SVG: competing dynamic graphic generating modalities

BMM

Hi. I am involved in a project that I think is a perfect candidate for an
SVG-based implementation (web-enabled, data-driven). However, a
subcontractor has suggested that SVG is not the way to go. In fact, he is
currently involved in migrating at least one data-driven SVG-based app to
Microsoft's SQL Server "Reporting Services", which also has dynamic graphics
generating capabilities (see
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reporting/default.asp).

Is anyone familiar with this technology? I have the feeling that one
compares apples and oranges when attempting to compare SVG and Reporting
Services, but I don't know how to "make the case" for SVG.

Can anyone help me in comparing/contrasting the two technologies?

brian