SVG rendering

theoryboy

I'm trying to run a Java application that renders an animated SVG
diagram. I have three options to do this:

(i) Use a Java library to render the SVG inside a Swing component. The
only library I can find that supports animation is SVGSalamander and
I'm having trouble getting it to work. I've Emailed the developer, but
does anybody have any alternatives?

(ii) Invoke a browser which renders the SVG using the Adobe SVG plugin.
Unfortunately (and this is embarrassing) I can't get Internet Explorer
to open SVG animations without complaining aobut blocking ActiveX
components. I've tried a wide variety of settings in the security
preferences tab but I really can't get it to work. Can anybody help
with this?

(iii) Convert the SVG into another animated format, such as animated
gif. The best I can find to do this is here:
http://www.treebuilder.de/default.asp?file=43071.xml but I have a lot
of SVGs to convert and this looks pretty time consuming.

Any help much appreciated,

Peter

Martin Honnen

(i) Use a Java library to render the SVG inside a Swing component. The
only library I can find that supports animation is SVGSalamander and
I'm having trouble getting it to work. I've Emailed the developer, but
does anybody have any alternatives?

The next version of the Apache Batik SVG package, including the SVG
renderer, is currently under development and SMIL animation support has
already been checked in. I think they even provide nightly builds. So
depending on your time frame you could start developing with the current
development version of Batik and have the application use the new Batik
release once it is ready.