Suggestions on how to let users install printer from intranet

Guest

My boss one day ask if I can create a web site in intranet to let user
install printer as well as set it as default themselves without IT's help. I
have done some research and brain storming with the development team and we
have a problem, which is, if I develop the application in ASP.NET, how can I
manipulate the users local PC settings (set default printer)? Should I use
ActiveX? The IE security settings within my company is not standard so there
may be chances ActiveX downloading are blocked. Also ActiveX seems to be a
technology that is to old to be used. Other than ActiveX, is there anyway I
can achieve it? If the user do not have the driver for the printer that he
choose, will the driver be automatically downloaded to user's PC? Users are
not in administrator group on their PC so even if the driver can be
downloaded and installed automatically, do the user need any special access
rights to do it? All of my users are using Windows 2000 or XP.

Thanks.