Sun J2EE Tutorial Problem

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ray, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. Ray

    Ray Guest

    I am running the first example Application Client (chapter 2) from the
    J2EE 1.3 tutorial document from Sun and when I execute from the
    command line I get the error below.

    I am running j2sdk1.4.2_01 and j2sdkee1.3.1 on Redhat Linux 9.0.

    The web client works fine but not the application client. I followed
    the tutorial instruction carefully and did it several times with no
    luck.

    Any help is appreciated.

    Thanks,

    -Ray

    Caught an unexpected exception!
    javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: No object bound to name
    java:comp/env/ejb/SimpleConverter
    at com.sun.enterprise.naming.NamingManagerImpl.lookup(NamingManagerImpl.java:578)
    at com.sun.enterprise.naming.java.javaURLContext.lookup(javaURLContext.java:90)
    at ConverterClient.main(ConverterClient.java:21)
    at com.sun.enterprise.util.Utility.invokeApplicationMain(Utility.java:229)
    at com.sun.enterprise.appclient.Main.main(Main.java:155)
    Ray, Oct 3, 2003

  2. > Date: 3 Oct 2003 15:34:17 -0700
    (I see no reply, after more than 1.5 years, so I presume we're the only
    two people who have ever tried to install this particular exmple from
    the tutorial?)

    > From: (Ray)
    > I am running the first example Application Client (chapter 2) from the
    > J2EE 1.3 tutorial document from Sun and when I execute from the
    > command line I get the error below.
    > The web client works fine but not the application client. I followed
    > the tutorial instruction carefully and did it several times with no
    > luck.
    > javax.naming.NameNotFoundException ...

    I had the same problem, Web client fine, Application client that error.
    Did you just give up on J2EE application clients, or find another
    example that worked, or what?
    In my case, it took about four hours to get the application configured
    and deployed, and after all that effort I didn't want to go through it
    all another time for another four hours with no idea what I did wrong
    hence no idea what to do differently from the instructions. I did
    however follow through what i had already done, comparing with the
    instructions, to see if I made any little typo, especially
    case-sensitive first letter which is very difficult to tell C from c in
    that tiny font in the tutorial viewed on Netscape Communicator, the
    only full browser available on this RedHat Linux with GNOME.
    Also, it turns out that wasn't what our instructor wants us to do,
    because we haven't gotten to EJBs yet in class. We're supposed to do a
    non-EJB application first, and I'm stuck on that too (see another
    article I'll be posting later tonight). So if that EJB thingy doesn't
    work, nobody cares anyway.

    Oh, if you're curious: I wanted to make sure I was posting to the
    correct newsgroup, so I used Google Broken-Beta (crap, the India and UK
    sites switched to this crappy new Google a week or so ago, so there's
    no decent Google Groups service any more) to search for the topic, and
    while verifying this newsgroup as appropriate I found your rather old
    article which related to another problem I'm having, so here I am.
    Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t, May 15, 2005

  3. Ray

    Ross Bamford Guest

    On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 21:44 -0700, Robert Maas, see
    http://tinyurl.com/uh3t wrote:
    > > Date: 3 Oct 2003 15:34:17 -0700

    > (I see no reply, after more than 1.5 years, so I presume we're the only
    > two people who have ever tried to install this particular exmple from
    > the tutorial?)
    >
    > > From: (Ray)
    > > I am running the first example Application Client (chapter 2) from the
    > > J2EE 1.3 tutorial document from Sun and when I execute from the
    > > command line I get the error below.
    > > The web client works fine but not the application client. I followed
    > > the tutorial instruction carefully and did it several times with no
    > > luck.
    > > javax.naming.NameNotFoundException ...

    It's basically telling you to configure some resource (a datasource
    maybe?). Or that some resource you have configured isn't configured
    properly.

    > I had the same problem, Web client fine, Application client that error.
    > Did you just give up on J2EE application clients, or find another
    > example that worked, or what?

    I'm sure there are hundreds of good tutorials available. Have you
    already found www.theserverside.com ?

    > In my case, it took about four hours to get the application configured
    > and deployed, and after all that effort I didn't want to go through it
    > all another time for another four hours with no idea what I did wrong
    > hence no idea what to do differently from the instructions. I did
    > however follow through what i had already done, comparing with the
    > instructions, to see if I made any little typo, especially
    > case-sensitive first letter which is very difficult to tell C from c in

    This isn't uncommon when you're learning J2EE. Worse, be ready for more
    of the same once you've learnt it... You know what's wrong but nothing
    seems to fix it.... Four hours sounds about right for a start :)

    > that tiny font in the tutorial viewed on Netscape Communicator, the
    > only full browser available on this RedHat Linux with GNOME.

    <offtopic>
    I'm sorry? If by 'full' you really mean 'graphical', I think the Firefox
    guys would have an argument (All the Mozilla ppl come to think of it).
    Then theres Opera 8, etc, etc, etc.

    If you mean 'full featured' then just type 'lynx' (or 'links') into a
    terminal. Also, try 'yum install firefox' if you have the bandwidth, or
    check your distribution cd...
    </offtopic>

    > Also, it turns out that wasn't what our instructor wants us to do,
    > because we haven't gotten to EJBs yet in class. We're supposed to do a
    > non-EJB application first, and I'm stuck on that too (see another
    > article I'll be posting later tonight). So if that EJB thingy doesn't
    > work, nobody cares anyway.

    They should make sure they make clear what they want you to do. A lot of
    tutors I think make the mistake of believing that the only contact
    you'll have with a subject will be orchestrated by them...

    At the same time, you should force them to clearly state their
    requirements at spec time.

    Ross
    --
    [Ross A. Bamford] [ross AT the.website.domain]
    Roscopeco Open Tech ++ Open Source + Java + Apache + CMF
    Ross Bamford, May 15, 2005