survey: what editor do you use to hack ruby?

Lowell Kirsh

I've been having a tough time getting emacs set up properly with ruby
which led me to look for a different IDE to use. Which led me to ownder:
what editors/IDEs do most ruby users use?

Lowell

Alexandru Popescu

#: the mind was *winged* after Lowell Kirsh said on 6/14/2005 1:00 PM :#
I've been having a tough time getting emacs set up properly with ruby
which led me to look for a different IDE to use. Which led me to ownder:
what editors/IDEs do most ruby users use?

Lowell
ArachnoRuby - great product; gonna be even greater

:alex |.::the_mindstorm::.|

David Jacobs

2005/6/14 said:
Sweet. I didn't know such a thing existed. Is it mature?

Well, I've never used many IDEs before so I don't know how to compare
nor what to expect from a mature IDE. Eclipse is mature ofcourse, RDT
is still work in progress. I've tried other IDEs -- the others already
mentioned here and JEdit (http://www.jedit.org) -- but Eclipse was to
one which worked very intuitive for me. It's subjective, I know. ;-)

Cheers,
David
=20
David said:
2005/6/14 said:
I've been having a tough time getting emacs set up properly with ruby
which led me to look for a different IDE to use. Which led me to ownder= :
what editors/IDEs do most ruby users use?

I use Eclipse [1] with the Ruby Development Tools-plugin [2].

Cheers,
David

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/
[2] http://rubyeclipse.sourceforge.net/
=20

R. Mark Volkmann

Quoting Lowell Kirsh said:
I've been having a tough time getting emacs set up properly with ruby
which led me to look for a different IDE to use. Which led me to ownder:
what editors/IDEs do most ruby users use?

I've been using gvim for the past two months. It's been an interesting
experiment. I used to hate vi, but was somewhat forced into this due to some
very restrictive network access. This turned into a quest to answer the
question "Would I be more productive if I moved the mouse away and focused on
doing everything from the keyboard?" For me the answer, after some learning
curve, has been yes. I think the target audience for vi and clones like gvim
is people that want to keep their hands on the keyboard in order to increase
their productivity.

Devin Mullins

Lowell said:
I've been having a tough time getting emacs set up properly with ruby
which led me to look for a different IDE to use. Which led me to
ownder: what editors/IDEs do most ruby users use?

I'm using the aforementioned jEdit (http://www.jedit.org/) and Ruby
plugin (http://www.jedit.org/ruby/). (Note, if you go to install the
plugin, that it fails to list one dependency in the instructions:
ErrorList.)

I've only used it for a week (for that matter, I've only used Ruby for
two and a half), but the color highlighting is fine (not perfect - $ in
a Regex, __END__ throw it off for example), and the integrated ri is
nice, though it fails to mention a given classes superclass and mixins,
so I still end up flipping between the IDE and Firefox. There's also a
rough autocomplete (shows you whatever's in rdoc, regardless of the
owning class), though it rarely does any good. It does, however, do its
job of being a text editor with a "project" view to help you edit
multiple files at once.

That's not to knock it, Mr. Plugin Creator, wherever you are. It's new,
and I still like it.

Devin

Gavin Kistner

--Apple-Mail-2-861581450
delsp=yes;
format=flowed

I've been having a tough time getting emacs set up properly with
ruby which led me to look for a different IDE to use. Which led me
to ownder: what editors/IDEs do most ruby users use?

Windows: SciTE
MacOS X: TextMate (with BBEdit thrown into the mix)

--Apple-Mail-2-861581450--

Karl von Laudermann

David said:
2005/6/14, Lowell Kirsh <[email protected]>:
I've tried other IDEs -- the others already
mentioned here and JEdit (http://www.jedit.org) -- but Eclipse was to
one which worked very intuitive for me. It's subjective, I know. ;-)

The thing I like about jEdit is that it grows with you. By itself, it's
not much more than a text editor. But there are tons of plugins
available, which you can install to add IDE-grade features. So as
you're working with jEdit, and you find yourself wanting a particular
feature, chances are you'll be able to quickly find a plugin that adds
it (since the mechanism for listing and installing plugins is built
right into the app, so you don't have to go hunting all over the web or
anything).

James Britt

Lowell said:
I've been having a tough time getting emacs set up properly with ruby
which led me to look for a different IDE to use. Which led me to ownder:
what editors/IDEs do most ruby users use?

gvim.

James

Jean-Claude Arbaut

Well... pico, plus grep/sed/awk/... when needed. For ruby, and any other
language. Ok, it's not really an IDE. The good point is I don't use ed :)

Thomas Kirchner

--NKoe5XOeduwbEQHU

* On Jun 14 20:00 said:
I've been having a tough time getting emacs set up properly with ruby=20
which led me to look for a different IDE to use. Which led me to=20
ownder: what editors/IDEs do most ruby users use?

Vim or Gvim, depending on the situation. Once you know the basics,=20
nothing else will compare. (except maybe you emacs heretics...)
Tom

--NKoe5XOeduwbEQHU

--NKoe5XOeduwbEQHU--

stevetuckner

Lowell said:
I've been having a tough time getting emacs set up properly with ruby
which led me to look for a different IDE to use. Which led me to
ownder: what editors/IDEs do most ruby users use?

Lowell
On Windows I use a non-free editor called Source Insight. I defined my
own language definition file and will send it to anyone that is
interested. What it offers is a nice symbol database, a overview of each
file on the left side of each source window that shows just the symbol
definitions in that file (and those can be incrementally searched to get
to a function or class definition quickly), and a way to parse output
after running a process so that they are linked up to the source line
where the error occured or a trace was put out. I also use it for all my
C work as well and it works well for that.

Steve Tuckner

Thomas

As a follow-up on the other people mentioning (g)vim: I think it should
be pointed out that you can embed a ruby interpreter in (g)vim and then
program the editor with ruby or run ruby code right from within vim.