Superimposed Text

Nehmo Sergheyev

Using IE6 viewing this (not my) page
http://www.sunlifesunrooms.com/products/four-seasons/chart.htm
I see text superimposed on text in the fourth and fifth yellow
background cells.

If I save the page locally and then view in Dreamweaver MX 2004, design
view of the document window, I don't see the text superimposed over
text. But if I preview in browser, which is IE6, I again see the
superimposed text.

And if I view the locally saved page with Front Page 2003 in Design or
Preview, I see the superimposed text.

This is the code of one of the cells:

<TD bgColor=#ffff90 colSpan=11><B><FONT face=Arial size=2>Four Seasons
MC<SUP>2</SUP> WonderGlass</FONT><SPAN
style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: super; LINE-HEIGHT: 0px"><FONT
face=Verdana,Arial
size=1>TM</FONT></SPAN><FONT face=Arial size=2> [ E =
MC<SUP>2</SUP> ]</B>
[Energy efficiency = Multi Coat Double Glazed Glass] Double Glazed
with
Argon Gas Filling and Dual Seal Silicone with PIB Primary Seal
<FONT
face=Arial size=1>Proprietary advanced technology multiple
coatings with
such exotic metals as titanium and silver are applied. Corners are
bent to
be air/gas tight. Superior construction assures long term
durability.
</FONT></FONT></TD>

Did the designer do something wrong? What caused the text to be
superimposed over the other text? Is this just a problem with my browser
and FP too?

Finally, is there any reliable way to *deliberately* superimpose text
over other text? That is, without rendering one piece of text as an
image?

Mark Fitzpatrick

It's the trademark I believe. Dump the entire <span style="line-height: 0px;
and replace it with ™ this is the code for a trademark symbol.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Richard

Nehmo said:
Using IE6 viewing this (not my) page
http://www.sunlifesunrooms.com/products/four-seasons/chart.htm
I see text superimposed on text in the fourth and fifth yellow
background cells.

It's not the browser fault, but that of the writer in attempting to make
something look fancy.

LINE-HEIGHT: 0px

What's wrong with this idea? If a line has no height, where can the text go?
Perhaps he wanted to use 40px but didn't check his typing that closely.
Try other height's and see what happens.

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Nehmo -
- Richard -
It's not the browser fault, but that of the writer in attempting to make
something look fancy.

LINE-HEIGHT: 0px

What's wrong with this idea? If a line has no height, where can the text go?
Perhaps he wanted to use 40px but didn't check his typing that closely.
Try other height's and see what happens.

- Nehmo -
When I eliminate the entire span tag,
<SPAN style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: super; LINE-HEIGHT: 0px"> ,
it works the way the author intended.

Interesting. I wonder if this peculiarity can be used.
I got a page at http://home.kc.rr.com/plumb/SasciiBW.html

I'm going to see if I can superimpose some more text on it, keeping the
existing text as a background.

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Mark Fitzpatrick -
It's the trademark I believe.

- Nehmo -
Maybe your're right in that's it's deliberate. I notice something
similar with the TM on another page of the site:
http://www.sunlifesunrooms.com/products/four-seasons/compare.htm

- Mark Fitzpatrick -
Dump the entire <span style="line-height: 0px;
vertical-align: super"><font FACE="Verdana,Arial"
size="1">TM said:
and replace it with ™ this is the code for a trademark
symbol.

- Nehmo -
Well, that's right.

I notice the author didn't use ™

Rob Duval

interesting...it formats correctly in netscape, regardless of browser
window size. ie shows the super-imposed text that you describe.

as posted elsewhere in this thread, looks to probably be the TM being
super-scripted.

strange...

Kim André Akerø

size="1">TM said:
and replace it with ™ this is the code for a trademark symbol.

Better yet, use &trade; instead. Much easier to remember. Also, for the
<sup>2</sup>, you can use &sup2;. Both are in the W3C recommendation for
HTML 4.0 (meaning, it's not just certain browsers).

List of entities, if you like the geek talk:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml/entities.html

Without too much geek talk (same list, easier to read):
http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_entitiesref.asp