support for ordering records in rails

Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions GmbH)

Hi,

I'm just doing my first steps with ruby and rails. I wonder if there is
some buildin support to order records. I'm reading
http://rails.homelinux.org/ and ask myself how I could turn the the todo
project into a priority list.

In the database I would introduce a integer field 'ordering' by which I
would order the tasks. In the task list I would ne 'up' and 'down'
buttons to change the ordering.

Could somebody tell me on how to solve such a problem in rails? I need
no code, only the key ideas and concepts.

regards,
Achim

Andreas Schwarz

Achim said:
Hi,

I'm just doing my first steps with ruby and rails. I wonder if there is
some buildin support to order records. I'm reading
http://rails.homelinux.org/ and ask myself how I could turn the the todo
project into a priority list.

In the database I would introduce a integer field 'ordering' by which I
would order the tasks. In the task list I would ne 'up' and 'down'
buttons to change the ordering.

Could somebody tell me on how to solve such a problem in rails? I need
no code, only the key ideas and concepts.

ActiveRecord::Acts::List
ActiveRecord::Base::find