Suppress ServerValidate on Page?

philaphan80

(Tried this in another group with no response........)

This may or may not be possible, so please let me know either way. I'm
just attempting to do something fancy and I haven't been able to find
any documentation on this specific issue anywhere.

I have a custom validator which runs only on the server side. It
"attaches" itself to a label to display one error message at a time.
So, if multiple validation controls fail, it only displays the first
one in line. Once corrected, it will display the second one. And so
on.

So far, it's working well both alone and in multiple instances.

Because it's designed to only display one message, allowing the page to
validate the other controls is overkill.

What I'd like to do is skip the other validators if one of them fails.
At this point, I'm able to trap and exit the validation within the
custom control's ServerValidate function, but I'm having a problem
skipping it on the page itself. If the ServerValidate function is
added to the Page, it runs even if it's been told to exit from within
the custom control.

Is there a command (or workaround) that will allow me to override or
exit the event in the page's code-behind from within the custom
control?

[Custom Control]

Private Sub CustomServerValidator_ServerValidate(ByVal source As
Object, ByVal args As
System.Web.UI.WebControls.ServerValidateEventArgs) Handles
Me.ServerValidate

For Each item As CustomServerValidator In Page.Validators

If Not item.IsValid Then

Exit Sub

End If

Next

If Me.ValidateEmptyText AndAlso args.Value = "" Then

args.IsValid = False
CType(Page.FindControl(Me.ErrorLabel), Label).Text =
Me.ErrorMessage

End If

End Sub

End Class

[Page]

Protected Sub CustomServerValidator1_ServerValidate(ByVal source As

Object, ByVal args As
System.Web.UI.WebControls.ServerValidateEventArgs) Handles
CustomServerValidator1.ServerValidate

MsgBox("I ran anyway!")

End Sub

Protected Sub CustomServerValidator2_ServerValidate(ByVal source As