    Do you guys think that the Java Sun Certification is usefull ?
    I mean, is it enough to begin working with Java or not ?

    Thanks
    Daniele, Mar 21, 2006

  2. Daniele

    Adam Maass Guest

    "Daniele" <> wrote:
    > Do you guys think that the Java Sun Certification is usefull ?
    > I mean, is it enough to begin working with Java or not ?

    Short answer:

    SCJP is worthless as a credential. SCJD is worth something, but IMHO would
    only merit "experience equivalent to about two years in the industry" if
    there were no other experience on the resume. The other Java certifications
    I don't have experience with.

    There is a chicken-and-the-egg problem with the certifications; so few
    people have them that nobody bothers asking for them. Because nobody asks
    for them, no-one bothers to obtain them. Knowledge of the Java platform and
    language is generally proved during a technical interview in other ways.

    -- Adam Maass
    Adam Maass, Mar 22, 2006

  3. Daniele

    Chris Smith Guest

    Daniele <> wrote:
    > Do you guys think that the Java Sun Certification is usefull ?
    > I mean, is it enough to begin working with Java or not ?

    I generally pay attention to it when hiring. It won't get you a senior-
    level position, though. Depends on what your goals are.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation
    Chris Smith, Mar 22, 2006
  4. Daniele

    Guest

    It depends what you define as useful. Maybe useful for learning but not
    so useful for getting a job.

    I found the Sun Certified Web Developer exam a good introduction to the
    JSPs and Servlets and it helped get me a job using that technology.
    However I found the SCJP tends to focus on the less useful and more
    cyptic parts of the language (inner classes etc).

    The value of certification really depends on the employer though.
    Experience will always be more valuable, although some employers will
    pay attention to any certification. However if you are having trouble
    getting the experience then it is better than nothing.
    , Mar 22, 2006
  5. Daniele

    Josh Falter Guest

    I found the SCJP exam to have alot of esoteric stuff on it that I don't
    personally use all that much. However, it is another notch on your
    resume that can set you apart from other folks when trying to get a
    job.

    The exams after that do carry more weight in terms of indicating your
    knowledge of the subject.
    Josh Falter, Mar 22, 2006
  6. On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:37:38 +0100, Daniele <> wrote:

    > Do you guys think that the Java Sun Certification is usefull ?
    > I mean, is it enough to begin working with Java or not ?
    >
    > Thanks

    Study for the SCJP will expose you to many aspects of the language
    you might otherwise skip and give you more confidence.

    Bill
    William Brogden, Mar 23, 2006
  7. Daniele

    Guest

    , Apr 18, 2006
  8. Daniele

    sssrrr

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    No value to Sun certification

    No, not at all.

    I have given interviews in Sun, where the managers laugh if you say you are
    Sun certified.

    Sun managers give no value to their own certification, why should the outside world?

    I am thinking of taking it out from my resume.
    sssrrr, Nov 3, 2006