    Internet Application functionality. Seems they would have a big home
    run if they did?

    , Mar 7, 2008

  2. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Re: Sun/Java would win BIG if they included xml based RIA in JavaWeb Start (think Adobe Flex)

    wrote:
    > Adobe Flex is awesome for front ends -it is simple XML based GUI
    > design that make swing look like the stone ages. I keep wondering why
    > sun/java doesn't enhance Java Web Start to include XML based Rich
    > Internet Application functionality. Seems they would have a big home
    > run if they did?

    Nothing Java has done client side seems to have gotten much
    traction.

    GWT is probably the closest to a success.

    If you want XML base GUI then try look for a Java based XUL
    implementation.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Mar 8, 2008

  3. Re: Sun/Java would win BIG if they included xml based RIA in Java Web Start (think Adobe Flex)

    Hi,

    > Adobe Flex is awesome for front ends

    Agreed!

    > it is simple XML based GUI design

    Here I believe you do Adobe a huge disservice. Flex places *no* restrictions
    on the source of the data that will appear in the GUI, or on the delivery
    format of that data. Certainly, "XML delivered by a http-server" would be
    the most popular and arguably the "easiest" dataProvider population
    mechanism but, unlike Microsoft's one-size-fits-all with Silverlight-Ajax,
    there are many and varied alternatives available in the mxml and
    ActionScript toolkits.

    Personally, I'm currently looking at using a Java Applet (embedded on the
    same html page as the SWF) that takes up no real-estate on the GUI yet
    exposes Java's very useful TCP/IP Socket interface for server data
    retrieval. (RMI or any other Java middleware would also obviously work).
    Now Flex has its own reasonably useful and native Socket interface, but it
    doesn't surface a connection-timeout method or support OOB data or UDP, so
    I'll stick with Java for now and skip the additional layer of abstraction.
    (I plan to use the FABridge mechanism for communication and cross-language
    method invocation between JavaScript and ActionScript.)

    > I keep wondering why
    > sun/java doesn't enhance Java Web Start to include XML based Rich
    > Internet Application functionality.

    I thought that's what JavaFX was for? (Although I haven't heard anything
    about it since it was announced.) I'm interested in hearing what others,
    more knowledgeable about Java, have to say but IMHO Flex is years ahead of
    the pack, and then there's its stable-mate Flash and it runs pretty much
    anywhere and it's server-agnostic (although does push data-services with
    some outrageous claim of keeping all clients in synch).

    > Seems they would have a big home
    > run if they did?

    Seems like the horse has bolted? (As of last month Flex is also open source
    I believe)

    Cheers Richard Maher

    PS. Is the only difference between resultFormat XML and e4x that the later
    is specifically for RSS? Or one returns XML and the other an XMLList object?

    PPS. Don't forget you can also call your Java SOAP web Services directly
    from Flex. Compared to Perl or PHP how hard can it be :)

    Richard Maher, Mar 8, 2008