Swaping from TCP to serial port protocol.

Discussion in 'Java' started by k2, Apr 24, 2007.

  1. k2

    k2 Guest

    Hello, I'm in a rather sticky situation here. Project is in real
    jeopardy because hardware device my java module is interfacing with is
    having a difficult time with onboard ethernet services, bringing up a
    question on feasibility of moving my socket based protocol interface
    which serves and receives xml documents to and from this device to a
    more primitive, but direct, serial port protocol directly to this
    device. I'm googling around and finding javax.comm.* information on how
    to wire it up, but not sure of the extent of pitfalls and problems doing
    this may encounter. I'm assuming part of my pain will be in handling
    response context including retry transmissions on missed data, etc. Any
    chance anyone here has had experience with this, ideally in Java?

    Appreciate any information, insights,

    k2
    Please remove the killspam portion of
    my return address if replying directly

    k2, Apr 24, 2007

  2. k2 wrote:
    > Hello, I'm in a rather sticky situation here. Project is in real
    > jeopardy because hardware device my java module is interfacing with is
    > having a difficult time with onboard ethernet services, bringing up a
    > question on feasibility of moving my socket based protocol interface
    > which serves and receives xml documents to and from this device to a
    > more primitive, but direct, serial port protocol directly to this
    > device. I'm googling around and finding javax.comm.* information on how
    > to wire it up, but not sure of the extent of pitfalls and problems doing
    > this may encounter. I'm assuming part of my pain will be in handling
    > response context including retry transmissions on missed data, etc. Any
    > chance anyone here has had experience with this, ideally in Java?
    >
    > Appreciate any information, insights,
    >
    > k2

    I've done a fair amount of data over serial port but most of it has not
    required serious error checking. What error checking we have done has
    been limited to some sort of checksum on the data. That is really easy
    to implement and is probably good enough in many instances. It should
    be easy enough to write a more sophisticated protocol but you would have
    to decide if it was worth the investment for the reliability increase.

    Just for my curiosity what sort of problem is your device having with
    the ethernet connection?

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute/