Sweet! I found a worthwhile game engine!

Luc The Perverse

Hey - I asked previously (it was a long time ago) about a good free game
engine for Java.

I finally found one that does everything I need, and it's not slow at all.
As a test I put 10000 moving animated sprites on a page - the FPS dropped,
but the game didn't lag or stall or anything.

WHOOHOO!! I am excited.

If everything goes well, I'm hoping to make a game that is somewhat like a
cross between Zelda II - Adventures of Link (NES) and Street Fighter II
(SNES) but with Final Fantasy type objectives, and a unprecendentedly HUGE
world.

My question is this.

Does anyone know where I can get free tilesets, "spell" and weapon sprites,
and game sounds (clanging, spells, fire, death etc)?

In the very beginning I can steal stuff like this, but I'd like to be able
to give away or sell my game when I am done - so I will need public domain
stuff, or a ready way to make my own custom things - a talent which I don't
believe I possess.

Jeffrey Schwab

Luc said:
Hey - I asked previously (it was a long time ago) about a good free game
engine for Java.

I finally found one that does everything I need, and it's not slow at all.

Which engine?

Mickey Segal

Jeffrey Schwab said:
Which engine?

Our kids are having a great time with the (non-Java) Game Maker environment
(http://www.gamemaker.nl/) but it would be better to have an environment
with a widely used robust language behind it so as to avoid wasting time on
working around the shortcomings of the specialized language.

Luc The Perverse

Mickey Segal said:
Our kids are having a great time with the (non-Java) Game Maker
environment (http://www.gamemaker.nl/) but it would be better to have an
environment with a widely used robust language behind it so as to avoid
wasting time on working around the shortcomings of the specialized
language.

I looked at the website. Looks fun :)

I should mention that I was specifically looking for a 2D engine.

For 3D engines - I looked into the Quake and Half Life engines, but I cannot
sell games that I make with those without paying an incredible fee.

I did work with a free 3D game engine once, that ran from a DLL, so I used
C++. I made a flight simulation (plane and helicoptor) from it - but not
having tools to modify 3d renders, I eventually gave up.

Fact is - I doubt I can compete with existing 3D games. I want to make
something fun, interesting and inventive. I had lots of fun with sprite
based games in my life :) I'm not opposed to the 3D aspect - but it just
seems that for most 3D games I have played, the graphics, not the
playability are foremost.