SuSE 9.1: updating to python-2.4

Torsten Mohr

Hi,

along with my distribution SuSE 9.1 came python 2.3.3.

I'd like to update to 2.4 now, is this an easy thing to do
or will lots of installed modules refuse to work then?

Is there an easy way to find out what i need to update?

Thanks for any hints,
Torsten.

Peter Maas

Torsten said:
along with my distribution SuSE 9.1 came python 2.3.3.

I'd like to update to 2.4 now, is this an easy thing to do
or will lots of installed modules refuse to work then?

Is there an easy way to find out what i need to update?

I uninstalled 2.3.3 and compiled/installed 2.4 from source.
Now there is a problem: each time I change my system, SuSE tries
to reinstall 2.3.3 because of dependencies. I tried to mark
SuSE-Python as tabu (taboo?) but this it isn't stored. Not sure
if it is my fault or SuSE's. I'm too lazy to track it down.

Perhaps you can do a regular upgrade via FTP. I didn't try that.

David Fraser

Torsten said:
Hi,

along with my distribution SuSE 9.1 came python 2.3.3.

I'd like to update to 2.4 now, is this an easy thing to do
or will lots of installed modules refuse to work then?

Is there an easy way to find out what i need to update?

Thanks for any hints,
Torsten.
What you probably want to do is install python2.4 alongside python2.3.3
as an alternate installation, since a lot of other programs in SuSE
probably depend on having python2.3.3 and won't work with the upgrade.

Have a look at the RPMs on the python 2.4 downloads page and see if you
can install them OK (I just did this fine for python 2.3 on whitebox linux).

David

Wolfram Kraus

Heyho!

Torsten said:
Hi,

along with my distribution SuSE 9.1 came python 2.3.3.

I'd like to update to 2.4 now, is this an easy thing to do or will
lots of installed modules refuse to work then?
I installed Python 2.4 under SuSE 9.1 and had no problems so far. If you
install it via "./configure;make;make install", python 2.4 will be
installed in /usr/local/lib/python2.4 parallel to your existing 2.3
installation under /usr/lib/python2.3.
Is there an easy way to find out what i need to update?
Just check out, which version comes up when you call "python" from the
shell. If this is version 2.3 you can start 2.4 with "python2.4"
All the installed packages for python2.3 (e.g. PIL, MySQLdb, wxPython,
....) need to be installed for the new version, too.
Thanks for any hints, Torsten.

HTH,
Wolfram

Peter Otten

Torsten said:
along with my distribution SuSE 9.1 came python 2.3.3.

I'd like to update to 2.4 now, is this an easy thing to do
or will lots of installed modules refuse to work then?

Is there an easy way to find out what i need to update?

I shied away from a full upgrade and installed 2.4 from source just to play
around with it. This is painless if you use

make altinstall

instead of

make install

If you want Tkinter support you have to install the tk-devel package before
configuring 2.4.

One easy way to find out what depends on python is to mark python for
removal in yast, then click the [Abhängigkeiten prüfen] (check
dependencies) button -- and probably cancel the changes afterwards.

Peter