Sun J2EE Tutorial Problem

Ray

I am running the first example Application Client (chapter 2) from the
J2EE 1.3 tutorial document from Sun and when I execute from the
command line I get the error below.

I am running j2sdk1.4.2_01 and j2sdkee1.3.1 on Redhat Linux 9.0.

The web client works fine but not the application client. I followed
the tutorial instruction carefully and did it several times with no
luck.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-Ray

Caught an unexpected exception!
javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: No object bound to name
java:comp/env/ejb/SimpleConverter
at com.sun.enterprise.naming.NamingManagerImpl.lookup(NamingManagerImpl.java:578)
at com.sun.enterprise.naming.java.javaURLContext.lookup(javaURLContext.java:90)
at ConverterClient.main(ConverterClient.java:21)
at com.sun.enterprise.util.Utility.invokeApplicationMain(Utility.java:229)
at com.sun.enterprise.appclient.Main.main(Main.java:155)

Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t

Date: 3 Oct 2003 15:34:17 -0700
(I see no reply, after more than 1.5 years, so I presume we're the only
two people who have ever tried to install this particular exmple from
the tutorial?)
From: (e-mail address removed) (Ray)
I am running the first example Application Client (chapter 2) from the
J2EE 1.3 tutorial document from Sun and when I execute from the
command line I get the error below.
The web client works fine but not the application client. I followed
the tutorial instruction carefully and did it several times with no
luck.
javax.naming.NameNotFoundException ...

I had the same problem, Web client fine, Application client that error.
Did you just give up on J2EE application clients, or find another
example that worked, or what?
In my case, it took about four hours to get the application configured
and deployed, and after all that effort I didn't want to go through it
all another time for another four hours with no idea what I did wrong
hence no idea what to do differently from the instructions. I did
however follow through what i had already done, comparing with the
instructions, to see if I made any little typo, especially
case-sensitive first letter which is very difficult to tell C from c in
that tiny font in the tutorial viewed on Netscape Communicator, the
only full browser available on this RedHat Linux with GNOME.
Also, it turns out that wasn't what our instructor wants us to do,
because we haven't gotten to EJBs yet in class. We're supposed to do a
non-EJB application first, and I'm stuck on that too (see another
article I'll be posting later tonight). So if that EJB thingy doesn't
work, nobody cares anyway.

Oh, if you're curious: I wanted to make sure I was posting to the
correct newsgroup, so I used Google Broken-Beta (crap, the India and UK
sites switched to this crappy new Google a week or so ago, so there's
no decent Google Groups service any more) to search for the topic, and
while verifying this newsgroup as appropriate I found your rather old
article which related to another problem I'm having, so here I am.

Ross Bamford

(I see no reply, after more than 1.5 years, so I presume we're the only
two people who have ever tried to install this particular exmple from
the tutorial?)

It's basically telling you to configure some resource (a datasource
maybe?). Or that some resource you have configured isn't configured
properly.
I had the same problem, Web client fine, Application client that error.
Did you just give up on J2EE application clients, or find another
example that worked, or what?

I'm sure there are hundreds of good tutorials available. Have you
already found www.theserverside.com ?
In my case, it took about four hours to get the application configured
and deployed, and after all that effort I didn't want to go through it
all another time for another four hours with no idea what I did wrong
hence no idea what to do differently from the instructions. I did
however follow through what i had already done, comparing with the
instructions, to see if I made any little typo, especially
case-sensitive first letter which is very difficult to tell C from c in

This isn't uncommon when you're learning J2EE. Worse, be ready for more
of the same once you've learnt it... You know what's wrong but nothing
seems to fix it.... Four hours sounds about right for a start :)
that tiny font in the tutorial viewed on Netscape Communicator, the
only full browser available on this RedHat Linux with GNOME.

<offtopic>
I'm sorry? If by 'full' you really mean 'graphical', I think the Firefox
guys would have an argument (All the Mozilla ppl come to think of it).
Then theres Opera 8, etc, etc, etc.

If you mean 'full featured' then just type 'lynx' (or 'links') into a
terminal. Also, try 'yum install firefox' if you have the bandwidth, or
check your distribution cd...
Also, it turns out that wasn't what our instructor wants us to do,
because we haven't gotten to EJBs yet in class. We're supposed to do a
non-EJB application first, and I'm stuck on that too (see another
article I'll be posting later tonight). So if that EJB thingy doesn't
work, nobody cares anyway.

They should make sure they make clear what they want you to do. A lot of
tutors I think make the mistake of believing that the only contact
you'll have with a subject will be orchestrated by them...

At the same time, you should force them to clearly state their
requirements at spec time.

Ross