    --
    Old Fart
    Work Is A Dirty 4 Letter Word

    Old Fart, Jun 24, 2009

  2. Old Fart

    Ari Heino Guest

    No apostrophe on nice ones. And what's wrong with not-so-nice ones?
    'Cause that's what you'll get if you ask for nice ones ;)

    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hide pages from search engine

    > also they want a collage of pictures on the index page
    > any tips on a graphics editor to do this please ?

    Define what you mean with "collage" here: a picture made of pictures, or
    separate, perhaps linked, pictures on one page?

    Eg. Picasa will make you both of these.

    BTW: Check your grammar if you ever make the pages.

    --
    Ari
    http://users.utu.fi/athein/

    Ari Heino, Jun 24, 2009

  3. Old Fart

    Old Fart Guest

    hence my name "The Old Fart" grammar wasn't invented when I went to school

    Old Fart, Jun 24, 2009
  4. Old Fart

    Old Fart Guest

    Thank You I downloaded it and it worked better than expected exactly what I
    wanted
    Thank You once again

    could you suggest a site map program please

    Old Fart, Jun 24, 2009
  5. Old Fart

    Ari Heino Guest

    Old Fart kirjoitti seuraavasti:
    > could you suggest a site map program please

    No, sorry. Never used any.

    --
    Ari
    http://users.utu.fi/athein/

    Ari Heino, Jun 24, 2009
  6. Re: Suggestions Please (nice one's)

    On Jun 24, 5:24 am, "Old Fart" <> wrote:
    > I have been asked to make a site map for a site at work the site is for a
    > closed audience
    > so I don't really want it displayed on search engines ,, suggestions on how
    > to do it please ?
    >
    > also they want a collage of pictures on the index page
    > any tips on a graphics editor to do this please ?
    >
    > --
    > Old Fart
    > Work Is A Dirty 4 Letter Word

    I believe the following meta tag should take care of search engines:

    Can someone please confirm?

    www.richardfisher.com

    Helpful person, Jun 24, 2009
  7. Old Fart

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 24 June, 14:00, Helpful person <> wrote:

    > I believe the following meta tag should take care of search engines:

    It's not great. The problem is that it addresses a slightly different
    problem - how to stop spiders _traversing_ your site and choosing what
    to index, rather than stopping the content analysis bots from looking
    at items to be indexed. You place this meta onto a page and it will
    discourage well-behaved robots from following links off that page to
    other pages (such as your super-secret sitemap).

    Nofollow in particular is of no use once some other page (possibly on
    a site that isn't yours to control) has already discovered your
    sitemap and exposed its URL to the web, or else the spider simply
    guesses that there's probably something called "sitemap" in the root
    directory.

    A better approach is a robots.txt file. This switches off indexing at
    the directory level, and applies to the targets of this indexing, not
    the referrers.

    Really of course you might as well use both.

    Andy Dingley, Jun 24, 2009
  8. Re: Suggestions Please (nice one's)

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Andy Dingley
    <> writing in news:fa205bb6-b304-4ee1-8d7d-
    :

    > On 24 June, 14:00, Helpful person <> wrote:
    >
    >> I believe the following meta tag should take care of search engines:

    > It's not great. The problem is that it addresses a slightly different
    > problem - how to stop spiders _traversing_ your site and choosing what
    > to index, rather than stopping the content analysis bots from looking
    > at items to be indexed. You place this meta onto a page and it will
    > discourage well-behaved robots from following links off that page to
    > other pages (such as your super-secret sitemap).
    >
    > Nofollow in particular is of no use once some other page (possibly on
    > a site that isn't yours to control) has already discovered your
    > sitemap and exposed its URL to the web, or else the spider simply
    > guesses that there's probably something called "sitemap" in the root
    > directory.
    >
    > A better approach is a robots.txt file. This switches off indexing at
    > the directory level, and applies to the targets of this indexing, not
    > the referrers.
    >
    > Really of course you might as well use both.

    In addition, for links that should not be followed, such as <a
    href="donotfollowlink">do not follow me</a>, use
    <link type="canonical" href="http://example.com/page" /> in the head of
    the document. Most of the big SEs obey that.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 24, 2009
  9. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Old Fart"
    <> writing in

    > I have been asked to make a site map for a site at work the site is
    > for a closed audience
    > so I don't really want it displayed on search engines ,, suggestions
    > on how to do it please ?

    No way to really do this without requiring some sort of server side
    login, eg:

    <?php
    if(!isset($_SESSION['loggedin']))
    {header ('location:login.php');}
    ?>

    As for sitemapping software, I use Softplus GSiteCrawler
    [http://gsitecrawler.com]. It creates sitemaps for Google and Yahoo, as
    well as sitemaps for the website (although you do have to tweak those to
    suit).

    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 24, 2009
  10. Re: Suggestions Please (nice one's)

    On 24 Jun., 11:24, "Old Fart" <> wrote:
    > I have been asked to make a site map for a site at work the site is for a
    > closed audience
    > so I don't really want it displayed on search engines ,, suggestions on how
    > to do it please ?

    Or you can put that single file on a free webspace where you never
    will be indexed
    even if you would like it.

    Jan C. Faerber, Jun 24, 2009
  11. Old Fart

    Old Fart Guest

    "Jan C. Faerber" <> wrote in message
    > On 24 Jun., 11:24, "Old Fart" <> wrote:
    > > I have been asked to make a site map for a site at work the site is for

    > > closed audience
    > > so I don't really want it displayed on search engines ,, suggestions on

    how
    > > to do it please ?

    > Or you can put that single file on a free webspace where you never
    > will be indexed
    > even if you would like it.

    Thank You Everyone for your suggestions
    I will have a look at them and get things going
    Thanks Again

    --
    Old Fart
    Work Is A Dirty 4 Letter Word