Sun to host Online Live Q/A Conference on Java Application Deployment (WebStart) tmrw March 1st(Boyc

vin

Some of you are familiar with limits of applets. Web start (JNLP)
allows for a more of a rich user interface then what we can do w/
Applets and DHTML. But deploying Java, applets and applications over
the internet can be a challenge, including security warnings for
registered applications and installation of current version of java by
non-computer savvy users of our applications (can your father in law
install and launch a WebStart application?)
The lead of Sun's Java deployment team and usability experts (Mike
Albers -J2SE UI expert will be there hopefully) will answer your
questions at 11 AM California time and guide you. Here are the details
of how to participate for FREE:
http://java.sun.com/developer/community/chat

Above link should be enough.
More?
Some people are *boycotting* the chat conference because of issues
since about 2001(it appears that a individuals at Sun believe that they
should PERVENT deployment - that they are doing us a favor, listed
here:
http://lopica.sourceforge.net/faq.html

One important issue was picked up here (Scary screen for registered
applications)
http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=315&tstart=0
Sun's stance is that it's RFE and will not address it with wide
deployment of Java 6 (aka Mustang) in 2007, and not on JRE 1.4.x
updates, and will not do word smiting to clarify the application is
registered.
Another issue is deploying/update Java by corporate end users at
organizations that have a LAN admin.

Sample "applets" sites:
http://www.sandrasf.com/sites
One example of RiA is (click to run it)
http://www.blogbridge.com/install/weekly/blogbridge.jnlp

MacroMedia and MS Longhorn also have RiA kits, you can read this as
intro to RiA:
http://www.theserverside.com/articles/article.tss?l=RiA
RiA will be major part of SoA - Services.
Server side Java will be limited w/o Client Side Java.

You want to hear deployment answers from Sun people in charge? OK,
tmrw. 11AM CA time (2PM? NY time)

..V