suggestions needed

lalit

hello
i wish to prepare a project using java on web based applications.
in which i have prepare a login interface which authenticates a user
according to the database server at the server side and after that
authersises it to carry out operations based on permissions granted.
it uses email for notifiactions to user and head of depts of the
organisation.it can also generate report based upon users stats.
i am through with core java,
so plz tell me what j2ee components should i study that are apt for
developing such a prj and best posiible s/w tools that i can use?

hthukral.mickey

hello
i wish to prepare a project using java on web based applications.
in which i have prepare a login interface which authenticates a user
according to the database server at the server side and after that
authersises it to carry out operations based on permissions granted.
it uses email for notifiactions to user and head of depts of the
organisation.it can also generate report based upon users stats.
i am through with core java,
so plz tell me what j2ee components should i study that are apt for
developing such a prj and best posiible s/w tools that i can use?

hi..
Lalit before i proceed any further ineed to know wt u do (your
profession)..
??
r u a java web developer or a learner
thanks

Lew

lalit said:
hello
i wish to prepare a project using java on web based applications.
in which i have prepare a login interface which authenticates a user
according to the database server at the server side and after that
authersises it to carry out operations based on permissions granted.
it uses email for notifiactions to user and head of depts of the
organisation.it can also generate report based upon users stats.
i am through with core java,
so plz tell me what j2ee components should i study that are apt for
developing such a prj and best posiible s/w tools that i can use?

J2EE, or JEE as Sun would like us to call it these days, has a lot of parts.

If you are familiar with "regular" Java, and good O-O concepts like
polymorphism, then study at least the following:

JSP
servlets
Apache Tomcat
Model-View-Controller architecture (also called "Model 2")
JDBC (Java DataBase Connectivity)

It is a very large field.

Marty Hall is a very good author in this area.

O'Reilly publishes some useful books.

Sun has a JEE tutorial on its website.

Also, it is useful to have a good practical knowledge of database design and
implementation, and of the SQL language. I recommend PostgreSQL as an
open-source database, and many people like Derby.

- Lew

Oliver Wong

lalit said:
hello
i wish to prepare a project using java on web based applications.
in which i have prepare a login interface which authenticates a user
according to the database server at the server side and after that
authersises it to carry out operations based on permissions granted.
it uses email for notifiactions to user and head of depts of the
organisation.it can also generate report based upon users stats.
i am through with core java,
so plz tell me what j2ee components should i study that are apt for
developing such a prj and best posiible s/w tools that i can use?

I don't know J2EE very well (only recently started studying it myself),
but from what I've seen J2EE has built in support for login authentication
and e-mail notifications. However, it looks like the authentication system
has changed dramatically from J2EE 1.4 to J2EE5 (from a code-based approach
to an annotation based approach), so what you should read probably depends
on what version of J2EE you're deploying on.

Here's the tutorial for the 1.4 approach. You can use google to find the
J2EE5 approach.

http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/tutorial/doc/Security5.html

As for the e-mail part, I haven't noticed any significant changes
between 1.4 and 5. The package is called "JavaMail" and its homepage is at
http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/

- Oliver