    developer tools. Specifically, they are charged with bringing JRuby to
    1.0 status.
    http://www.adtmag.com/article.aspx?id=19265

    zoat, Sep 25, 2006

  2. zoat

    Zed A. Shaw Guest

    On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:10:11 +0900
    "zoat" <> wrote:

    > Sun Microsystems announced last week that Charles Nutter and Thomas
    > Enebo, the chief maintainers of JRuby, are joining the company as
    > full-time employees. Nutter and Enebo are set to spend all their time
    > working on the open-source JRuby project, with a particular focus on
    > developer tools. Specifically, they are charged with bringing JRuby to
    > 1.0 status.
    > http://www.adtmag.com/article.aspx?id=19265

    Don't you mean 1.0 Enterprise Edition 2.3 Excelsior status? I think you're missing a few project code names too.

    http://www.zedshaw.com/
    http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/

    Zed A. Shaw, Sep 25, 2006

  3. I've read Charles' posts many times. The JRuby project is pretty cool.
    Wish I had the chops to put something like that together. Congrats.

    --
    Giles Bowkett
    http://www.gilesgoatboy.org

    Giles Bowkett, Sep 25, 2006
  4. zoat

    Zed A. Shaw Guest

    On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 18:27:42 +0900
    "Giles Bowkett" <> wrote:

    > I've read Charles' posts many times. The JRuby project is pretty cool.
    > Wish I had the chops to put something like that together. Congrats.

    Oh yeah, for sureness JRuby is very cool. If you actually are interested in learning how to do this then check out:

    http://www.amazon.com/Building-Pars...id=1159177289/ref=sr_1_17/102-2347842-4438503

    and

    http://www.amazon.com/Programming-L...=pd_bxgy_b_text_b/102-2347842-4438503?ie=UTF8

    Both are very soft introductions to making full parsers and languages to run on the JVM.

    But c'mon, you just *know* Sun is gonna slap a few extra version numbers on that thing and push it to the Enterprise crowd. They can't resist. It's in their nature and for whatever reason sells things like meth hotcakes for them.

    http://www.zedshaw.com/
    http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/

    Zed A. Shaw, Sep 25, 2006
  5. zoat

    Ola Bini Guest

    Zed A. Shaw wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 18:27:42 +0900
    > "Giles Bowkett" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've read Charles' posts many times. The JRuby project is pretty cool.
    >> Wish I had the chops to put something like that together. Congrats.
    >>

    > Oh yeah, for sureness JRuby is very cool. If you actually are interested in learning how to do this then check out:
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/Building-Pars...id=1159177289/ref=sr_1_17/102-2347842-4438503
    >
    > and
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/Programming-L...=pd_bxgy_b_text_b/102-2347842-4438503?ie=UTF8
    >
    > Both are very soft introductions to making full parsers and languages to run on the JVM.

    I don't agree about those books, actually. I didn't like them and I
    don't think you'll learn that much from them. My recommendation is the
    Dragon book. (Compilers - Principles, Techniques and Tools)

    > But c'mon, you just *know* Sun is gonna slap a few extra version numbers on that thing and push it to the Enterprise crowd. They can't resist. It's in their nature and for whatever reason sells things like meth hotcakes for them.

    Incidentally, you may be right if it was JRuby and not just the two core
    developers that were hired. As of now, Sun has declared that the JRuby
    project will continue unhindered, and the JRuby community will continue
    to have their say. (I would definitely not like extra version numbers
    like this, for example...)

    --
    Ola Bini (http://ola-bini.blogspot.com)
    JvYAML, RbYAML, JRuby and Jatha contributor

    Ola Bini, Sep 25, 2006
  6. zoat

    Zed A. Shaw Guest

    On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:20:23 +0900
    Ola Bini <> wrote:

    > Zed A. Shaw wrote:
    > > But c'mon, you just *know* Sun is gonna slap a few extra version numbers on that thing and push it to the Enterprise crowd. They can't resist. It's in their nature and for whatever reason sells things like meth hotcakes for them.
    > >

    > Incidentally, you may be right if it was JRuby and not just the two core
    > developers that were hired. As of now, Sun has declared that the JRuby
    > project will continue unhindered, and the JRuby community will continue
    > to have their say. (I would definitely not like extra version numbers
    > like this, for example...)

    Oh well, either I'm losing my touch at being funny or it's against corporate policy.

    http://www.zedshaw.com/
    http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/

    Zed A. Shaw, Sep 25, 2006
  7. On 25 Sep 2006, at 11:20, Ola Bini wrote:
    > Zed A. Shaw wrote:
    >> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 18:27:42 +0900
    >> "Giles Bowkett" <> wrote:
    >>> I've read Charles' posts many times. The JRuby project is pretty
    >>> cool.
    >>> Wish I had the chops to put something like that together. Congrats.
    >>>

    >> Oh yeah, for sureness JRuby is very cool. If you actually are
    >> interested in learning how to do this then check out:
    >> http://www.amazon.com/Building-Parsers-Java-Steven-Metsker/dp/
    >> 0201719622/sr=8-17/qid=1159177289/ref=sr_1_17/102-2347842-4438503
    >> and
    >> http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Language-Processors-Java-
    >> Interpreters/dp/0130257869/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b/
    >> 102-2347842-4438503?ie=UTF8
    >> Both are very soft introductions to making full parsers and
    >> languages to run on the JVM.

    > I don't agree about those books, actually. I didn't like them and I
    > don't think you'll learn that much from them. My recommendation is
    > the Dragon book. (Compilers - Principles, Techniques and Tools)

    Another very good book on interpreters is http://www.amazon.com/
    Programming-Languages-Interpreter-based-Samuel-Kamin/dp/0201068249/
    ref=sr_11_1/026-5047787-0958832?ie=UTF8 although the examples are all
    written in pascal...

    Ellie

    Eleanor McHugh
    Games With Brains
    ----

    Eleanor McHugh, Sep 25, 2006
  8. zoat

    Tom Copeland Guest

    Tom Copeland, Sep 25, 2006
  9. zoat

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Sep 25, 2006, at 4:33 AM, Eleanor McHugh wrote:

    > Another very good book on interpreters is http://www.amazon.com/
    > Programming-Languages-Interpreter-based-Samuel-Kamin/dp/0201068249/
    > ref=sr_11_1/026-5047787-0958832?ie=UTF8 although the examples are
    > all written in pascal...

    Seconded. Kamin's is a very good book.

    I'm also a huge fan of Wirth's Compiler Construction book. 130 pages
    of condensed brilliance and lucidity... Screw all those others! This
    one is free:

    http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/WirthPubl/CBEAll.pdf

    Ryan Davis, Sep 25, 2006