[SUMMARY] Magic Fingers (#120)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Ruby Quiz, Apr 19, 2007.

  1. Ruby Quiz

    Ruby Quiz Guest

    Eric I. said it best when he said the real trick of this quiz is figuring out a
    way to convince someone of the outcome beyond the shadow of a doubt. Eric's own
    code convinced me, after we clarified my mistakes in the rules.

    Eric's code outputs a table of your moves compared with the opponent's moves.
    At each step, it tells you the move to make based on the following priorities:

    1. It suggests a forced win if it can find one
    2. It aims for draw if there is no forced win
    3. As a last resort, it will stall a loss as long as possible to increase
    the chances of your opponent making an error

    The first one is really the point of interest for this quiz. There's just not
    that many different hand positions in this game and a sufficiently deep search
    can find the wins. Here's the chart Eric's code shows for the game:

    01 02 03 04 11 12 13 14 22 23 24 33 34 44
    ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
    01: -1T1 -1T2 -1T3 +1T4 -1T1 -1T2 -1T1 +1T4 -1T2 -1T2 -1T4 -1T3 -1T4 -1T4
    02: +C11 -C11 +2T3 +2T4 +C11 -C11 +2T3 +2T4 -C11 +2T3 +2T4 -C11 -C11 -C11
    03: +C21 +3T2 +3T3 +3T4 -C21 +3T2 +3T3 +3T4 -C21 -C21 -C21 -C21 -C21 -C21
    04: +4T1 +4T2 +4T3 +4T4 +C31 +C22 C22 +C22 C22 +C22 C22 -C22 -C22 -C22
    11: +C02 +1T2 -1T3 +1T4 -1T1 +C02 -1T3 +1T4 C02 -1T2 -1T4 -1T3 +1T4 -1T4
    12: +C03 -2T2 +2T3 +2T4 +C03 +2T2 +2T3 +2T4 -1T2 +2T3 +2T4 -1T3 -2T3 -1T4
    13: +C22 +3T2 +3T3 +3T4 +3T1 +C22 +3T3 +1T4 C22 +C22 C22 -C22 3T3 1T4
    14: +4T1 +4T2 +4T3 +4T4 +C32 -C32 -C32 +C32 -C32 -4T3 -4T2 -1T3 -4T3 -1T4
    22: +C13 2T2 +2T3 +2T4 +C13 +2T2 +2T3 +2T4 2T2 +2T3 +2T4 +2T3 +2T4 2T4
    23: +2T1 +3T2 +3T3 +3T4 +3T1 +3T2 +3T3 +3T4 -3T2 +3T2 -3T2 +3T3 +3T4 -2T4
    24: +4T1 +4T2 +2T3 +2T4 +4T1 +4T2 +2T3 +2T4 2T2 +4T2 4T2 +4T3 +4T4 2T4
    33: +C24 +3T2 +3T3 +3T4 +3T1 +3T2 +3T3 +3T4 +3T2 +3T2 +3T4 +3T3 +3T4 +3T4
    34: +4T1 +4T2 +4T3 +4T4 +4T1 +4T2 +4T3 +4T4 +4T2 +4T3 +4T4 +4T3 +4T4 +4T4
    44: +4T1 +4T2 +4T3 +4T4 +4T1 +4T2 +4T3 +4T4 +4T2 +4T3 +4T4 +4T3 +4T4 +4T4

    Columns and rows are labeled in normalized hand positions, meaning that a left
    hand of one finger and a right hand of two fingers is the same as a left of two
    with a right of one.

    You find the row for your hands and cross reference it with the column of the
    opponent's hands. The cell where the two meet lists your best move, be it a
    touch or a clap. Don't worry too much about the format of those moves, but know
    this: a plus indicates that you have a forced win and a minus indicates that
    you face a forced loss.

    Using that knowledge you can look up the starting position at row 11, column 11.
    You will find a minus there telling you that your best move still leads to a
    forced loss. That's correct. The second player can always win a game of Magic
    Fingers.

    Now let's examine how the code reaches this conclusion. First, let's look at
    the class used to represent the current game state:

    class GameState
    attr_reader :hands

    def initialize(hands = [[1, 1], [1, 1]])
    @hands = hands
    end

    def do_turn(move)
    new_hands, description1, description2 =
    *move.call(@hands[0].dup, @hands[1].dup)
    [GameState.new([new_hands[1], new_hands[0]]),
    description1,
    description2]
    end

    def to_s
    result = ""
    @hands.each_index do |i|
    result << "#{i+1}: "
    result << '-' * (5 - @hands[0])
    result << '|' * @hands[0]
    result << ' '
    result << '|' * @hands[1]
    result << '-' * (5 - @hands[1])
    result << "\n"
    end
    result
    end

    def game_over?
    @hands[0][0] == 0 && @hands[0][1] == 0 ||
    @hands[1][0] == 0 && @hands[1][1] == 0
    end

    def score
    if @hands[0][0] == 0 && @hands[0][1] == 0 : -1
    elsif @hands[1][0] == 0 && @hands[1][1] == 0 : 1
    else 0
    end
    end

    def eql?(other)
    @hands == other.hands
    end

    def hash
    @hands[0][0] + 5 * @hands[0][1] + 25 * @hands[1][0] +
    125 * @hands[1][1]
    end
    end

    # ...

    Most of this class is very straightforward. A GameState is created by providing
    the current values of the two hands. You can then query the resulting object
    for a win, loss, or yet unknown score(), whether or not it is game_over?(), or a
    String representation of the hands. The class also defines eql?() and hash() in
    terms of the hand counts so these objects can be used as keys in a Hash.

    The only semi-involved method is do_turn(), which takes a Proc that will perform
    a move and uses that to create the resulting GameState object. You will see how
    this method is used when we get a little farther.

    Next we will look into generating possible moves:

    # ...

    HandNames = ["left hand", "right hand"]
    AllowClapsToZero = false

    def generate_touches
    result = []
    (0..1).each do |from_hand|
    (0..1).each do |to_hand|
    result << Proc.new do |player_hands, opponent_hands|
    raise "cannot touch from empty hand" if
    player_hands[from_hand] == 0
    raise "cannot touch to empty hand" if
    opponent_hands[to_hand] == 0
    description1 =
    "touches #{HandNames[from_hand]} to opponent's " +
    "#{HandNames[to_hand]}"
    description2 = "#{player_hands[from_hand]}T" +
    "#{opponent_hands[to_hand]}"
    opponent_hands[to_hand] += player_hands[from_hand]
    opponent_hands[to_hand] = 0 if opponent_hands[to_hand] >= 5
    [[player_hands, opponent_hands], description1, description2]
    end
    end
    end
    result
    end

    def generate_claps
    result = []
    (0..1).each do |from_hand|
    to_hand = 1 - from_hand
    (1..4).each do |fingers|
    result << Proc.new do |player_hands, opponent_hands|
    raise "do not have enough fingers on " +
    "#{HandNames[from_hand]}" unless
    player_hands[from_hand] >= fingers
    raise "#{HandNames[to_hand]} would end up with five or more " +
    "fingers" if
    !AllowClapsToZero && player_hands[to_hand] + fingers >= 5
    raise "cannot end up with same number combination after clap" if
    player_hands[from_hand] - fingers == player_hands[to_hand]
    description1 = "claps to transfer #{fingers} fingers from " +
    "#{HandNames[from_hand]} to #{HandNames[to_hand]}"
    player_hands[from_hand] -= fingers
    player_hands[to_hand] += fingers
    player_hands[to_hand] = 0 if player_hands[to_hand] >= 5
    description2 = "C#{player_hands[from_hand]}"+
    "#{player_hands[to_hand]}"
    [[player_hands, opponent_hands], description1, description2]
    end
    end
    end
    result
    end

    Moves = generate_claps + generate_touches

    # ...

    The main work here is in the two almost identical methods. They work by filling
    an Array with Proc objects that generate touch and clap moves when passed a pair
    of hands. These Procs return the new hands and descriptions of the move that
    are used in the chart we saw earlier. They also include a good deal of error
    handling to prevent illegal moves, as you can see. Finally the Moves constant
    is populated with the results of a call to each.

    This next method is the work horse of this solution. This is a recursive depth
    first search of the available moves. It limits the recursion, to keep things
    like draws from creating infinite loops, and memoizes GameState objects to keep
    from redoing work. Let's take it in slices:

    # ...

    Levels = 25
    Memo = Hash.new

    def pick_move(state, levels = Levels)
    return [state.score, nil, nil, nil] if levels <= 0 || state.game_over?

    memoed_move = Memo[state]
    if memoed_move && memoed_move[0] >= levels
    # use memoed values if levels used meets or exceeds my levels
    best_move = memoed_move[1]
    best_score = memoed_move[2]
    else
    # ...

    Right off the bat, we see the code that controls when recursion stops. As soon
    as the recursion limit is reached or a game is over, the code tosses a final
    score back up the stack.

    When that's not the case, the method moves into search mode. The first step is
    to check for a memoized answer that would short circuit the need to search at
    all. When we don't have that for the current position though, it's time to
    recurse:

    # ...

    # otherwise, calculate values recursively
    best_score = nil
    best_move = nil

    # try each of the possible moves on this state and generate an
    # array of the results of those choices
    move_choices = Moves.map do |move|
    begin
    # determine the new state if the chosen move is applied
    new_state, description1, description2 = *state.do_turn(move)

    # recursively determine the score for this move (i.e., this
    # state); negate the score returned since it's in terms of
    # opponent (i.e., a win for them is a loss for us)
    score = -pick_move(new_state, levels - 1)[0]

    # increment score (by shifting away from zero) in order to be
    # able to treat is as a count of the number of moves to a win
    # or a loss
    score += score / score.abs unless score.zero?

    [score, move, description1, description2]
    rescue Exception => e
    nil # the move was ilegal
    end
    end

    # ...

    Here we see the Array of Proc move generators and the do_turn() method of
    GameState come together. Each Proc is passed in one-at-a-time to generate the
    resulting GameState. Remember that those Procs toss Exceptions whenever an
    illegal move is found and this code uses a rescue clause to skip over such
    moves. The new state is then recursed into by pick_move() to fetch a resulting
    score. That score will be from the opponent's point of view, so it has to be
    negated to count for our point of view.

    When we have the moves, it's time to hunt for winners:

    # ...

    # remove nils that were generated by illegal moves
    move_choices = move_choices.select { |option| option }

    # select and sort only those with positive (i.e., winning scores)
    winning_choices = move_choices.
    select { |option| option[0] > 0 }.
    sort_by { |option| option[0] }

    unless winning_choices.empty?
    # if there's a winning option, choose the one that leads to a
    # with the least number of moves
    selected = winning_choices.first
    else
    # otherwise, choose a move that leads to a tie (preferable) or a
    # loss but in the greatest number of moves (to increase
    # opponent's opportunities to make a mistake)
    move_choices = move_choices.sort_by { |option| option[0] }
    if move_choices.last[0] == 0
    selected = move_choices.last
    else
    selected = move_choices.first
    end
    end

    best_score = selected[0]
    best_move = selected[1..3]

    # store the best move determined for future use
    Memo[state] = [levels, best_move, best_score]
    end

    [best_score] + best_move
    end

    # ...

    The first line is just a long-hand way to write move_choices.compact! and the
    second line filters the legal moves down to winning moves. If we have winning
    moves, the quickest kill is selected. Otherwise, the code checks draws and
    losses as I described earlier. At this point we finally know a best move and
    score. Those are memoized for future calls and passed back up the stack to the
    calling code.

    The next step is to put this method to work by handing it all possible hand
    combinations:

    # ...

    # Returns a string indicating win or loss depending on score.
    def score_symbol(score)
    if score > 0 : '+'
    elsif score < 0 : '-'
    else ' '
    end
    end

    # Calculate the best move given every finger combination, and store in
    # the results hash.
    results = Hash.new
    1.upto(4) do |left1|
    0.upto(left1) do |right1|
    key1 = "#{right1}#{left1}"
    results[key1] = Hash.new
    1.upto(4) do |left2|
    0.upto(left2) do |right2|
    state = GameState.new([[left1, right1], [left2, right2]])
    score, move, description1, description2 = *pick_move(state, 40)
    key2 = "#{right2}#{left2}"
    results[key1][key2] = score_symbol(score) + description2
    end
    end
    end
    end

    # ...

    This is just a brute force generation of positions, their scores, and the best
    moves to make in them. Everything shown in Eric's output is built here using
    the tools we have been examining.

    Speaking of that chart, drawing that is our last bit of code:

    # ...

    # display instructions
    puts <<EOS
    INSTRUCTIONS

    If it's your turn, select the row that describes your two hands. Then
    select the column that describes your opponent's two hands. The cell
    at the intersection will tell you how to move and what to expect.

    A leading "+" indicates there is a guaranteed way to win. A leading
    "-" tells you that if the opponent plays perfectly, you will lose. If
    neither of those symbols is present, then if you and your opponent
    play well, neither of you will ever win.

    The rest of the cell tells you what type of move to make. A "T"
    represents a touching move, telling you which finger of yours first to
    user first, and which finger of the opponent to touch. A "C"
    represents a clapping move, and it tells you the finger counts should
    end up with after the clap.

    EOS

    # display move strategy table
    line1 = " " + results.keys.sort.map { |key1| " #{key1}" }.join
    puts line1
    puts line1.gsub(/\ \ \d\d/, '----')
    results.keys.sort.each do |key1|
    print "#{key1}: ",
    results[key1].keys.sort.
    map { |key2| " #{results[key1] [key2]}" }.join,
    "\n"
    end

    This code is just boring print calls to display the chart. There shouldn't be
    anything surprising here.

    My thanks to the few brave souls that toughed out my surprisingly challenging
    problem. I didn't realize it would be so much work, but you guys made it look
    easy enough, as usual.

    Tomorrow we have a super easy code breaking problem so I want to see all you
    beginners playing!

    Ruby Quiz, Apr 19, 2007