Sun Java Sytem Web Server 7 on Windows Server 2003 64Bit Installation

Discussion in 'Java' started by Philipp Ringel, Jul 24, 2007.

  1. Hi everyone!

    sorry - this is kind of off-topic but i really need your help!

    I want to install the Java System Web Server 7 on a Windows Server 2003
    AMD64 Machine. But the installation quits during the configuration
    process throwing following exception:

    WARNING: C:\Program Files (x86)\Sun\WebServer7\lib\dllutil.dll: Can't
    load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform
    java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program Files
    (x86)\Sun\WebServer7\lib\dllutil.dll: Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD
    64-bit platform
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1751)
    at com.sun.web.admin.configurator.DllUtil.<clinit>(DllUtil.java:11)
    at
    com.sun.web.admin.configurator.ConfiguratorCLISupport.parseArgs(ConfiguratorCLISupport.java:52)
    at
    com.sun.web.admin.configurator.ConfigureServer.main(ConfigureServer.java:50)

    Yes of course i know, that the 64-Bit Version of Windows 2003 Server
    isn't officially supportet... :(
    but i was wondering, if there is a working workaround for this problem.

    Is there a possibility of running it using the WOW64 subsystem or
    telling WOW64 that running sjsws is a 32Bit Application manually?!

    Here are my detailed System Specifications:

    AMD Opteron 175, 2x2.20GHz Virtual Machine
    400MB RAM
    Operating System: Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition 64-Bit SP2
    Java(TM) SE Development Kit 6 Update 2 - Windows x64 Platform

    thanks in advance!
    -----------------------------------
    Detailed install log:

    Jul 23, 2007 7:25:14 PM
    com.sun.web.installer.web.actions.PostInstall_core install
    INFO: Start core server configuration
    Jul 23, 2007 7:25:14 PM
    com.sun.web.installer.web.actions.PostInstall_core install
    FINE: Initialized the variable in PostInstall_core install
    Jul 23, 2007 7:25:14 PM
    com.sun.web.installer.web.actions.PostInstall_core createScript
    FINE: Replacing C:\Program Files
    (x86)\Sun\WebServer7\lib/install/templates/scripts\configureServer.bat.template
    to C:\Program Files (x86)\Sun\WebServer7\setup\configureServer.bat...
    Jul 23, 2007 7:25:14 PM
    com.sun.web.installer.web.actions.PostInstall_core createScript
    FINE: ...done
    Jul 23, 2007 7:25:14 PM
    com.sun.web.installer.web.actions.PostInstall_core configureServer
    FINE: Successfully created the configurator script
    Jul 23, 2007 7:25:14 PM
    com.sun.web.installer.web.actions.PostInstall_core configureServer
    INFO: Successfully created the install.properties file to be used by the
    backend configurator
    Jul 23, 2007 7:25:15 PM com.sun.web.admin.configurator.ConfigureServer main
    WARNING: C:\Program Files (x86)\Sun\WebServer7\lib\dllutil.dll: Can't
    load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform
    java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program Files
    (x86)\Sun\WebServer7\lib\dllutil.dll: Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD
    64-bit platform
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1751)
    at com.sun.web.admin.configurator.DllUtil.<clinit>(DllUtil.java:11)
    at
    com.sun.web.admin.configurator.ConfiguratorCLISupport.parseArgs(ConfiguratorCLISupport.java:52)
    at
    com.sun.web.admin.configurator.ConfigureServer.main(ConfigureServer.java:50)
    Jul 23, 2007 7:25:15 PM
    com.sun.web.installer.web.actions.PostInstall_core configureServer
    WARNING: Error while executing the backend configurator
    Jul 23, 2007 7:25:15 PM
    com.sun.web.installer.web.actions.PostInstall_core configureServer
    INFO: The status returned from the backend is1
    Jul 23, 2007 7:25:15 PM
    com.sun.web.installer.web.actions.PostInstall_core install
    INFO: End core server configuration
    Jul 23, 2007 7:25:15 PM
    com.sun.web.installer.web.actions.PostInstall_core createInfFile
    INFO: Successfully created the install.inf file
    Jul 23, 2007 7:25:15 PM
    com.sun.web.installer.web.actions.PostInstall_core copyMsgJar
    INFO: Successfully copied the messages.jar file
    Jul 23, 2007 7:25:15 PM
    com.sun.web.installer.web.actions.PostInstall_core moveUninstaller
    INFO: Successfully moved the Uninstall class file to setup directory

    Philipp Ringel, Jul 24, 2007

  2. Philipp Ringel

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:02:34 +0200, Philipp Ringel <>

    >WARNING: C:\Program Files (x86)\Sun\WebServer7\lib\dllutil.dll: Can't
    >load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform
    >java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program Files

    sounds like you have the 32- bit dll on your path or library.path.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary

    Roedy Green, Jul 24, 2007

  3. Roedy Green schrieb:
    > On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:02:34 +0200, Philipp Ringel <>
    >
    >> WARNING: C:\Program Files (x86)\Sun\WebServer7\lib\dllutil.dll: Can't
    >> load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform
    >> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program Files

    > sounds like you have the 32- bit dll on your path or library.path.

    yes because unfortunately there is no 64-bit version if sjsws :(

    so i was wondering if it's possible to run the server in some sort of
    compatibility-mode - just like WOW64

    Philipp Ringel, Jul 24, 2007
  4. Philipp Ringel

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:21:54 +0200, Philipp Ringel <>

    >yes because unfortunately there is no 64-bit version if sjsws :(
    >
    >so i was wondering if it's possible to run the server in some sort of
    >compatibility-mode - just like WOW64

    The hardware support is there. I don't know however if 64-bit Vista
    supports 32-bit dlls, or where the 64-bit Java JVM is prepared to talk
    to them, other than via some JNI glue.

    I have seen comments that 64-bit vista requires 64-bit device drivers,
    but other comments that sometimes 32-bit drivers work.

    I guess this is all fairly new and shaky. It is not a big profit
    center for MS yet.

    Roedy Green, Jul 24, 2007
  5. Philipp Ringel

    virtuosity250

    Joined:
    May 21, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Philipp,

    On Vista64 I right-mouse-clicked on the setup.exe, set compatibility to win2k3, picked a 32bit JVM, and installation completed successfully. Switching to 64bit JVM after the install also broke, but this is satisfactory for a development environment.
    For 64bit a linux or solaris install is the only choice, at least for Sun Webserver 7 u5

    Regards,

    /\/\

    A late reply but Google ranks this at the top of results at this time.
    For ref, my Google search term: dllutil.dll 64bit

    virtuosity250, May 21, 2009