SWING components adjustment in different resolutions - Should show scrollbars less than 800X600 and

Discussion in 'Java' started by Bluetears76, Jul 1, 2004.

  1. Bluetears76

    Bluetears76 Guest

    I want to create a fairly complex GUI using any IDE at 800x600
    resolutions and then I need the GUI to adjust itself on 1024X768 and
    high resolutions. If I reduce the resolution, it should show
    Scrollbars.
    In otherwords, i need a layout which is expanding but should not
    shrink from a certain level and show scrollbars instead.
    Currently I am using JBuilder X to create the GUI with null layout and
    use scrollbars when the resolution is reduced but when the resolution
    is increased it shows empty space on right side.
    Questions
    1. Which layout to use to do that?
    2. What is the best IDE to speed up such process and set the
    components with the recommended layout
    3. If I use Gridbag layout, which is not easy to set for complex
    GUIs, how will I show scrollbars when the resolutions is reduced from
    800x600

    P.s. I have seen JGoodies forms and its layout, but could not find a
    good IDE to work with it.

    Regards

    Bluetears76, Jul 1, 2004

  2. "Bluetears76" <> wrote in message
    > I want to create a fairly complex GUI using any IDE at 800x600
    > resolutions and then I need the GUI to adjust itself on 1024X768 and
    > high resolutions. If I reduce the resolution, it should show
    > Scrollbars.
    > In otherwords, i need a layout which is expanding but should not
    > shrink from a certain level and show scrollbars instead.
    > Currently I am using JBuilder X to create the GUI with null layout and
    > use scrollbars when the resolution is reduced but when the resolution
    > is increased it shows empty space on right side.
    > Questions
    > 1. Which layout to use to do that?
    > 2. What is the best IDE to speed up such process and set the
    > components with the recommended layout

    You have to handle the case of different font sizes. The default
    font sizes and sizes of fonts created in the normal way (using
    the contructor that takes a point size argument) may vary widely.
    The "same" font may be four times larger on one system than
    another. A null layout is no good unless all the elements have
    a fixed size.

    > 3. If I use Gridbag layout, which is not easy to set for complex
    > GUIs, how will I show scrollbars when the resolutions is reduced from
    > 800x600

    Just put the panel in a JScrollPane. When the size goes below the
    minimum layout size, the scrollbars will appear. You may have to
    tinker a bit with the minimum size of some components (by
    subclassing and overriding getMinimumSize()) to get it to behave
    exactly as you want.

    Larry Barowski, Jul 1, 2004