    C99 and that it still isn't exactly the same as the C99 VLA.

    thanks,
    -Ben

    Ben Hinkle, Dec 13, 2005

  2. Ben Hinkle

    P.J. Plauger Guest

    "Ben Hinkle" <> wrote in message
    news:dnn7qg$2lr$...

    >I checked the FAQ but didn't see any mention of C99 support in today's
    >compilers. In particular I'm interested in VLA support. Any links or info
    >about the status? I read that GCC had experimental VLA support since before
    >C99 and that it still isn't exactly the same as the C99 VLA.

    Comeau C/C++ has full C99 support, including VLAs. So does
    the latest compiler from Sun, which is now free. Otherwise,
    any compiler that uses the EDG front end (such as Comeau)
    should support VLAs.

    P.J. Plauger
    Dinkumware, Ltd.
    http://www.dinkumware.com

    P.J. Plauger, Dec 13, 2005

  3. Ben Hinkle

    Chuck F. Guest

    Ben Hinkle wrote:

    > I checked the FAQ but didn't see any mention of C99 support in
    > today's compilers. In particular I'm interested in VLA support.
    > Any links or info about the status? I read that GCC had
    > experimental VLA support since before C99 and that it still isn't
    > exactly the same as the C99 VLA.

    Hunt down the gnu home page for gcc (unsure about URL). They
    maintain a page specifying the degree of C99 compliance achieved,
    with details.

    --
    Read about the Sony stealthware that is a security leak, phones
    home, and is generally illegal in most parts of the world. Also

    Chuck F., Dec 13, 2005

    Googling gcc c99 status yields <http://gcc.gnu.org/c99status.html>.

    Keith Thompson, Dec 14, 2005
  5. Keith Thompson wrote:

    > "Chuck F. " <> writes:
    > > Ben Hinkle wrote:
    > >> I checked the FAQ but didn't see any mention of C99 support in
    > >> today's compilers. In particular I'm interested in VLA support. Any
    > >> links or info about the status? I read that GCC had experimental VLA
    > >> support since before C99 and that it still isn't
    > >> exactly the same as the C99 VLA.

    > > Hunt down the gnu home page for gcc (unsure about URL). They maintain
    > > a page specifying the degree of C99 compliance achieved, with details.

    > Googling gcc c99 status yields <http://gcc.gnu.org/c99status.html>.

    In case its not on there I can confirm that GCC has supported
    VLAS since before gcc-2.95.

    Erik
    Erik de Castro Lopo
    "Allaah has forbidden the believers to take the kaafireen
    (disbelievers) as friends, and He has issued a stern warning
    against doing that." --
    http://islamqa.com/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=59879&dgn=4

    Erik de Castro Lopo, Dec 15, 2005
  6. Ben Hinkle

    Flash Gordon Guest

    Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
    > Keith Thompson wrote:
    >>> Hunt down the gnu home page for gcc (unsure about URL). They maintain
    >>> a page specifying the degree of C99 compliance achieved, with details.

    >> Googling gcc c99 status yields <http://gcc.gnu.org/c99status.html>.

    > In case its not on there I can confirm that GCC has supported
    > VLAS since before gcc-2.95.

    However that support does not conform to the C99 standard and GNU have
    never claimed that it conformed to the C99 standard.
    --
    Flash Gordon
    Living in interesting times.

    Flash Gordon, Dec 15, 2005
  7. Ben Hinkle

    Jordan Abel Guest

    On 2005-12-15, Flash Gordon <> wrote:
    > Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
    >> Keith Thompson wrote:
    >>> Googling gcc c99 status yields <http://gcc.gnu.org/c99status.html>.

    >> In case its not on there I can confirm that GCC has supported
    >> VLAS since before gcc-2.95.

    > However that support does not conform to the C99 standard and GNU have
    > never claimed that it conformed to the C99 standard.

    In the implementation table it's listed as "broken" - out of curiosity,
    how does the gcc implementation differ from that in the c99 standard?

    Jordan Abel, Dec 15, 2005