* your email address before they let you tell
    > them about it. Don't they ever look at error.log? :)
    >
    > [1] HTML degrees, drezigner licences, tag clouds, ...

    You suffer from selective reading. I had mentioned that the website is
    under development right now [Quote -> it can be accessed (for testing
    purposes, not complete yet!)].

    The 404 behavior can of course be changed. But I am getting enough spam
    from the contact form right now. If I remove the email id field, I will
    get them even more. If you are worried, you can just enter
    and it should work.
    Animesh K, Aug 14, 2007
  15. Corn Flakes

    Animesh K Guest

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_cloud
    Animesh K, Aug 14, 2007
  16. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Scripsit Corn Flakes:

    >>> Why? Web pages are supposed to be useable, not puzzles.

    >> I don't want to argue why tags or tag-clouds are useful.

    > Nobody asked you to.
    >
    > You posted to a public discussion forum. I explained why your idea is
    > wrong.

    Actually, you didn't. You made the general observation that web pages
    are supposed to be usable (to the OP--Jukka wrote "usable", not
    "useful"), implying that tag clouds aren't but without explaining why.

    I gather, though, that you also do think they aren't useful I'm curious
    why you feel this use of compact visual cues is neither useful nor usable.
    Harlan Messinger, Aug 14, 2007
  17. Animesh K wrote:

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_cloud

    "A tag cloud is a set of related tags with corresponding weights.
    Typical tag clouds have between 30 and 150 tags."

    Yesss ... I can see myself looking through a mess such as the pictured
    sample on that page, looking for "Purchase" ...

    Hopefully, Google will have other sites that sell the same product.

    If it is for your personal site, have fun.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 14, 2007
  18. Corn Flakes

    Animesh K Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Animesh K wrote:
    >
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_cloud

    > "A tag cloud is a set of related tags with corresponding weights.
    > Typical tag clouds have between 30 and 150 tags."
    >
    > Yesss ... I can see myself looking through a mess such as the pictured
    > sample on that page, looking for "Purchase" ...
    >
    > Hopefully, Google will have other sites that sell the same product.
    >
    > If it is for your personal site, have fun.

    Text tag clouds are sorted alphabetically and they worked for me on
    three-four websites. That's why I thought of having it. A tag cloud,
    irrespective of being dense or tricky, is better than having no filter
    method. Tags are getting pretty standard at blogs. Those who use gmail
    also use labels (another name for tags).

    A new method can be embraced or refused. It is your choice.
    Animesh K, Aug 14, 2007
  19. Animesh K wrote:

    > A new method can be embraced or refused. It is your choice.

    It is my choice, you are correct.

    (Now where is that other site that also sells widgets... one that can be
    navigated with some ease.)

    Don't get me wrong. As I said, if this is a personal site, do what you
    please. Since your example seems to be about poetry (I don't read the
    language), maybe it is ok... but not for any kind of business or
    information site.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 14, 2007
  20. Corn Flakes

    Animesh K Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Animesh K wrote:
    >
    >> A new method can be embraced or refused. It is your choice.

    > It is my choice, you are correct.
    >
    > (Now where is that other site that also sells widgets... one that can be
    > navigated with some ease.)
    >
    > Don't get me wrong. As I said, if this is a personal site, do what you
    > please. Since your example seems to be about poetry (I don't read the
    > language), maybe it is ok... but not for any kind of business or
    > information site.

    I think the obfuscation is due to an Indian language. If I wrote
    "Wordsworth" "Flowers" "Shakespeare" "Solitude" "Carroll" and so on, I
    think you would find it useful too.

    For business sites, I am unsure about its usage. In certain yellowpages
    like directory, these clouds can be useful.
    Animesh K, Aug 14, 2007