Sun's open road

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ramon F Herrera, Mar 19, 2007.

    1. Advertising

  1. __/ [ Ramon F Herrera ] on Monday 19 March 2007 21:59 \__

    http://news.com.com/Gosling looks down Suns open road/2008-7344_3-6168505.html?tag=nefd.lede

    > http://tinyurl.com/2n5j34

    http://news.com.com/Sun hires Debian Linux founder/2100-7344_3-6168567.html?tag=nefd.top

    Yes, they have chosen the free open source route. They need to survive.

    --
    ~~ Best wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz
    10:20pm up 8 days 6:23, 8 users, load average: 0.96, 1.15, 0.77
    Roy Schestowitz, Mar 19, 2007

  2. "Ramon F Herrera" <> wrote in message

    > http://tinyurl.com/2js59p
    > http://news.com.com/Gosling looks down Suns open road/2008-7344_3-6168505.html?tag=nefd.lede

    This says a lot about the "open source community":

    Gosling: For the longest time, all of the source code for Java has been
    available
    to everyone. And until recently it came with a license that said: "The
    source is
    open but you can't redistribute the results of any of your changes
    without
    passing the test suite." We got a lot of flak from the open-source
    community
    about that.

    "Tests? Tests? We don't need no stinking tests!"
    Mike Schilling, Mar 20, 2007