Sweet! I found a worthwhile game engine!

Discussion in 'Java' started by Luc The Perverse, Dec 18, 2005.

  1. Hey - I asked previously (it was a long time ago) about a good free game
    engine for Java.

    I finally found one that does everything I need, and it's not slow at all.
    As a test I put 10000 moving animated sprites on a page - the FPS dropped,
    but the game didn't lag or stall or anything.

    WHOOHOO!! I am excited.

    If everything goes well, I'm hoping to make a game that is somewhat like a
    cross between Zelda II - Adventures of Link (NES) and Street Fighter II
    (SNES) but with Final Fantasy type objectives, and a unprecendentedly HUGE
    world.

    My question is this.

    Does anyone know where I can get free tilesets, "spell" and weapon sprites,
    and game sounds (clanging, spells, fire, death etc)?

    In the very beginning I can steal stuff like this, but I'd like to be able
    to give away or sell my game when I am done - so I will need public domain
    stuff, or a ready way to make my own custom things - a talent which I don't
    believe I possess.

    --
    LTP

    :)

    Luc The Perverse, Dec 18, 2005

  2. Luc The Perverse wrote:
    > Hey - I asked previously (it was a long time ago) about a good free game
    > engine for Java.
    >
    > I finally found one that does everything I need, and it's not slow at all.

    Which engine?

    Jeffrey Schwab, Dec 19, 2005

  3. Luc The Perverse

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Jeffrey Schwab" <> wrote in message
    > Which engine?

    Our kids are having a great time with the (non-Java) Game Maker environment
    (http://www.gamemaker.nl/) but it would be better to have an environment
    with a widely used robust language behind it so as to avoid wasting time on
    working around the shortcomings of the specialized language.

    Mickey Segal, Dec 19, 2005
  4. "Jeffrey Schwab" <> wrote in message
    > Luc The Perverse wrote:
    >> Hey - I asked previously (it was a long time ago) about a good free game
    >> engine for Java.
    >>
    >> I finally found one that does everything I need, and it's not slow at
    >> all.

    > Which engine?

    GTGE by GoldenStudios

    http://goldenstudios.or.id/products/GTGE/index.php

    But their website doesn't have anything on it as of 5 minutes ago???

    It was working earlier today - maybe they are just updating.

    It comes with some tutorials, but they are translated from another language.
    Need revision, nevertheless I still recommend them [the tutorials].

    --
    LTP

    :)

    Luc The Perverse, Dec 19, 2005
  5. "Mickey Segal" <> wrote in message
    > "Jeffrey Schwab" <> wrote in message
    >> Which engine?

    > Our kids are having a great time with the (non-Java) Game Maker
    > environment (http://www.gamemaker.nl/) but it would be better to have an
    > environment with a widely used robust language behind it so as to avoid
    > wasting time on working around the shortcomings of the specialized
    > language.

    I looked at the website. Looks fun :)

    I should mention that I was specifically looking for a 2D engine.

    For 3D engines - I looked into the Quake and Half Life engines, but I cannot
    sell games that I make with those without paying an incredible fee.

    I did work with a free 3D game engine once, that ran from a DLL, so I used
    C++. I made a flight simulation (plane and helicoptor) from it - but not
    having tools to modify 3d renders, I eventually gave up.

    Fact is - I doubt I can compete with existing 3D games. I want to make
    something fun, interesting and inventive. I had lots of fun with sprite
    based games in my life :) I'm not opposed to the 3D aspect - but it just
    seems that for most 3D games I have played, the graphics, not the
    playability are foremost.

    --
    LTP

    :)