Swing hardware acceleration?

bob smith

Anyone know if Swing can take advantage of hardware acceleration?

Would it be folly to try to write a serious game like Angry Birds using Swing?

markspace

Anyone know if Swing can take advantage of hardware acceleration?

Probably. That would be up to the JVM though.

Would it be folly to try to write a serious game like Angry Birds using Swing?

Probably. Neither Android nor iOS use Swing, so what would be the point?

Daniel Pitts

Anyone know if Swing can take advantage of hardware acceleration?

Would it be folly to try to write a serious game like Angry Birds using Swing?
Yes, swing does take advantage of some hardware acceleration, research
VolatileImage for more info.

bob smith

Yes, swing does take advantage of some hardware acceleration, research

VolatileImage for more info.

Yes. It is very fast now. It is nice to get speed without the difficulty of OpenGL.

Arne Vajhøj

Knute Johnson

Anyone know if Swing can take advantage of hardware acceleration?

Would it be folly to try to write a serious game like Angry Birds using Swing?

You can do pretty well without any additional hardware acceleration,
just with the speed of Swing. See my Asteroids game at
http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/ for an example. It's not at the level
of Angry Birds but I think you could write a game similar to Angry Birds
in Swing without any trouble.