SWF methods and standard compliant XHTML

Andrew Poulos

The page I'm building needs a Flash media element (a SWF) included in
it. The page is XHTML Strict compliant, which means that the EMBED tag
should not be used. The "satay" technique [1] allows for SWF using the
OBJECT tag on IE, FF, etc.

One can readily communicate with a SWF using JavaScript and a number of
"standard" methods. For example:

var oSWF = document.getElementByID("foo");
oSWF.Play();

But without an EMBED tag it appears that non-IE browsers do not
recognise the "standard" methods. Is there a way to get a compliant page
to recognise "standard" methods on non-IE browsers?

Andrew Poulos

[1] <url:
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/flash_satay.html >