SUN Java memo

Andrew Thompson

Developwebsites said:

Words to the effect of 'Java problems running under Solaris'

Just what _is_ the proportion of hardware running
Solaris? I do not actually know of any Solaris users,
though my site stats indicate they represent 0.07%*
of my visitors.

No wonder Sun did not fall over itself to fix the
glitches.

* Of course,
"There are lies, damned lies and _statistics_" ;-)

Andy Fish

IMHO java is fundamentally the right concept and this memo states several
times that problems are with the execution in particular environments.
Everyone knows there have been problems with areas such as memory management
but java will continue to get better and more compatible as it matures.

Java is in an incomparably better position than microsoft (pre-.Net) VB and
ASP which have fundamental issues so deep that MS have been forced to
abandon everything and move to a new framework. They have put this off for
too long and now they have the problem that the installed base of old
technology is so big that people are reluctant to abandon it. With java,
everyone knows they are building against a fundamentally stable standard so
things will only get better. If MS are lucky, .net will be in the same
position in 5 years that java is now.