Sun's installation guys

Craig

I just downloaded the JDK 1.5 beta Windows installer based package.
When are those brain dead bums going to stop using that piece of crap.
I can't get it to install. The stupid thing requires so much space on
the OS drive it fails. I have used installshield and it is a piece of
crap too but I can't believe that the script writers are dumb enough to
fail to pick up from the installer that you want it ALL installed to
another drive! 47 megs over copper lines and it won't install, man am I
pissed!

Craig

Liz

Craig said:
I just downloaded the JDK 1.5 beta Windows installer based package.
When are those brain dead bums going to stop using that piece of crap.
I can't get it to install. The stupid thing requires so much space on
the OS drive it fails. I have used installshield and it is a piece of
crap too but I can't believe that the script writers are dumb enough to
fail to pick up from the installer that you want it ALL installed to
another drive! 47 megs over copper lines and it won't install, man am I
pissed!

Craig

Sun has so many customers that they surely don't want them to be all upset.
I didn't do 1.5 cuz it is only beta, but 1.4 was fine for me install wise.

Larry Barowski

Craig said:
I just downloaded the JDK 1.5 beta Windows installer based package.
When are those brain dead bums going to stop using that piece of crap.
I can't get it to install. The stupid thing requires so much space on
the OS drive it fails. I have used installshield and it is a piece of
crap too but I can't believe that the script writers are dumb enough to
fail to pick up from the installer that you want it ALL installed to
another drive! 47 megs over copper lines and it won't install, man am I
pissed!

Have you moved your temp directory to the drive with
more space?

Thomas G. Marshall

Craig said:
I just downloaded the JDK 1.5 beta Windows installer based package.
When are those brain dead bums going to stop using that piece of crap.
I can't get it to install. The stupid thing requires so much space on
the OS drive it fails. I have used installshield and it is a piece of
crap too but I can't believe that the script writers are dumb enough
to fail to pick up from the installer that you want it ALL installed
to another drive! 47 megs over copper lines and it won't install, man
am I pissed!

Craig

No issues with 1.5.0b on my end...

Craig

Larry said:
Have you moved your temp directory to the drive with
more space?

Yep. The Temp & TMP variables point to a directory on a drive with 20
gigs of free space. I never had any trouble installing 1.4.
Whats happening is even after you tell the installer to put it all
somewhere else it still thinks it needs 106 MB on C: Someone goofed in
the installer script which I can understand but not excuse.
Installshield is not easy to work with even for experienced programmers!
I'll fire something off to Sun and see what shakes loose.
The problem stems from the way I set up development machines and the
fact I restrict the OS partition to around a Gig. It wouldn't cause any
trouble if it were not for MS thinking everyone has one partition C:
that has everything on it. Learned our lesson on that one years ago!

Craig

Craig

Liz said:
Sun has so many customers that they surely don't want them to be all upset.
I didn't do 1.5 cuz it is only beta, but 1.4 was fine for me install wise.
Theres a lot new in 1.5 so I wanted to get the drop on it a bit earlier.
Guess I'll have to read docs and find another machine to install it on.

Craig