Supercomputing: An Industry in Need of a Revolution

Discussion in 'C++' started by Mentifex, Nov 21, 2011.

  1. Mentifex

    Mentifex Guest

    Bartosz Milewski in his Programming Cafe weblog
    proclaims that supercomputing nowadays is
    "tedious, uninspiring, and boring" in the same way
    that working at Microsoft is now so profit-driven
    and boring that "there is an underground pipeline
    from Microsoft to Google through which the talent
    keeps leaking out."

    Milewski says that "not everything is bleak in
    the land of supercomputers" and he mentions
    the Chapel Parallel Programming Language at
    http://chapel.cray.com and the STE||AR Group at
    http://stellar.cct.lsu.edu for Systems for "Technologies,
    Emergent Parallelism, and Algorithms Research."

    http://bartoszmilewski.wordpress.com/2011/11/21/supercomputing-an-industry-in-need-of-a-revolution
    is the blogpost by Milewski which has already
    gone viral via Reddit and is prompting responses
    like my idea that Artificial Intelligence for the
    http://code.google.com/p/mindforth/wiki/SuperComputer
    is the Grand Challenge that will bring back the
    quondam excitement from the days of Seymour Cray
    and the late, great early days of Microsoft.

    Mentifex (Arthur)
    --
    http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/AiMind.html
    http://www.chatbots.org/ai_zone/viewthread/240/
    Mentifex, Nov 21, 2011

  2. Mentifex

    Robert Myers Guest

    On 21 nov, 14:06, Mentifex <> wrote:
    > Bartosz Milewski in his Programming Cafe weblog
    > proclaims that supercomputing nowadays is
    > "tedious, uninspiring, and boring" in the same way
    > that working at Microsoft is now so profit-driven
    > and boring that "there is an underground pipeline
    > from Microsoft to Google through which the talent
    > keeps leaking out."
    >
    > Milewski says that "not everything is bleak in
    > the land of supercomputers" and he mentions
    > the Chapel Parallel Programming Language athttp://chapel.cray.comand  the STE||AR Group athttp://stellar.cct.lsu.edufor Systems for "Technologies,
    > Emergent Parallelism, and Algorithms Research."
    >
    > http://bartoszmilewski.wordpress.com/2011/11/21/supercomputing-an-ind...
    > is the blogpost by Milewski which has already
    > gone viral via Reddit and is prompting responses
    > like my idea that Artificial Intelligence for thehttp://code.google.com/p/mindforth/wiki/SuperComputer
    > is the Grand Challenge that will bring back the
    > quondam excitement from the days of Seymour Cray
    > and the late, great early days of Microsoft.

    I propose that we ban the DoE or its contractors from releasing color
    plots for publication. Then it will become transparent that they're
    not doing anything useful. That should free up money to build a real
    supercomputer.

    Robert.
    Robert Myers, Nov 23, 2011