Superimposed Text

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Nehmo Sergheyev, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. Using IE6 viewing this (not my) page
    http://www.sunlifesunrooms.com/products/four-seasons/chart.htm
    I see text superimposed on text in the fourth and fifth yellow
    background cells.

    If I save the page locally and then view in Dreamweaver MX 2004, design
    view of the document window, I don't see the text superimposed over
    text. But if I preview in browser, which is IE6, I again see the
    superimposed text.

    And if I view the locally saved page with Front Page 2003 in Design or
    Preview, I see the superimposed text.

    This is the code of one of the cells:

    <TD bgColor=#ffff90 colSpan=11><B><FONT face=Arial size=2>Four Seasons
    MC<SUP>2</SUP> WonderGlass</FONT><SPAN
    style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: super; LINE-HEIGHT: 0px"><FONT
    face=Verdana,Arial
    size=1>TM</FONT></SPAN><FONT face=Arial size=2> [ E =
    MC<SUP>2</SUP> ]</B>
    [Energy efficiency = Multi Coat Double Glazed Glass] Double Glazed
    with
    Argon Gas Filling and Dual Seal Silicone with PIB Primary Seal
    <FONT
    face=Arial size=1>Proprietary advanced technology multiple
    coatings with
    such exotic metals as titanium and silver are applied. Corners are
    bent to
    be air/gas tight. Superior construction assures long term
    durability.
    </FONT></FONT></TD>

    Did the designer do something wrong? What caused the text to be
    superimposed over the other text? Is this just a problem with my browser
    and FP too?

    Finally, is there any reliable way to *deliberately* superimpose text
    over other text? That is, without rendering one piece of text as an
    image?

    --
    *********************
    * Nehmo Sergheyev *
    Nehmo Sergheyev, Jan 27, 2004

  2. It's the trademark I believe. Dump the entire <span style="line-height: 0px;
    and replace it with ™ this is the code for a trademark symbol.

    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick
    Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Jan 27, 2004

  3. Nehmo Sergheyev

    Richard Guest

    Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

    > Using IE6 viewing this (not my) page
    > http://www.sunlifesunrooms.com/products/four-seasons/chart.htm
    > I see text superimposed on text in the fourth and fifth yellow
    > background cells.

    It's not the browser fault, but that of the writer in attempting to make
    something look fancy.

    LINE-HEIGHT: 0px

    What's wrong with this idea? If a line has no height, where can the text go?
    Perhaps he wanted to use 40px but didn't check his typing that closely.
    Try other height's and see what happens.
    Richard, Jan 27, 2004
  4. - Nehmo -
    > > Using IE6 viewing this (not my) page
    > > http://www.sunlifesunrooms.com/products/four-seasons/chart.htm
    > > I see text superimposed on text in the fourth and fifth yellow
    > > background cells.

    - Richard -
    > It's not the browser fault, but that of the writer in attempting to

    make
    > something look fancy.
    >
    > LINE-HEIGHT: 0px
    >
    > What's wrong with this idea? If a line has no height, where can the

    text go?
    > Perhaps he wanted to use 40px but didn't check his typing that

    closely.
    > Try other height's and see what happens.

    - Nehmo -
    When I eliminate the entire span tag,
    <SPAN style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: super; LINE-HEIGHT: 0px"> ,
    it works the way the author intended.

    Interesting. I wonder if this peculiarity can be used.
    I got a page at http://home.kc.rr.com/plumb/SasciiBW.html

    I'm going to see if I can superimpose some more text on it, keeping the
    existing text as a background.

    --
    *********************
    * Nehmo Sergheyev *
    Nehmo Sergheyev, Jan 27, 2004
  5. - Mark Fitzpatrick -
    > It's the trademark I believe.

    - Nehmo -
    Maybe your're right in that's it's deliberate. I notice something
    similar with the TM on another page of the site:
    http://www.sunlifesunrooms.com/products/four-seasons/compare.htm

    - Mark Fitzpatrick -
    > Dump the entire <span style="line-height: 0px;
    > vertical-align: super"><font FACE="Verdana,Arial"

    size="1">TM</font></span>
    > and replace it with ™ this is the code for a trademark

    symbol.

    - Nehmo -
    Well, that's right.

    I notice the author didn't use ™

    --
    *********************
    * Nehmo Sergheyev *
    Nehmo Sergheyev, Jan 27, 2004
  6. Nehmo Sergheyev

    Rob Duval Guest

    interesting...it formats correctly in netscape, regardless of browser
    window size. ie shows the super-imposed text that you describe.

    as posted elsewhere in this thread, looks to probably be the TM being
    super-scripted.

    strange...

    Rob Duval, Jan 28, 2004
  7. "Mark Fitzpatrick" <> skrev i melding
    > "Nehmo Sergheyev" <> wrote in message
    > > Using IE6 viewing this (not my) page
    > > http://www.sunlifesunrooms.com/products/four-seasons/chart.htm
    > > I see text superimposed on text in the fourth and fifth yellow
    > > background cells.
    > >
    > > If I save the page locally and then view in Dreamweaver MX 2004, design
    > > view of the document window, I don't see the text superimposed over
    > > text. But if I preview in browser, which is IE6, I again see the
    > > superimposed text.
    > >
    > > And if I view the locally saved page with Front Page 2003 in Design or
    > > Preview, I see the superimposed text.
    > >
    > > This is the code of one of the cells:
    > >
    > > <TD bgColor=#ffff90 colSpan=11><B><FONT face=Arial size=2>Four Seasons
    > > MC<SUP>2</SUP> WonderGlass</FONT><SPAN
    > > style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: super; LINE-HEIGHT: 0px"><FONT
    > > face=Verdana,Arial
    > > size=1>TM</FONT></SPAN><FONT face=Arial size=2> [ E =
    > > MC<SUP>2</SUP> ]</B>
    > > [Energy efficiency = Multi Coat Double Glazed Glass] Double Glazed
    > > with
    > > Argon Gas Filling and Dual Seal Silicone with PIB Primary Seal
    > > <FONT
    > > face=Arial size=1>Proprietary advanced technology multiple
    > > coatings with
    > > such exotic metals as titanium and silver are applied. Corners are
    > > bent to
    > > be air/gas tight. Superior construction assures long term
    > > durability.
    > > </FONT></FONT></TD>
    > >
    > > Did the designer do something wrong? What caused the text to be
    > > superimposed over the other text? Is this just a problem with my browser
    > > and FP too?
    > >
    > > Finally, is there any reliable way to *deliberately* superimpose text
    > > over other text? That is, without rendering one piece of text as an
    > > image?
    > >

    > It's the trademark I believe. Dump the entire <span style="line-height:

    0px;
    > vertical-align: super"><font FACE="Verdana,Arial"

    size="1">TM</font></span>
    > and replace it with ™ this is the code for a trademark symbol.

    Better yet, use &trade; instead. Much easier to remember. Also, for the
    <sup>2</sup>, you can use &sup2;. Both are in the W3C recommendation for
    HTML 4.0 (meaning, it's not just certain browsers).

    List of entities, if you like the geek talk:
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml/entities.html

    Without too much geek talk (same list, easier to read):
    http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_entitiesref.asp

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -