Swaping from TCP to serial port protocol.

k2

Hello, I'm in a rather sticky situation here. Project is in real
jeopardy because hardware device my java module is interfacing with is
having a difficult time with onboard ethernet services, bringing up a
question on feasibility of moving my socket based protocol interface
which serves and receives xml documents to and from this device to a
more primitive, but direct, serial port protocol directly to this
device. I'm googling around and finding javax.comm.* information on how
to wire it up, but not sure of the extent of pitfalls and problems doing
this may encounter. I'm assuming part of my pain will be in handling
response context including retry transmissions on missed data, etc. Any
chance anyone here has had experience with this, ideally in Java?

Appreciate any information, insights,

k2

Knute Johnson

k2 said:
Hello, I'm in a rather sticky situation here. Project is in real
jeopardy because hardware device my java module is interfacing with is
having a difficult time with onboard ethernet services, bringing up a
question on feasibility of moving my socket based protocol interface
which serves and receives xml documents to and from this device to a
more primitive, but direct, serial port protocol directly to this
device. I'm googling around and finding javax.comm.* information on how
to wire it up, but not sure of the extent of pitfalls and problems doing
this may encounter. I'm assuming part of my pain will be in handling
response context including retry transmissions on missed data, etc. Any
chance anyone here has had experience with this, ideally in Java?

Appreciate any information, insights,

k2

I've done a fair amount of data over serial port but most of it has not
required serious error checking. What error checking we have done has
been limited to some sort of checksum on the data. That is really easy
to implement and is probably good enough in many instances. It should
be easy enough to write a more sophisticated protocol but you would have
to decide if it was worth the investment for the reliability increase.

Just for my curiosity what sort of problem is your device having with
the ethernet connection?