Swing components and weird bidirectional text handling

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andrea Desole, Sep 19, 2006.

  1. I have a weird bug to solve.
    If I copy and paste in a JTextField the following string (hope you can
    see it):

    قكطABC

    it shows correctly. However, when the same string is added to a JList,
    it's shown as:

    ABCقكط

    which is not what I want. This is because the text is a mixture of
    Arabic (right to left) and Western (left ro right).
    According to this bug:

    the component doing the things correctly is the JList, and not the
    JTextField.
    Now, why is the JList correct? If I write Arabic on the left and Western
    on the right it means that I want it that way. Why is the list changing
    it? Can I prevent the list from changing?
    Also, how can I have at least a consistent behavior? Using Ctrl-Shift-O
    as described in the bug report doesn't seem to help

    Andrea Desole, Sep 19, 2006